Which coil to learn the Nokta Makro Simplex +

Smurfe

I ordered a Nokta Makro Simplex + a couple of days ago. It will arrive I believe Wednesday. It will be coming with 2 coils. The stock and the SP24. I am brand new to metal detecting and was just wondering which coil to use to learn the machine or does it really make any difference? From the many reviews I have watched on YouTube, I tend to think I would just use the SP24 coil.

i started with the standard coil and did not enjoy the machine. but i am pretty new to this.
didn't find much stuff but that is probably my fault.

but i bought the SP24 and added the stiffer carbon fiber shaft. then i started finding stuff.

again, it is likely my shortcomings and then getting a little more experience. but since i got the smaller coil i found three pieces of silver and the lower leg doesn't wobble as it did with the bigger coil.

it seems to be easier to pinpoint also. Haven't read of anyone here using the concentric SP22. any one here try that one?

Last edited:
i started with the standard coil and did not enjoy the machine. but i am pretty new to this.
didn't find much stuff but that is probably my fault.

but i bought the SP24 and added the stiffer carbon fiber shaft. then i started finding stuff.

again, it is likely my shortcomings and then getting a little more experience. but since i got the smaller coil i found three pieces of silver and the lower leg doesn't wobble as it did with the bigger coil.

it seems to be easier to pinpoint also. Haven't read of anyone hear using the concentric SP22. any one here try that one?

Thank you for the feedback! This is the stuff I want to hear. Before you got the carbon fiber shaft, did you have the pre-fix shaft? I saw a video somewhere where they started adding some type of bushing or something that corrected the wobble.

I bought my Simplex+ in the spring. The shaft it came with did have a little wobble but it wasn't a big deal.

If you are going to go back and forth with the 2 coils it is easier if they each have their own shaft.

And if you buy a 2nd shaft why not spend a few extra bucks? You get lightness, stiffness, and it's cool looking!

I bought my Simplex+ in the spring. The shaft it came with did have a little wobble but it wasn't a big deal.

If you are going to go back and forth with the 2 coils it is easier if they each have their own shaft.

And if you buy a 2nd shaft why not spend a few extra bucks? You get lightness, stiffness, and it's cool looking!

Oh, if I need to buy another shaft I will definitely get the carbon fiber shaft. I just don't want to buy one unless I need to.

The bushing helped with twisting ... But it still flexes .. Thought about getting the longer middle rod but they are out of stock

Before i bought my Simplex+ i bought Andy Sabisch's The Simplex+ Handbook.

I found it easy to read and it gave me a good start with the machine.

You'll find it online ranging from $16.95 to $21.95, some with free shipping, some not.

I bought it from his website treasurehuntingoutfitters.com.

At that time shipping was free and it came autographed.

I've been detecting over 56 years and got my Simplex plus when it was first released , and I have found it very comfortable to use.

I have never had an issue with the lower rod flexing too much. There are two things that typically cause Rod Flex. One is that someone over extends the lower rod and positions the search coil too far out in front. A proper search coil position should be about 12 in to 18 in front of your lead foot. The second thing that causes excessive Rod Flex is when people are sweeping side to side too briskly. The Simplex Plus, like most detectors manufactured today, performs well with a slow to moderate sweep speed.

My standard 11 inch coil worked fine when I first got it because there were no accessory coils available. Today, my 11 inch coil stays in my accessory coil tote unless I'm going to be working a wide-open beach. The 5X9.5 DD SP24 coil stays on my Simplex full-time. I find that it is more comfortable and provides me ample in the field performance, especially in more cluttered sites and that includes those with iron nails and other ferrous debris.

Monte

Last edited:

You'll find it online ranging from $16.95 to $21.95, some with free shipping, some not.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

I've been detecting over 56 years and got my Simplex plus when it was first released oh, and I have found it very comfortable to use.

I have never had an issue with the lower run flexing too much. There are two things that typically cause Rod Flex. One is that someone over extends the lower rod and positions to search coil too far out in front. A proper search coil position should be about 12 in to 18 in in front of your lead foot. The second thing that causes excessive Rod Flex is when people are sweeping side to side too briskly. The Simplex Plus, like most detectors manufactured today, performs well with a slow to moderate sweep speed.

My standard 11 inch coil worked fine when I first got it because there were no accessory coils available. Today, my 11 inch coil stays in my assessor equal tote unless I'm going to be working a wide-open beach. The 5X9.5 DD SP24 coil stays on my Simplex full-time. I find that it is more comfortable and provides me ample in the field performance, especially in more cluttered sites and that includes those with iron nails and other ferrous debris.

Monte

Thank you so much. This is the type of information I am seeking.

I'm trying to grasp the understanding of the coils. I'm aware the Nokia Simplex+ comes with a 11-inch coil but folks say the 5x9 SP24 coil that comes as an add on in some deals is the one to use. Why is that the case?

Good info from Monte.

I use the SP24 almost exclusively. Only when I relic hunt in a large area where I want more ground coverage do I use the stock coil.

I have had no issues with my rod. When positioned correctly it seems to be good for me.

gjdevlin: said:
I'm trying to grasp the understanding of the coils.
Welcome to being retired as well s to this great outdoor sport. I've been retired for over a decade now, and have been very involved in this great sport and industry for over 56 years and I can twll you this:

"I have been trying to grasp the understanding of the manufacturers when it comes to coil choices."

When I built my first three Metal / Mineral Locators staring in early '65, they had me wind a search coil that was about 8" in dimeter. Most of the vast array of detectors produced in that era and into the '70s had a 'standard coil' of 6" to 8" in diameter. In the latter '70s and into the early-to-mid '80s, the notable USA manufacturers generally offered their detectors with a 'standard' search coil from about 6" to 8" or maybe 8½", with popular units from Garrett, and the then-new Teknetics and Tesoro featuring 7", 7¼" and 7½" search coils. They were all round-shaped.

Some competitors were also in the ±7" diameter to the common 8" in diameter. Why did they use this size search coil? Simply because they worked just fine, they provided a comfortable weight and balance, and because they fit well in and around brush, metal structures in playgrounds, handled conditions around building rubble as well as operating near metal fences, etc. Not to mention being able to work well in very high-use locations with a lot of lost pocket change in close relationship.

There were some smaller-size coils on the market in the 4", 4½", 5" and 5½" round-shaped size, and most manufacturers also offered some larger-size coils that ranged from 10" to 11", 12", 14", 15" and even 16" in a round-shaped size. Almost all of the search coils after ±1976 were of a CoPlaner or Concentric type and very few Double-D coils were used, for practical known reasons based on performance compared with Concentrics.

Then by 1988 we noted two changes in search coil sizes and shapes and designs being used. We noted more elliptically-shaped coils being used, especially Double-D types, and especially for Gold Nugget Hunting detectors. Also, in '88, White's was the first major detector maker to start shifting to a '950' Concentric coil (measuring close to 9½" in diameter). It didn't take long before many other manufacturers started using a greater-than-9" coil, or 10", 10½", sort-of-elliptical 7X11 and then a round-shaped 11" coil as 'standard'. That was even on many of their lower-priced to mid-priced models as well as their top-of-the-line series.

What brought about these change? Marketing more than a beneficial in-the-field advantage. Sure, a Beach Hunter might benefit from a slightly larger-size coil for coverage of a wide-open beach. The same goes for those searching a plowed field, or maybe out in the center area of a big grassy park with minimal masking trash. Coverage was the primary benefit, and to some degree a little bit of extra depth over a 'standard' coil, depending upon the target size and shape.

However, the majority of the typical metal detecting 'Hobbyists' are into urban Coin Hunting most of the time and a 'standard' coil can provide all the coverage and performance they need. For hunting in tot-lots with metal playground structures, searching renovation projects, around building rubble, maybe a site with dense brush and weeds, or any locations with a lot of trash, closely-located coins, etc., etc., an 'Avid Detectorist' is going to be better-served if they use a smaller-size search coil, and in modestly-littered locations a good 'mid-size' coil can usually work well.

But the marketing folks at many detector making facilities continue to promote "more depth --- more depth", and to achieve that it might take a larger-size search coil. So many consumers are not finding very many desired targets like they hoped to, or used to, and that's because those early era opportunities had a lot of coins lost, but those of us who got an early start found a lot of them, and bringing us up-to-date others have found a lot of what we missed.

My first factory-produced detector the summer of '68 came with a 6" round search coil. From that time to today, the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of coins I have found came my way when I had a smaller-size coil mounted. Those used to be 5" to 7½", and in the more recent fifteen years the coils have mainly been 5" to 6½" wide.

To me, with the improvement in detector performance I consider any search coil from 4" to 6½" in diameter to be a 'smaller-size'
coil, and a round coil of 7" to 9" in diameter, or an elliptical coil such as a 5X8 or 5X9½, usually a DD type, are what I consider to be a 'mid-size' coil. For most typical hunting needs, a 'mid-size' coil can also be considered what I would like to be a 'standard' size coil.

gjdevlin: said:
I'm aware the Nokia Simplex+ comes with a 11-inch coil but folks say the 5x9 SP24 coil that comes as an add on in some deals is the one to use. Why is that the case?
As I just explained, too many times the manufacturers have supplied a detector with an 'over-size' search coil as 'standard' rather than a 'proper' sized coil for general-purpose hunting.

To me, the Garrett Apex and AT MAX should have used the 5X8 DD as standard. The Minelab Equinox should have used something like the 5X8 DD for their Vanquish as a 'standard-size' coil. The Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi could have used the round 7" Concentric or 5X9½ DD as a 'standard' coil, and the same goes for the Simplex +.

Notice how many Simplex + users have added the 5X9½ DD SP24 coil and speak highly of it, and how many of us keep it mounted as a primary-use coil on their Simplex +? That's because it works quite well and, in all seriousness I feel it should have been an early design and used as the 'standard' coil.

Just my personal views of the Simplex + coil as well as how things have been going for too long. Let's get back to 'normal-size' standard search coils. If someone wants a bigger coil, let them buy it down the road.

Monte

Last edited:

Any idea if it's available to buy in electronic format? I looked, but I can only find dead trees.

To answer the question, I've been using the stock coil and it seems to be working well enough for me. One of these days I'll order an SP24 and compare. Unless I can find someone nearby who will let me borrow one. But most of the places I hunt seem to have a lower trash distribution that would work fine for the stock 11" coil, and I want the depth.

Great reply!

Thank you, Monte! The Simplex+ is high on my list to purchase when I've set aside some funds for it. I'll be assured to get the other SP DD24 coil if it is bundled with it. Because I'm legally blind (and deaf), the Simptex+ offers things I need - it vibrates - it has a big display to see the ID. It's waterproof as my balance is horrible and I don't want to trip and fall in the salt/fresh water and ruin a perfectly good 540. I've no plans to submerge into saltwater - sharks, ya know!? :D

thank you again!

Welcome to being retired as well s to this great outdoor sport. I've been retired for over a decade now, and have been very involved in this great sport and industry for over 56 years and I can twll you this:

"I have been trying to grasp the understanding of the manufacturers when it comes to coil choices."

When I built my first three Metal / Mineral Locators staring in early '65, they had me wind a search coil that was about 8" in dimeter. Most of the vast array of detectors produced in that era and into the '70s had a 'standard coil' of 6" to 8" in diameter. In the latter '70s and into the early-to-mid '80s, the notable USA manufacturers generally offered their detectors with a 'standard' search coil from about 6" to 8" or maybe 8½", with popular units from Garrett, and the then-new Teknetics and Tesoro featuring 7", 7¼" and 7½" search coils. They were all round-shaped.

Some competitors were also in the ±7" diameter to the common 8" in diameter. Why did they use this size search coil? Simply because they worked just fine, they provided a comfortable weight and balance, and because they fit well in and around brush, metal structures in playgrounds, handled conditions around building rubble as well as operating near metal fences, etc. Not to mention being able to work well in very high-use locations with a lot of lost pocket change in close relationship.

There were some smaller-size coils on the market in the 4", 4½", 5" and 5½" round-shaped size, and most manufacturers also offered some larger-size coils that ranged from 10" to 11", 12", 14", 15" and even 16" in a round-shaped size. Almost all of the search coils after ±1976 were of a CoPlaner or Concentric type and very few Double-D coils were used, for practical known reasons based on performance compared with Concentrics.

Then by 1988 we noted two changes in search coil sizes and shapes and designs being used. We noted more elliptically-shaped coils being used, especially Double-D types, and especially for Gold Nugget Hunting detectors. Also, in '88, White's was the first major detector maker to start shifting to a '950' Concentric coil (measuring close to 9½" in diameter). It didn't take long before many other manufacturers started using a greater-than-9" coil, or 10", 10½", sort-of-elliptical 7X11 and then a round-shaped 11" coil as 'standard'. That was even on many of their lower-priced to mid-priced models as well as their top-of-the-line series.

What brought about these change? Marketing more than a beneficial in-the-field advantage. Sure, a Beach Hunter might benefit from a slightly larger-size coil for coverage of a wide-open beach. The same goes for those searching a plowed field, or maybe out in the center area of a big grassy park with minimal masking trash. Coverage was the primary benefit, and to some degree a little bit of extra depth over a 'standard' coil, depending upon the target size and shape.

However, the majority of the typical metal detecting 'Hobbyists' are into urban Coin Hunting most of the time and a 'standard' coil can provide all the coverage and performance they need. For hunting in tot-lots with metal playground structures, searching renovation projects, around building rubble, maybe a site with dense brush and weeds, or any locations with a lot of trash, closely-located coins, etc., etc., an 'Avid Detectorist' is going to be better-served if they use a smaller-size search coil, and in modestly-littered locations a good 'mid-size' coil can usually work well.

But the marketing folks at many detector making facilities continue to promote "more depth --- more depth", and to achieve that it might take a larger-size search coil. So many consumers are not finding very many desired targets like they hoped to, or used to, and that's because those early era opportunities had a lot of coins lost, but those of us who got an early start found a lot of them, and bringing us up-to-date others have found a lot of what we missed.

My first factory-produced detector the summer of '68 came with a 6" round search coil. From that time to today, the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of coins I have found came my way when I had a smaller-size coil mounted. Those used to be 5" to 7½", and in the more recent fifteen years the coils have mainly been 5" to 6½" wide.

To me, with the improvement in detector performance I consider any search coil from 4" to 6½" in diameter to be a 'smaller-size'
coil, and a round coil of 7" to 9" in diameter, or an elliptical coil such as a 5X8 or 5X9½, usually a DD type, are what I consider to be a 'mid-size' coil. For most typical hunting needs, a 'mid-size' coil can also be considered what I would like to be a 'standard' size coil.

As I just explained, too many times the manufacturers have supplied a detector with an 'over-size' search coil as 'standard' rather than a 'proper' sized coil for general-purpose hunting.

To me, the Garrett Apex and AT MAX should have used the 5X8 DD as standard. The Minelab Equinox should have used something like the 5X8 DD for their Vanquish as a 'standard-size' coil. The Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi could have used the round 7" Concentric or 5X9½ DD as a 'standard' coil, and the same goes for the Simplex +.

Notice how many Simplex + users have added the 5X9½ DD SP24 coil and speak highly of it, and how many of us keep it mounted as a primary-use coil on their Simplex +? That's because it works quite well and, in all seriousness I feel it should have been an early design and used as the 'standard' coil.

Just my personal views of the Simplex + coil as well as how things have been going for too long. Let's get back to 'normal-size' standard search coils. If someone wants a bigger coil, let them buy it down the road.

Monte

I tried the vibration feature and didn't find it very helpful. The vibration was very weak.

Curious to hear if others found it useful.

I’ve had my simplex + for about three months now, I have used the stock coil during that time, when I made the purchase it came with the SP-24 coil as a promotion at no extra cost, I have yet to use it, but that is going to change, Monte’s perspective / advice makes sense to me. I have done very little in water detecting with my simplex +, for those that have, do you have any tips / info to share on your methods? I would very much like to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance, HH

Back
Top Bottom