Code of ethics question

tater

Elite Member
Okay. I have been a member of my local club since it started 7 years ago. About 3 years ago i took a guy with me that i went to school with. This was private property in a field. I researched and found on a map where a house had been in the mid 1800s. We met at a local store and drove out there 20 miles away. When we parked i told him i had 3 rules. Fill your holes, take everything you find and never come back without me. The next day i was in the area and passed the guy going back out there. That ended our friendship and i called him asking what he was doing. He said he was going back out there. I told him i was calling the farmer as well as the police. Anyway this guy has 14 trespassing citations against him i have found out. He has decided to join my club. Heres the question. After informing the president of the club and the vice president they let this guy in. I do not want to be associated with this kind of people and i have decided to not be a member. Is this the right thing to do

If I were you, I'd probably leave. Especially if your 'friend' is angry at you that you called the police.

You could still go metal detecting with members, even if you're not part of the club anymore, right?

If the vice president asks, why you are leaving, you could explain everything again, maybe that'll make him change his mind. :)

If I were you, I'd probably leave. Especially if your 'friend' is angry at you that you called the police.

You could still go metal detecting with members, even if you're not part of the club anymore, right?

If the vice president asks, why you are leaving, you could explain everything again, maybe that'll make him change his mind. :)

I forgot to mention i have permission for 30,000 acres of fields. If he was busted in one because of me i would lose permission fast. The farmers talk and most know each other here. We also have a huge facebook site and a private site for members only that we talk about our sites. I blocked the guy but still is annoying. I dont want to be associated with this kind of behavior

I'd tell the farmers about this guy and that you don't detect with him because of his ethics. Being straight foward with the land owners should keep you on good terms with them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think you answered your own question. " I don't want to be associated with this type of behavior ". Besides I'm guessing not to many people get the law involved unless there have been warnings and repeated problems. For him to have 17 trespassing citations, shame on the group for letting him in. Keep your morals, and walk away. You can work years for a good reputation and someone like that could destroy it in one day.

One thing I have learned lately on the forum, there is NO code of ethics in metal detecting. It's a pirates world, permission is no longer needed, and it's get yours before he gets his.

The days of expecting others to be ethical are gone. I invited a guy to detect a spot where three victorian houses were back in the day. We were to go that Saturday, together... Instead, Friday afternoon while I was working he sent me pics of two silver dimes from that spot.... told me all I needed to know about his level of ethics!

It's like sports and steroids.... you can stay all natural if you want to, but you won't be playing on a level playing field...

Same with our hobby, I've seen it time and again... If you are asking permissions, if you are abiding by a code of ethics, if you are relying on a friendship to keep things fair.... you are not playing on the same level playing field that they are... As sad as that is, it's the time that we live in. It's every man for himself, and asking permissions or following code of ethics is so 1972, apparently.

All you can do it stop taking people to your spots, because I've seen it too many times, it's rare that your "buddy" plays by the same rules you do. Accept it, adapt and move on man.

If having him in the club is a deal breaker, then find another club... no shame in finding yourself a better fit.

One thing I have learned lately on the forum, there is NO code of ethics in metal detecting. It's a pirates world, permission is no longer needed, and it's get yours before he gets his.

The days of expecting others to be ethical are gone. I invited a guy to detect a spot where three victorian houses were back in the day. We were to go that Saturday, together... Instead, Friday afternoon while I was working he sent me pics of two silver dimes from that spot.... told me all I needed to know about his level of ethics!

It's like sports and steroids.... you can stay all natural if you want to, but you won't be playing on a level playing field...

Same with our hobby, I've seen it time and again... If you are asking permissions, if you are abiding by a code of ethics, if you are relying on a friendship to keep things fair.... you are not playing on the same level playing field that they are... As sad as that is, it's the time that we live in. It's every man for himself, and asking permissions or following code of wthics is so 1972....

All you can do it stop taking people to your spots, because I've seen it too many times, it's rare that your "buddy" plays by the same rules you do. Accept it, adapt and move on man.

If having him in the club is a deal breaker, then find another club... no shame in finding yourself a better fit.

Trespass on state land with your little crew, dig GW inaugural buttons and other exceptional colonial finds, get a detector company to sponsor you, leave here and become Facebook/Youtube gods...that's how it works these days:yes: Seeing all this and I'm quick giving up on caring myself...I'm going to start hunting above the mean high tide line on the beach:laughing:

If I'm understanding your time-line of events, you only told him your criteria AFTER you arrived there at the site ?

If I research and find a site with potential, and when I co-invite buddies to join me, this "site-finder's code" is something we spell out BEFORE EVEN LEAVING to go to the site.

Sure, a person can still back-stab you either way. But just saying, you waited till you were right on the door-step of the exact spot you were going to hunt. He could have said "no I don't agree to those terms". Yet now he'd have known the spot, and been under no "code" between you too.

I iron out site-finder's code before ever leaving on the trip.

Unless the club let him join to educate him, they are not doing what they should be. In fact they are putting all of the members at risk for his acts. Not all clubs are the same. I was the president of one for six years and we all had a good time. I have seen others that I want no part of.

Heres the question. After informing the president of the club and the vice president they let this guy in. I do not want to be associated with this kind of people and i have decided to not be a member. Is this the right thing to do

If the pres and vp have no problem with a guy with 14 trespassing citations joining the club, I would think that they themselves have no problem trespassing. Those are not people I would want to associate with. Other detectorists in the area that know this guy will likely judge the whole club by him alone. As they say - it only takes one bad apple.

There are good clubs and bad clubs. Some just care about getting the membership dues. One club by me had the president get in trouble for embezzling the clubs money. I would quit the club and if you call the farm and explain to them that you have stopped being a member of the club and you apologize for any harm done I'm sure they will be ok with you still hunting there.

Trespassing whatsoever is what bothers me. I wouldn't even consider it. This guy sounds like a real jack!!! and I wouldn't want to EVER associate with someone like that. I feel like there is some sort of "unspoken rule" when it comes to this hobby and that guy has broken them.

14 counts of trespassing against him ?
There is no way I would be caught anywhere near this criminal .
If he is willing to jump that many fences over a few old relics or coins I would guess he would have no problem with going a step further to gather more spoils .
If I knew a person like this I would not even want them to know where I live or even my name. Find a hunting buddy that has your back .
Nobody is perfect in this world but I'd say dump that club .

Best thing you could have done is leave. I would not be associated with anyone like that or a club that condones that behavior. I have ended 2 friendships due the lying to homeowners and breaking the law as they did. I would make sure all your landowners that you have permission for knows about him and anyone that supports these acts.

Clubs are over-rated anyways.

In my limited experience with a club, this is the case. Lots of drama and lots of people looking to "claim jump" so to speak. I keep my locations to a small number of trusted people. How do they become trusted you ask? They share a good spot with me first, then I trust them. :lol:

You're in a "catch 22" dilemma, sooner or later , I suspect "since he is new" the novelty of finding nothing significant , will wear out . The next thing you know , he won't even remember he has a detector. Let time play it out . In other words "sometimes you have to let the cards play out"

Back
Top Bottom