• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coin popper and probe

Planedoc

I was at a local tool store a couple of years ago and found this gasket scraper. I modified it by rounding off the blade. The shaft and blade are about 6 inches long. I use the probe (6 inch 3/32 drill bit with the flutes cut off) to locate the coin and use the popper to pop the coin out of the ground. This is far less intrusive than using a shovel.

Attachments

• BB2D9CDF-E18D-4D7C-8975-AAADD0D20865.jpg
    BB2D9CDF-E18D-4D7C-8975-AAADD0D20865.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 512
  • DC3ED2A3-66FA-4250-A6BF-0E3CD2465ED3.jpg
    DC3ED2A3-66FA-4250-A6BF-0E3CD2465ED3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 478
What do you do if a coin is deeper than 6”....I like cutting big plugs whenever possible..drill bit seems hard and a coin scratcher, but it’s got backbone ..looks like a tiny pancake flipper....if I can’t dig appropriately then I hunt elsewhere. Lesche in the parks is as small as I go...otherwise I dig like a gopher..nice job, craftsmanship is well executed...

I was at a local tool store a couple of years ago and found this gasket scraper. I modified it by rounding off the blade. The shaft and blade are about 6 inches long. I use the probe (6 inch 3/32 drill bit with the flutes cut off) to locate the coin and use the popper to pop the coin out of the ground. This is far less intrusive than using a shovel.

I like this as a screwdriver can flip a coin sideways where the flat part gives a better chance of keeping the coin flat. As far as deeper coins, a knife or other backup is a choice. If I find a coin over 3" I'm ecstatic.:cool:

I do clad hunting. The chances of me finding anything dating in the 1800’s is pretty low in this part of Kansas. Most of my finds are from sports fields. I know a few of the grounds keepers. They’ll kick you out if you show up brandishing a shovel or Lesche digger. The popper doesn’t leave much of a hole and I have yet to scratch a coin.

I got back into the hobby a few years back. So far I’m at just over $1200 for clad.

Back
Top Bottom