What the Joop! ?!

Walrus350

Elite Member
Whenever I hunt with people around, I recover the target, give it a quick glance and chuck it in the pouch.

This can be an emotional roller coaster while night hunting.

I dug a honker that rung up as a 12. Let my headlight hit it and it looked good. Nice, heavy and had a nugget pattern. I was giddy. Looked like white gold in the 10+ gram range. I toss it in the pouch after 2 seconds of studying it.

I spent the next hour, hunting in the dark, euphoric as I replayed images of the ring in my head.

Then after awhile, curiosity got the best of me and I was alone. So I pull it out, shine my light on it, and I see markings.....wooot!

*STEEL*

Nooooooooo!.........

Steel ring with an inscription and the maker is a company called "Joop!".
The "nugget" pattern was actually an "animal" pattern.

2 silver rings kind if eased my disappointment......but dang...I got Jooped!

Attachments

• IRS20180819_103044.jpg
    IRS20180819_103044.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 616
Hey steel or no steel, I like it. In fact I like all rings...sure gold is great but when your finding rings of any quality, then you are the right track to finding gold. Nice work.

I am the same way, even with no one around it’s scoop to pouch right away. I usually don’t even think about it.
Last year I was striking out big time, then hit a decent sound. 1 st scoop got the target, saw a white ring. As it was being plucked from the scoop I saw what I thought was the name benchmade.
I know that’s a brand of knives, so I assumed it was going to be stainless steel. Only thing i got from that beach was junk, some clad and that ring. I was rather defeated.

After I got back I cleaned out my finds bag and got to take another look at it. I was shocked to see 14k, and the name in it was benchmark. ( http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=251045 )

So it goes both ways man. Hopefully the next time it’s the upswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey steel or no steel, I like it. In fact I like all rings...sure gold is great but when your finding rings of any quality, then you are the right track to finding gold. Nice work.
I agree. Finding silver rings/heavy rings is usually a good sign- congrats! :yes:

Nice ring, though I would have called the pattern "Reptile".

"I got jooped!". :laughing: You'd better patent that!

R5

I have been pulling steel rings with real diamonds set in them this summer. 2 so far.
I don't even keep them anymore I hand them off to nice people who come up and talk to me.

.......:grin:

Aw man! I had a jooped moment recently too! *junk, sterling, JUNK, and junk :(

Attachments

• bling.jpg
    bling.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 509
You didn't get just jooped - you got pooped! :lol:

I know the feeling. Same story earlier this year, but your Joop beats the crocsnot outta my plated junk I got all giddy about. Plus, those sterlings are nice consolations.

'Joop' as a modern term may just catch on! Term for a big letdown?! Sort of like a 'Felix Penny', except unlike the Felix, the Joop looks good at first glance...sort of similar to the phrase of getting 'Gypped?' Without the Politically inCorrect connotations or negative Heritage aspersions?

Gypped and Jooped are different! ..Like on a pension or Social Security or a 401k?...You got Gypped! You put in money or time or invested! Jooped is different!

Like you find a fake $5 bill in the parking lot that was made off a copier? You got Jooped! Or finding a SS ring that sounds just like Gold?...Jooped, not gypped!

Its better to be Jooped than gypped! No money out of pocket in being Jooped....

Last edited:
Still a cool find. Question is who is going to update the MDing terms defintition thread with Jooped.

'Joop' as a modern term may just catch on! Term for a big letdown?! Sort of like a 'Felix Penny', except unlike the Felix, the Joop looks good at first glance...sort of similar to the phrase of getting 'Gypped?' Without the Politically inCorrect connotations or negative Heritage aspersions?

Gypped and Jooped are different! ..Like on a pension or Social Security or a 401k?...You got Gypped! You put in money or time or invested! Jooped is different!

Like you find a fake $5 bill in the parking lot that was made off a copier? You got Jooped! Or finding a SS ring that sounds just like Gold?...Jooped, not gypped!

Man you have the right of it. Philosophy by Mudd :laughing:

Ray

I am the same way, even with no one around it’s scoop to pouch right away. I usually don’t even think about it.
Last year I was striking out big time, then hit a decent sound. 1 st scoop got the target, saw a white ring. As it was being plucked from the scoop I saw what I thought was the name benchmade.
I know that’s a brand of knives, so I assumed it was going to be stainless steel. Only thing i got from that beach was junk, some clad and that ring. I was rather defeated.

After I got back I cleaned out my finds bag and got to take another look at it. I was shocked to see 14k, and the name in it was benchmark. ( http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=251045 )

So it goes both ways man. Hopefully the next time it’s the upswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice surpise at the end. Thanks!

I agree. Finding silver rings/heavy rings is usually a good sign- congrats! :yes:
Yeah, way better than crusy pennies and can slaw/blobs!
Nice ring, though I would have called the pattern "Reptile".
"I got jooped!". :laughing: You'd better patent that!

R5

Right?! They're listed that way on FeeBay.
No patent necessary, "Jooped" is free to use. Just don't Joop me on the credit.

I have been pulling steel rings with real diamonds set in them this summer. 2 so far.
I don't even keep them anymore I hand them off to nice people who come up and talk to me.

.......:grin:
What do people say/do when you give it to them?

Thanks. I just wish I didn't walk around for an hour thinking I had gold in my pouch. I Jooped myself.

:iwish:

Aw man! I had a jooped moment recently too! *junk, sterling, JUNK, and junk :(

It's a numbers game. Find more rings and there's bound to be a gold one in the mix.

Hey, that's still a nice ring, even if it's not gold. :yes:

It made a good 1st impression.:laughing:

You didn't get just jooped - you got pooped! :lol:
That's what I get!
I would welcome some Joop about now. Congrats.
Thanks! Joop is where you find it. :laughing:
I know the feeling. Same story earlier this year, but your Joop beats the crocsnot outta my plated junk I got all giddy about. Plus, those sterlings are nice consolations.
Thanks!

Dang it, but at least you got some silver
:beers:

Yes!

THATS $130 BUCKS +/- NEW ON eBAY..... NOT A BAD FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"JOOP ---THERE IT IS !!!!"
I don't know how to feel about this. :confused:

Still a cool find. Question is who is going to update the MDing terms defintition thread with Jooped.
Thanks. If we all start using it, it'll be common like "Googling" or "Ubered". Only difference is billions of dollars aren't invloved......yet. :cool::gettinmoney:

"Got Jooped"...... I like it..... ;)

Thanks. It just came to me.:laughing:

Happened to me so many times. Usually ends with a couple swear words. Then a thought of how far I could throw it. Then eventually succumb and put it back in the pouch... for a couple more swear words later when I take it out for the thrash bin

Back
Top Bottom