Ok, I need to be Educated:

DbblTap

Elite Member
I have been MD for years for work until I got a MD to hit local spots very hard. I am not finding Gold but am finding foil and pull tabs ect. Dig way too much to not have found Gold.

What can I change to maybe find Gold by the end of the year ? I am hitting popular spots and no matter what time I am there, only once in a while so I see a MDer.
Find coins all the time.

Thanks and Happy Hunting.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

What detector are you using?
I am using a Whites Treasuremaster. I know not a high end MD but I have found junk jewelry and some questionable stuff but no Gold.

Considering the things you are finding, you should be getting gold if the gold is there. Keep at it, you do just have to get your coil over it.

What detector are you using?

And exactly what kind of sites are you hunting?
Gold can be anywhere but it is definitely not everywhere.
I have found 35 pieces in a little over 6 years, sometimes in the oddest places.
I haven't found any in awhile but i haven't been hunting a lot of different sites either...just a few over and over.
The more sites you hunt the higher your chances go.
I found one of the best ways to find gold is to try to find and hunt some higher percentage areas where it can be found.
I hunt mostly parks but if there is a volleyball court in any of them I concentrate on the perimeter hard.
Doubly so if I come across any basketball courts.
I have found over a dozen rings around these things because that is where players make piles of their coats, shirts and other things and put their jewelry in those piles too...then then sometimes they forgot they did and leave it there or drop it on paths to their car.

I also don't dig every piece of trash to find that stuff either, maybe about 20% of the tabs, can slaw, foil and other junk I come across that are solid signals that don't jump much.
This is because all the gold I found acted solid...so far, really jumpy stuff is usually trash for me so I just avoid digging most of it and go after the higher percentage solid ones.
This hobby is just a big numbers game to me.
I could miss gold this way, some may be way jumpier than I have ever experienced to this point due to all kinds of reasons but I have found that stuff surrounded by heavy trash, heavy iron, in great soil and mineralized dirt so i don't worry about it much because my track record is good.
Some will tell you avoid digging in trash filled sites but that bull...the trashiest sites are where the most people hung out and that is where I have found most of my gold targets...without digging every blasted signal I came across either.

Also what are you digging?
Many assume most gold comes in at only nickels or tabs but that is not true.
I have found a lot in foil and 5 large class rings in lower zinc, also.

Gold is a numbers game but learn your detector well, learn how gold behaves in all sections compared to trash targets on your tool if you can plus pick some good sites to look for it.
Also gather up all the luck you can, it helps.

dbbl-tap, the "trick to finding gold" is not to lower your disc. and dig aluminum till your arms fall off. The trick is as Detector says: Location location location.

It is already a GIVEN that alloyed gold jewelry, on a size-per-size basis, shares the same conductive ranges as aluminum. So why oh why oh why do you go to junky blighted picnic parks, digging aluminum till your arms fall off ? The ratios are simply going to be 99.999% aluminum per any gold item. Because anytime you have picnicking/BBQ'ing, is the minute you can factor in foil wads (for the food wrappings), tabs and aluminum shrapnel (for the soda cans), and molten aluminum pellets (for those that throw aluminum cans on the BBQ flames).

Instead , if gold jewelry is your agenda, you should be hunting swimming beaches. Where sand is easier to dig in, and where people lather up with slippery suntan lotion. And where folks take off jewelry "for safe-keeping" before going in for a swim.

It need not be ocean beaches. Even inland lake beaches are better than junky turf. And if you utterly have no swim beaches, there are other type environs better than picnic turf: Sand volleyball courts. Mud wrestle pits. Ski-lift lines (after spring/summer melt). And if you utterly must do turf, then do athletic turf where eating/drinking is not so-much involved. Eg. Upscale soccer fields. Where frolicking motions are involved, yet not expected to be picnicking/eating/drinking.

I usually save old-town athletic turf and picnic/camp spots for old coin hunting.

If you want some group participation...let us know what town you live in...We can then zoom in via satellite image and tell you where we would be hunting for gold....Its tough to recommend specific high percentage gold sites not knowing where you live...But we can certainly see them from the satellite as to where we would be hunting!

You can tell a lot about a town via the satellite..the old neighborhoods, the parks, schools, etc....its very helpful for those of us that travel and want to hunt...it really pays off...

I have been MD for years for work until I got a MD to hit local spots very hard. I am not finding Gold but am finding foil and pull tabs ect. Dig way too much to not have found Gold.

What can I change to maybe find Gold by the end of the year ? I am hitting popular spots and no matter what time I am there, only once in a while so I see a MDer.
Find coins all the time.

Gold is freaking ELUSIVE. Those of us who find it regularly are often putting in quite a bit of time. I typically hit gold about every 60 hours of detecting on land. 9 golds for the year... yeah... 500+ hours.

On top of that, there's a fair amount of LUCK that you're hitting a spot where gold is dropped. I have a couple parks that I hit a bunch of spots every week, or every other week all year long. I pull 1 gold from each, yearly (and that's the exact rate, so far, at 2.5 years). Those are HOT spots in my opinion, but I have to hunt them for the "about 60 hours total" before they pay off. I hit them regularly, because there's other detectorists...

Much of my gold has come from going to out of the way places (like neighborhood parks that are small, but big enough to have small soccer practices, games, etc.), and quite a few come from hitting the sports fields lines after a cold snap (people's hands shrink and they fall off in the fall).

Summer can be tough, for new drops, unless you're hitting places where people are sunscreening, or taking them off.

And remember too, to dig those bouncy signals. Not everything is a solid banging hard stable signal. The reason is simple... 10K is only 41.6% gold.. That means there a lot of other stuff in there (usually copper) that causes weird signals. The largest 14K gold ring I found was about 16 grams, and that sucker bounced all over from 40 to 78. Nothing was the same, every time I swept it, I got a different number.. what DID stay was that it was a good signal. Nothing weak about it. I'm sure a dozen other detectorists looked at it, and passed on it as trash...

But that being said, you may discover that pop-tabs ring up a 53 all the time.. You CAn skip them, at the risk of passing up a 53 gold ring... but you might cover more ground. (btw, I've found gold 5 rings that I swore were pop-tabs...).

Its out there...

You might also have some really stiff competition who is cleaning the parks, too. Like me. LOL

Cheers,

Skippy

If you want some group participation...let us know what town you live in...We can then zoom in via satellite image and tell you where we would be hunting for gold....Its tough to recommend specific high percentage gold sites not knowing where you live...But we can certainly see them from the satellite as to where we would be hunting!

You can tell a lot about a town via the satellite..the old neighborhoods, the parks, schools, etc....its very helpful for those of us that travel and want to hunt...it really pays off...

Absolutely FANTASTIC idea, Mudpuppy. I'm game for this, too.

Happy to help doing this, too!

Cheers,

Skippy

Find coins all the time.

And try this, if you're doing turf!!!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245454

Maybe you should try disc out anything above a penny. To many people get used to hearing those high tones...... you need to be listing to foil, pull tabs, nickels. I dig most everything but a pull tab and IRON. In most cases foil is easily kicked with your foot ...... then move on. Dont get sucked in by coins and dont NOT dig targets just because you think you know what it is. I dig a lot of pull tabs ect that im certain are pull tabs....... occasionally i get surprised.

I have but in over 400 hours actively detecting this year. I found one gold ring in Feb. Two in July and One in august. I hunt the dirt in the winter and the beach in the summer. Gold can be very elusive.

The more targets you go for, then the chances of you finding gold will be higher. All my gold finds are as a result of luck, and being in the right places at the right time. An 18k diamond ring I found last year was only 3 inches down in the soft sand. ANY detector could've picked it up. Good luck! :D

If this was easy every fool would be doing it, not just a few of us. :D

You have to find your own pattern. More people lose stuff on dry land where they set it down. Next to the volleyball court, next to the basketball court, etc.
People drop things when they sit down or climb out of their cars.

90% of the people use 10% of the beach. Think outside the norm. Good luck! :grin:

If this was easy every fool would be doing it, not just a few of us. :D
Well no, I know I am doing something wrong and can't figure out what but that does not stop me !

Well no, I know I am doing something wrong and can't figure out what but that does not stop me !

IF you are finding foil and pull tabs you are NOT doing anything wrong. Are you on a beach, on land, fresh water or salt water if a beach. Help us help you!

WHERE are you searching?

Dirt gold is like the holy grail....

Water gold a bit better depending on many factors.

Hunt soccer field sidelines, local lake swim beaches and apparently (not my luck) tot-lots and basketball perimeters and the gold will eventually come. 15 golds in 4 years for me.... long time tho since I've seen gold! Soccer sidelines and fresh water lakes.... gluck, and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom