Found Christmas V Nickel!

spenglure

Elite Member
Found a V nickel coin roll hunting on a Christmas! 1901.

Attachments

• 152F3723-0944-478E-9F2F-F7C4ABA13524.jpg
    152F3723-0944-478E-9F2F-F7C4ABA13524.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Great find! It's not every day you come across a coin that's over 100 years old. :grin:

Congrats on your first CRH V nickel! I've found close to 10 buffs, but still looking for the elusive V. :yes:

Last edited:
Seems odd that a "V" would find its way into a roll of shiny new nickels. Maybe someone needed one more nickel to make a full roll and didn't want to wait until he got another one. You just never know...….

Seems odd that a "V" would find its way into a roll of shiny new nickels. Maybe someone needed one more nickel to make a full roll and didn't want to wait until he got another one. You just never know...….

Trust me I was thinking the same. This was a pretty boring nickel box to be honest. Loads of 2010 and earlier coins. Then out pops a V. Still wondering how it got mixed in with modern coinage.

Oddly for me, Ive found more V nickels in circulation than buffalo nickels. 6 v nickels to 5 buffalos.

Trust me I was thinking the same. This was a pretty boring nickel box to be honest. Loads of 2010 and earlier coins. Then out pops a V. Still wondering how it got mixed in with modern coinage.
One year I dumped (through the coin counter) about 1,000 1946-1958 Jefferson nickels, several dozen cull Indian cents, dozens of no-date buffalos and several V-nickels. Sometimes I dump dozens of old foreign coins too, been doing it for years! That’s how some end up in circulation. I’m sure my actions have spurred new collectors.

Back
Top Bottom