Sand scoop recommendation

Coon8448

What scoops do y’all recommend? Most of my detecting will be 75 dry sand 25 knee deep. I would like to keep the scoop under $150.

I like the Xtreme scoops but I can’t justify $250 for a scoop that I will use a couple times a year. The CKG scoops look good and price is right. Anybody use one?

If the majority of your hunting will be in dry sand you need a scoop that will allow the sand to fall out with the least amount of shaking.

Last edited:
If you are not using a scoop extensively any of the cheaper scoops will fill your need. I started with a 5 inch scoop and it worked well on the dry but not so well on the wet sand and I really had trouble finding the target when I hit the water.

Pay attention to the thickness of the material the scoop is made from The thicker the material the sturdier it will be. The thicker materials will also be a bit heavier.

T-Rex. I like mine alot. Sand flys thru it and digs well. Built like a tank.
The next one I like that I use often for sand only but is ok and small for water is called Something like Scropoll. I got both from Kellyco.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Rtg

6 x 11 aluminum with , ss lip, grab handle, the scoop has 5 /8 holes good drainage for dry sand , works good in knee deep, that will fit your price range , the ss lip, and grab handle are about a 10 bucks- a piece extra , happy hunting.

I recommend the Xtreme Scoops even if they are a little more than the Stealth Scoops.
Next to your detector they are the most important tool in the sand box. Wet or dry.

If you are hunting 75% dry sand , I would recommend a wire mesh basket type. Attach a small magnet inside to catch the undesirables. I used these for years. Get a long handled one piece. Borderline engineering makes a stainless steel with a foot plate for around $125. Galvanized around $75. I think a 5" diameter , maybe 6". A little small for me. Stainless will be heavier on long hunts. But these will last since you don't hunt often and you want a cheaper price scoop. The wire mesh scoops allow dry sand to fly out better than any other scoops out there. Once you start hunting more often , and in the water/wet sand , it's a totally different animal. Then you will have to make a serious upgrade. GL !

Thanks guys for your ideas. I looked at the Borderline engineering scoops. I liked how heavy they were but they were heavy. I found a coob scoop that was 11x8 with 3/8 hex holes. The price was very good. I’ll see how it works. I will probably end up getting a borderline scoop any way because I like supporting Americian small businesses.

You're going to crush in that wire mesh at the back of the Borderline unit, do yourself a favor and get a real scoop.

Kob, absolutely, that is going to hold up just swell in the water as he says he plans on hunting 25% of the time. Yup, kick down on that screen good and hard, i'm sure it will take it!
Not sure why I even bother to respond to scoop questions anymore...

Last edited:
Kob, absolutely, that is going to hold up just swell in the water as he says he plans on hunting 25% of the time. Yup, kick down on that screen good and hard, i'm sure it will take it!
Not sure why I even bother to respond to scoop questions anymore...
Responding...I know...getting old.. the scoop is great for the dry. He says about 75% of the time , only a few times a year. The SS version is pretty strong and does hold up well for wet and some water hunting. Especially for his use. But yeah , of course it ain't gonna last the way WE use them. I've owned I think 4 of them before I got tired of buying them. Plus , the size was just too small for me. Any scoop will break if you abuse it , just like any tool.

Responding helps those with zero experience. So it’s cool and appreciated. I had the wire mesh scoop from borderline but it was just awkward and super heavy for me to use. Handle was too short for my taste.
My 720i and Xtreme scoops are built to last and light enough to use for a long sand hunt. The CF handles add to their overall comfort and make them a pleasure to own.

I just looked at the boarder line sand scoops and it looks like a easy fix to make one of them last but I would not use them in the water. The handle looks a little lite too.
If you get one, buy a welder too.
Have you asked around if anybody is selling a used scoop?

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

What scoops do y’all recommend? Most of my detecting will be 75 dry sand 25 knee deep. I would like to keep the scoop under $150.

I like the Xtreme scoops but I can’t justify $250 for a scoop that I will use a couple times a year. The CKG scoops look good and price is right. Anybody use one?
look sand scoop Evroexcavator-2 v.22

Back
Top Bottom