Horseshoe, not sure how old or from what type of horse...

vjessica

Hey all! Can anyone help me figure out how old this horseshoe is? And maybe what kind of horse used it?

Thank you everyone :)
IMG_0394.jpg
b8dd4452bc419ed41bd1b318f97b4c92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing special handmade saddle horse shoe w/hammer drawn toe clip. Appears to be from a left foot.
Fullered and punched rather fine by today's standard, but it was "in style" 50-70yrs ago.

Dating an antique horseshoe to a particular time period is challenging. Unlike the mass-produced horseshoes that dominated in the 20th century, blacksmiths forged many antique horseshoes individually and these shoes carry no branding or serial number. What distinguishes an antique horseshoe from a modern horseshoe is the material. In the 19th century, blacksmiths forged horseshoes from iron, while 20th-century manufacturers fabricated modern horseshoes using steel.
It is difficult to tell the difference between a wrought-iron horseshoe and a steel horseshoe by just looking at it. The most-accurate test is the spark test, which is a little destructive. Take an angle grinder to the horseshoe and note the color of the sparks. Modern steel has a high carbon content, and grinding it produces brilliant white sparks. Grinding 19th-century wrought iron produces dull, red sparks. You can also examine the corrosion, though this is a less-accurate test. As 19th-century wrought iron rusts away, the iron silicate becomes exposed. It has a grainy appearance like wood. If a corroded horseshoe looks like rotting wood, then it is likely a wrought-iron horseshoe from the 19th century.

Nothing special handmade saddle horse shoe w/hammer drawn toe clip. Appears to be from a left foot.
Fullered and punched rather fine by today's standard, but it was "in style" 50-70yrs ago.

How do you tell what foot it's from ?

I'm going to agree with Longhair on his guess and also add that it was more than likely a 2 tone brownish red and white horse. :laughing::laughing:
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Cool find. At least now you know what era people were around there.

Back
Top Bottom