Tried For A Quality Electrolysis Tank

OP3CRIMSIN

I think I went almost all out on my first electric swimming pool. Saw a similar idea on youtube and gave it some upgrades. What do you all think?

picture.php

I understand a lot of electrolysis enthusiasts prefer washing soda over baking soda and once I looked up the msds on washing soda, I found out we sell it at work at 98% purity so I bought four pounds of it.

The wire is for hanging larger objects in between the washers on the center stud in the next pic.

And the charger is a good old fashioned manual selectable non-smart charger.

picture.php

The main negative post is the longest bolt on the left which through the metal perforated strapping, transmits the electricity to all three of the studs and all three of the removable alligator clips of different sizes.

picture.php

This is a close-up of the center stud which boasts an extra set of large washers in-between two nuts. If I want to utilize the hanging wire, I can wrap it around the object and then place the two ends between the washers and tighten the nut up.

picture.php

My largest alligator clip, fed through a hanging strap d-ring to keep taught and to raise and lower the object to the desired height. All three clips connect via female spade terminals to a double-male terminal post on the top of each stud.

picture.php

This is the main positive hookup, a bolt protruding farther out than the others, connecting to the other three via 8Gau red jacketed wire and waterproofed gaskets to the large faced steel plates on the inside.

picture.php

One of the four 3" x 9" x 3/16" steel plates. Non-stainless and shouldn't be galvanized. I cleaned up the holed area around the terminals with sand paper either way for best connection.

picture.php

Notched and routed the wood brace for balance and spacing. Also makes a great handle.

Question: any reason I couldn't/shouldn't fabricate a vent hood and air removal fan system so I can run this thing in my garage and vent the gases outside? I mean, it shouldn't even have to be anything huge either, just a plastic enclosure and a vent fan zip tied together to a tube and run that tube out a window or something right?

_

Last edited:
Looks absolutely awesome, I never tried electrolysis but watch to see if the first negative lead outperforms the last. Galvanized steel is a poor conductor

Looks absolutely awesome, I never tried electrolysis but watch to see if the first negative lead outperforms the last. Galvanized steel is a poor conductor

I did read that, but I've got three axe and hatchet heads in there right now cooking and they're all just a bubblin'. And for giggles, I checked all along the perforated steel with my multimeter and there was no loss of volts or amps from one end to the other. Not sure if that's even detectable but like I said, for giggles.

I did read that, but I've got three axe and hatchet heads in there right now cooking and they're all just a bubblin'. And for giggles, I checked all along the perforated steel with my multimeter and there was no loss of volts or amps from one end to the other. Not sure if that's even detectable but like I said, for giggles.

Awesome, can't wait for the results. The amperage might be low enough where the conductor material might not make that much of a difference. IDK. Like I say I've never built a electrolysis system yet, and certainly didn't want to come of as any type of naysayers, just trying to help if I can. If you aren't satisfied with rhe results, it might be a place to start, though. Hopefully everything works the way it's supposed to the first time, right:grin:

Wow. It puts my used Tupperware and cell phone charger set up to SHAME. Nice job! Post some before/after pics when you test it out.

I will be curious to see your results. The only possible issue I see is that electrolysis works by line of sight. If you have a small coin sized object hanging in the middle of the pieces of metal you have in there it might not get cleaned correctly.

I have seen a person who tried to use the grate from a grill in an electrolysis tank to clean a cast iron skillet. The bottom of the skillet had the marks of the grate cleaned and rust around the rest. I know if you have a couple of pieces of rebar close to a coin it will clean it but if you tried to clean a large item with a piece of rebar it would just clean a stripe in it. The large tank I use has steel wrapped all the way around the inside of the tank so it cleans all surfaces.

I will be curious to see your results. The only possible issue I see is that electrolysis works by line of sight. If you have a small coin sized object hanging in the middle of the pieces of metal you have in there it might not get cleaned correctly.

I have seen a person who tried to use the grate from a grill in an electrolysis tank to clean a cast iron skillet. The bottom of the skillet had the marks of the grate cleaned and rust around the rest. I know if you have a couple of pieces of rebar close to a coin it will clean it but if you tried to clean a large item with a piece of rebar it would just clean a stripe in it. The large tank I use has steel wrapped all the way around the inside of the tank so it cleans all surfaces.

Noted, and on its way to being fixed :) I just purchased the supplies to add three larger faced plates inbetween the other two with another on one side. I've also taken another guy's advice and bough a copper strip to replace the galvanized one. Thank you all for the great tips!

I think I saw the same video and I was planning on making one too. You did an excellent job on the setup, very nice!

:beers:

Back
Top Bottom