• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cache in S. Korea

koreadigger

I hunt in S. Korea. Another acquaintance with a machine went up into the mountains, looking for a pass that traders used to use, taking their items from one village to another. (One of the better places to look in S. Korea.) There wasn't the normal coins that one usually finds. So the person hunted a little up the side of a hill. Got a huge signal. Began digging. And he found a stringer of coins (in a circle). 55 coins total.
All dating prior to 1900. The oldest was a huge Chinese 3-cash coin, dating into the 900's. Some of the coins looked like they were taken from the mint and put on the stringer. A beautiful group of coins. I'm still waiting to find my first stringer of coins. Gotta be two. (A stringer of coins: older Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese coins have holes in the middle. The cord of some kind was put through the holes in the coins, and then the cord and coins were tied around the stomach of the person, and then hidden under several layers of clothes. )

Good going! You have such a long history of travel and diff. countries in that area you are bound to find many interesting things. Please keep sharing with us. Cladius.

I will be more than happy to. And you let us (me) know of the interesting places you go/things you find. You are living in the most historic part of America (speaking from an European point of view) that we have. And so you have the potential of finding something that is of great historical value to the U.S. Do the research - even let us know what kind of research you are doing. We might be able to come up with a few hints. And I'm sure what you share will be greatly interesting and beneficial to all of us. I've been hunting for over 30 years, and I'm amazed at the insight I get from new people in the hobby. I always want to be a learner, not a closed person.
Keep us posted. Looking forward to some great stories from you.
God bless.

Whats the situation regarding mines etc? I still dig lots of live ammo and the odd grenade from World War II but the mines that still get exposed on our beaches scare the pants off me since I watched one being blown up.

Most of S. Korea wasn't involved in the Korean War, as having seen lots of fighting. There are corridors - areas between the huge Korean mts - that were scenes of fierce fighting. Then, there was a lot of fighting in the western corridor, and the central corridor. Very little in the eastern corridor. Also, the fighting was primarily from Seoul and Inchon north.
There was the first push by the N. Koreans, which met with almost no resistance until it reached about 40 kilometers north of Pusan, located on the southren tip of Korea. There there was a lot of fighting. So, where I do my hunting we find almost zero war artifacts, hence no unexploded ordinance/mines/etc. Makes for easy hunting. I have heard of a group of guys with machines who look for War artifacts, but I never have. I don'[t want to find mines either. (Just 2 weeks ago I did find the cache of about 30 pistol rounds, but when I looked at them, the jackets were very rusty, and so I threw those away. I don't want an explosion on my hands, either.) If I would find a mine, I would get EOD to come in.

Worse I've done is cracking open a round ball on the beach and finding a pineapple grenade inside. Very old coins and artifacts back to the 1600 hundreds can build a few inches of iron type material round them and end up looking like a small cannon ball. One sharp crack and it splits like a nut with little or no damage to whats inside.

:grin:Welcome, I am also a newbie from the mid-west USA, Iowa. I think it would be really cool living where you do, I bet you have some stories to tell and it sounds as if you've been at it awhile. I find with each day i am learning new tricks, and finds, that make the light in my head go blink, so thats why I got that sort of reading, I don't have nearly you r experience, but welcome and enjoy the club
smg-rocker, from Iowa

Back
Top Bottom