Equinox has one serious advantage....

IDXMonster

Elite Member
I never thought I’d say anything pleasant about my 800 but the truth of the matter is that it has something FBS does not. Really, it does. The fact that it’s only running 5 freqs can have a big edge when it comes to places with heavy EMI. I’ve noticed this in a few places which make my CTX want to run at 14-15 Sensitivity which takes it out of the running for those really deep coins. For some reason, my Explorer2 doesn’t seem AS affected by this strong and seemingly wide ranged EMI but the 800 handles it MUCH better, as does my single freq IDX. To add, after 80-ish hours in, the 800 found its first silver coin today, a 46 dime. This was in one of those places, a curbstrip which surrounds a fairground. Terrible conditions to begin with, add EMI and it downright SUCKS. But the thing is, it sucks for everyone...the one who learns to hunt it gets the coins. You definitely have to dig the sound, because the meter in these conditions doesn’t even matter. I was pleased with how it handled this area, which shows that different tools can certainly do things more effectively than others.

Agreed. The noise cancellation has many settings, and you can always turn down the sensitivity and adjust the recovery rate. There are some places Ive been where the EMI is outta control.

Agreed. The noise cancellation has many settings, and you can always turn down the sensitivity and adjust the recovery rate. There are some places Ive been where the EMI is outta control.
I found one of those places yesterday. I tried in my daughter's yard and the 800 went nuts. I finally got it to quiet down a bit by reducing sens and adjusting the recovery rate but it was still very unstable. I gave up and went back in the house.

Cliff

Happy for you Kevin on finally finding success with the "Nox". You sure put in the time. I find that the light weight of the "Nox" gives me some relief when the shoulder is giving me heck but still allows for some opportunity to dig some success. It just isn't going to replace the CTX. "Oh yea" it did give me my first and only "V". Trapper

Congrats Kevin, glad to see the 800 is starting to show results. My 800 seems to handle or at least make bearable high EMI areas other machines couldn't handle. How deep was the Rosie ? Good luck Mark

I found one of those places yesterday. I tried in my daughter's yard and the 800 went nuts. I finally got it to quiet down a bit by reducing sens and adjusting the recovery rate but it was still very unstable. I gave up and went back in the house.

Cliff

I hear you a Cliff. There ARE places that are UNHUNTABLE!

Happy for you Kevin on finally finding success with the "Nox". You sure put in the time. I find that the light weight of the "Nox" gives me some relief when the shoulder is giving me heck but still allows for some opportunity to dig some success. It just isn't going to replace the CTX. "Oh yea" it did give me my first and only "V". Trapper

Thanks Trapper, better to swing something than not swing at all when the bursitis flares up! And how could I forget the V nickel? When it’s finding stuff it seems to do well, I just haven’t taken it many places where coins even ARE. Maybe I should try that....;)

Congrats Kevin, glad to see the 800 is starting to show results. My 800 seems to handle or at least make bearable high EMI areas other machines couldn't handle. How deep was the Rosie ? Good luck Mark

Thanks Mark, I knew it would hit sooner or later. The dime was 5-6”, very obvious 26-27. The CTX was just wild in this spot, I’m lucky it shut up when I turned it OFF!:lol:

I can think of a lot of great things to say about the the Equinox! Congrats on your first silver with it.

Back
Top Bottom