Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 04-04-2021, 01:00 AM

Default Coin popper and probe

I was at a local tool store a couple of years ago and found this gasket scraper. I modified it by rounding off the blade. The shaft and blade are about 6 inches long. I use the probe (6 inch 3/32 drill bit with the flutes cut off) to locate the coin and use the popper to pop the coin out of the ground. This is far less intrusive than using a shovel.
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

What do you do if a coin is deeper than 6Ē....I like cutting big plugs whenever possible..drill bit seems hard and a coin scratcher, but itís got backbone ..looks like a tiny pancake flipper....if I canít dig appropriately then I hunt elsewhere. Lesche in the parks is as small as I go...otherwise I dig like a gopher..nice job, craftsmanship is well executed...

Old 04-10-2021, 05:29 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Planedoc View post
I was at a local tool store a couple of years ago and found this gasket scraper. I modified it by rounding off the blade. The shaft and blade are about 6 inches long. I use the probe (6 inch 3/32 drill bit with the flutes cut off) to locate the coin and use the popper to pop the coin out of the ground. This is far less intrusive than using a shovel.
I like this as a screwdriver can flip a coin sideways where the flat part gives a better chance of keeping the coin flat. As far as deeper coins, a knife or other backup is a choice. If I find a coin over 3" I'm ecstatic.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:46 AM

I do clad hunting. The chances of me finding anything dating in the 1800ís is pretty low in this part of Kansas. Most of my finds are from sports fields. I know a few of the grounds keepers. Theyíll kick you out if you show up brandishing a shovel or Lesche digger. The popper doesnít leave much of a hole and I have yet to scratch a coin.

I got back into the hobby a few years back. So far Iím at just over $1200 for clad.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:22 AM
Supporter

If that works for you then great. I firmly believe this is superior and causes no more damage and many times less to the turf.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...5gd1fvxh6NaMiD