Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 04-12-2021, 11:44 PM
Supporter

Default 7 coins, 1 hole - Gold Kruzer @ observatory

Be advised, these are nothing special!
But it was an interesting hunt and only the second site I've hit with my Gold Kruzer (excluding my own front yard). The first was so trashy I've decided I'm better off with the Tesoros there.

The county park near me has an astronomical observatory in one of the several large fields, which has been indefinitely closed because of COVID. The roofs are retractable to expose the big telescopes they have inside. Several times a year, the local sky-observer society holds "star parties" there late into the night. Dozens of cars are parked on the grass and folks go skulking around talking, schmoozing and stargazing. I've attended a few myself through the years. Anyway, no need to tell a fellow detectorist what to do there, right??

I've already hit this field with a Teknetics Eurotek a few years ago. With that I found some clad, pot metal, bullets, and an old "grade tag" from a bundle of of agricultural material (I was told). Farms are adjacent to two sides of this field.

So today I brought the Gold Kruzer up there. It was overcast and later rainy. First I found what appeared to be an old sprinkler head. You can all take your guesses on that one. I also found a flip-cover for an electrical socket, about 9 or 10 clad coins, the weird teardrop-shaped thing (earring or pendant??) a crumb of unknown metal, and some junk I didnt bother bringing further than the nearest garbage can.

The top 7 coins were all found in one 6" wide hole, 4 - 6" deep. The oldest is a 1959 Nickel followed by a 1965 Canadian cent. The rest are clad pennies, all from the 80's. I guess that's a good clue that they've probably been there about 30+ years. The dime (found in another hole) was 2007.

Havent found any quarters with the GK yet. Working on it! I'll be hunting this field for awhile it goes wayyyy back. It seems an obvious place to look for jewelry, knowing how those star parties are. People deck themselves out on blankets there and look at the sky at night! Need I say more?
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:57 PM
Supporter

A close-up.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2021, 05:29 AM
Elite Member

Always nice to find coin spills, congrats!

☆Oldest Coin FTY: Undated KG? ☆

Old 04-13-2021, 08:09 AM
Elite Member

Air hose connector used on industrial compressors.
https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-cou...SABEgL3wfD_BwE

Cliff

Old 04-13-2021, 09:14 AM
Supporter

Congrats on the finds and your new machine!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2019 FTY Clad: $1,347.59; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36
Most coin record amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2021 FTY Silvers: 14

Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM
Elite Member

I do like coin spills, one coin is exciting but two, maybe three? Then you start to wonder HOW they dropped it. Very cool!

Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View post
Air hose connector used on industrial compressors.
https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-cou...SABEgL3wfD_BwE

Cliff
Nice call!
Dead on!
Thank you!

Old 04-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Metal detecto View post
I do like coin spills, one coin is exciting but two, maybe three? Then you start to wonder HOW they dropped it. Very cool!
Well, as I was saying people sit there on the grass next to their cars late into the night with telescopes set up. Actually one of the items I originally found with my teknetics eurotek was an interchangeable lens from a camera or telescope.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

I had something like that in the grass at my workplace a couple months ago... pulled out a quarter, remembered to sweep it again, and the pinpointer just kept going off; 8 quarters, 3 dimes, a couple pennies. Don't know how someone lost it or how I missed it until then. Didn't have the age of your find though - well done!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Elite Member

Cool coin spill - those are fun to dig up. I'll bet that site has more keepers waiting for you - HH!

Old 04-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Supporter

Thank you, to everyone who has posted here!
I'm sure that field will keep me occupied for a long time. The photo only shows barely 1/3 of the size. There is a cornfield which abuts it but which also "blurs" into the park with no obvious boundary. A trail leads from another area of the park right into the cornfield....so I think you know what I'm getting at.

I'll be very modest about encroachment. Youd think the farmer would post something near a trailhead leading straight into his field. The farm itself is probably well over 1000ft away and not in direct sight. Some biiiiiig fields around there. The park itself is huge for a rural county park and has many different sections to it, even 3 or 4 small lakes. You could stay busy for YEARS with a metal detector. Along another access road I recently dug up a dog license from 1979 at about 4".

Last edited by Metal Pig; 04-13-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

7 coins in one hole. Nice!

Now if I can just find a dutch oven full of gold coins!

Old 04-16-2021, 12:42 AM

Spills are always fun ,Congrats !

Ace 400 / Equinox 800 / Garrett Pro Pointer AT / Predator Little Eagle

Old 04-16-2021, 09:26 AM
Elite Member

Nice coin spill !! I love finding them and always reminds me to check my holes before I cover them up. It is nice to find a place where coins are replenished regularly by star gazers, etc.

www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Old 04-16-2021, 10:58 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
Nice coin spill !! I love finding them and always reminds me to check my holes before I cover them up. It is nice to find a place where coins are replenished regularly by star gazers, etc.
I also found them using my Gold Kruzer which isnt marketed as a coin hunter either. But the audio was mysterious enough that I knew I should dig. As I pulled out the coins one by one, I continued scan the hole with the GK. As I continued to pull out coins, the tone became purer and purer. This find was a good test of this machine and helped me know it considerably better. I have only used the little 7.5 x 4 football coil so far. I wonder how this find would have sounded with the large coil.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the coinspill Mp. always nice when a plug keeps giving. Looks like a nice spot you have there. Good luck, Mark

Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM
Supporter

The place is vast and lonely....in a good way!
Once in awhile you see someone walking their dog. In one of the darker photos you can see the cornfield on the right where it blends with the park. The night I took these photos I had the Bandido and all I found was a penny and two pieces of old melted metal.
Attached Images