fairly good start to 2019- got better today

waltr

Elite Member
Got out new years day to a local soccer field.
$3.44 in clad was expected and always hoping for real jewelry.

Yep, a 925 ear ring weighting 0.7 gm. First silver jewelry ever.

Today, 2 Jan, went back to the old 1800's farm. Bush whacked a lot and nothing but rusty things. Sweep an area I've covered and got a strong signal. Thinking more iron dug it. Yep, a nail. Rechecked and another target. Out comes a brass tag. Checked again and still a target there. another odd shaped tag. Could see some text but couldn't read it.

After getting home cleaned them and two Dog Tax tags with the name Winchester. There isn't any place near here by that name so maybe it is the Dog's name. One is dated 1915 and they seems be to both attached to the collar buckle (nice find in itself) with steel chain which rusted off.

Attachments

• IMG_9890 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9890 (Small).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_9891 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9891 (Small).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I can certainly see some hunter naming his dog “Winchester”! That’s pretty cool seeing them that old,and they were “dog tax” tags instead of a “license”.
Nice day there Walter!

Nice way to start the year, I love finding old dog tags but my oldest is only 1969 so far. Strange finding two and part of the chain, I wonder if You dug deeper if you would find good old Winchester :shock: Congrats on a nice start to the new year!

Thanks everyone. They are great finds.

I was hoping to go out to a park half hour from me this afternoon but there was no audio from my detector. I designed and built this detector so open it it to fix the problem. Did find the problem and the design flaw that caused it. A little re-design , replace parts and do mods and it working better than before. However it is now 3pm and park closes at 4:30 so headed to the local soccer field which is 5 minutes away.
Dug some clad and a few deep pieces of old iron junk. Then 3 feet in from a side line near the center of one soccer field started digging a high conductor. Had to go deeper than most clad and out popped a disk larger than a quarter but thinner with some green, copper corrosion. Thinking what is this but having a feeling it is old stuck it in my pocket.

After getting home at 5:10pm started carefully cleaning off the dirt with a tooth pick.
The picture below is what showed up. I could see the crossed anchor & sword with crown and though I've seen this posted. Then saw the word 'token'. Bingo- Bank of Canada and it matched the pictures the internet.

A little more careful clearing a rubbing on a little nose oil brought out enough to read 1850, half penny.

Can't believe this was found on a soccer field but then again this was a farm field since before 1800. Best find of the year so far and thrilled with this find. I have seen others post them but never thought I would find one.

Attachments

• IMG_9892 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9892 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9893 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9893 (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom