• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help with saving a pewter button

budaf250

Forum Supporter
Detecting a farm field with history dating back to early 1700's. I came across a large Pewter button in great shape. After brushing it off and setting it aside for the night. I got up to find out a small spot on the edge rotted away. And it is starting to pit all over. Do I use clear nail polish to seal it?

The key with preserving pewter is to carry a small zip-loc baggy with you ! When you recover a pewter item you must keep it moist , so place it into the baggy with the moist damp dirt from the hole . this will keep it from drying out and crumbling apart at the edges. When you get it home delicately clean it with soap and water under the faucet , then place it in an Elmer's glue and water mixture and let it soak in this for 45 minutes to an hour . pat dry then place on a dry hard surface not a paper towel.

The key with preserving pewter is to carry a small zip-loc baggy with you ! When you recover a pewter item you must keep it moist , so place it into the baggy with the moist damp dirt from the hole . this will keep it from drying out and crumbling apart at the edges. When you get it home delicately clean it with soap and water under the faucet , then place it in an Elmer's glue and water mixture and let it soak in this for 45 minutes to an hour . pat dry then place on a dry hard surface not a paper towel.

Will every item made of pewter you find do this ?

Thank so much for your input. I will do so from now. The farm we are hunting has super history bating back to the 1700's. And the French, British and the Iroquois. Had a small battle in the field. So far I have found the pewter button, a ram rod tube from a black power rifle, and a British Farthing the bronze type.

Will every item made of pewter you find do this ?

Old pewter left in the ground long enough for it to leach into the soil

Thank so much for your input. I will do so from now. The farm we are hunting has super history bating back to the 1700's. And the French, British and the Iroquois. Had a small battle in the field. So far I have found the pewter button, a ram rod tube from a black power rifle, and a British Farthing the bronze type.

Your welcome

Back
Top Bottom