Help with bullet ID please!

Waveoff

Elite Member
I found this bullet today out in the middle of a field at my honey hole. Can anyone ID this for me? Thanks!

LYz3JQ7.jpg

iPll0Kk.png

NO bullet expert, guessing a 58 cal cw era bullet aka minie' ball

I was thinking minie ball also because of the rings and concave bottom but wasn't sure because most of the stuff I find in this particular spot is late 1800's to early 1900's. However, there has been activity in that area since before the French and Indian War.

Not a Minie ball, no hollow base. What is there is almost impossible to ID for certain. Especially without measurements of how big it is (or rather how big it was before it was flattened.

Not a Minie ball, no hollow base. What is there is almost impossible to ID for certain. Especially without measurements of how big it is (or rather how big it was before it was flattened.

Hmmm. Maybe it's a more modern muzzleloader bullet or something?

I have a civil war bullet in hand that I found years ago. It measures .527" dia and has a flat base (not all civil war bullets had cavities in their bases). My bullet is a 52 cal Sharps and has two raised rings rather than grooves. Holding it beside a nickel, its relative size to the nickel is very much the same as your bullet. I'm not saying your bullet is definitely civil war, but I can't say that it isn't.
I'd think Pittsburg area would have had numerous training camps during the war. And civil war stuff does turn up in the unlikeliest places.

Could be a carbine bullet, impossible to measure what you've got. You might narrow it a bit by getting a weight, but it is most likely not all there. Possibly a Sharps, Spencer, Merrill, Colt rifle,
or some other rarer cartridges. Looks like it hit a solid flat object at high speed and close range.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! I'll just have to hit that field some more and see what else turns up.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! I'll just have to hit that field some more and see what else turns up.

If there was one fired one, the trick is to go to where it was fired from and look for "drops" that are unfired. Then you have about a 100% chance of ID.
good luck

At a certain point, sometimes how large the mass of lead is, will give an indication. Mushroomed projectiles can be hard to identify.

As others have said, hard to tell, but I could see the argument for that being a Sharps...

sharps.jpg

Steve

If there was one fired one, the trick is to go to where it was fired from and look for "drops" that are unfired. Then you have about a 100% chance of ID.
good luck

At a certain point, sometimes how large the mass of lead is, will give an indication. Mushroomed projectiles can be hard to identify.

As others have said, hard to tell, but I could see the argument for that being a Sharps...

sharps.jpg

Steve

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I've been hitting that field when I can looking for some drops and other goodies.

Back
Top Bottom