New permission gives me my first Barber Dimes and some other goodies...

Waveoff

Elite Member
I hit one of my new permissions this morning for about 5 hours. It's a house built in 1947 on about 1.5 acres and the land it's on has been in use for a long time. I was hoping I'd find some silver from the mid-40's on. However, I was rewarded with some older stuff. It seems I stumbled upon an old target practice area. There were old bullets, more modern bullets and shell casings everywhere. Then, in about a 20 square foot area I finally hit a few coins. I got two nice 1913 Barber Dimes, a Buffalo Nickel that I'm trying to pull a date off of and two Injuns (a toasted 1893 and a pretty nice looking 1908...not an "S"). I also got some sort of charm that was really encrusted but after some vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush it started to shine up. I'm not sure if it's gold or not. It still needs more cleaning. I know lower purity gold can look grimy after being in the ground a long time. Even if it's not gold it's still kind of interesting.

Awesome, a wax seal....

Congrats on the lot!

<°)))>{

The item at the end (the "charm") with the script on the front is the end of a hat pin. I found almost the same exact item earlier this year and someone on here identified it for me! Here is the link to that thread...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=246074&highlight=acuva24

Thanks guys! It does look more like it could be a hat pin like Acuva24 said. The reason why I thought it was a charm was because the top of it has a broken loop on it like a pendant would have. I wonder if the one I have is solid gold or just plated? It's soaking right now and I'll have to inspect it further once it's all cleaned up.

Great finds and great photos! HH!

Awesome finds congrats!

Thank you!:)

I figured out what the "charm" thing is...

After cleaning up this piece a bit more, and doing some more googling, I discovered that it's a gold filled pocket watch fob.

Xr6zdxJ.jpg

qBfjaeI.jpg

JYj2O58.jpg

Are you sure? It looks like a wax seal to me

The engraving isn't deep enough to make an imprint in wax plus the letters would be backwards if it were used to make an imprint in wax. If you go on google image search and type in "pocket watch fob" you'll see a bunch of images of similar items. Here's a pic of another watch fob...

Attachments

• IMG_9138.JPG
    IMG_9138.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 158
Some more recent finds from the new spot...

Here's some more finds from my last couple of hunts at my new spot. 1880 IHP, 1899 Barber Dime and a Victorian gold filled bar pin.

jQv02hY.jpg

YLAfDyF.jpg

hTlZGfu.jpg

FVc0i0Z.jpg

Looks like you've found a pretty nice location! Nice job researching/IDing the watch fob, too.

Back
Top Bottom