Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 AM
Detectingman Detectingman is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 166
Default Garrett GTI 2500

Ok, am I missing something here? This machine caught my eye a couple years ago but last night was researching it again. Apparently this detector is able to accurately predict both the size and composition of a target. While this is an older machine it seems to do things that others cannot with it's imaging capabilities. How come this imaging technology hasn't been added to other machines? From looking at certain sites people are still buying this machine frequently so perhaps it is one that just flies under the radar.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:07 AM
davedude davedude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 260
Default

I'm first year detectorist using an ATPRO. The GTI2500 caught my eye as well and I bought a used one on Ebay. It does find coins but I end up grabbing the ATPRO normally and so I have still not put in the time on the GTI to really learn how to use it. The ATPRO was so much easier to use I guess.
Now I have a new Equinox 800 so have been crash coursing with it to try to get off the bottom of the learning curve as fast as possible.
Doesn't make much sense I know, I am mostly using the two detectors I have that do not identify junk like the GTI does.

__________________
NOX 800, AT PRO, GTI 2500

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:27 AM
bowwinkles bowwinkles is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,170
Default

I also had one and at he same time I had a Minelab Sovereign. The Minelab far out done the 2500.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #4  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 AM
Detectingman Detectingman is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by davedude View post
I'm first year detectorist using an ATPRO. The GTI2500 caught my eye as well and I bought a used one on Ebay. It does find coins but I end up grabbing the ATPRO normally and so I have still not put in the time on the GTI to really learn how to use it. The ATPRO was so much easier to use I guess.
Now I have a new Equinox 800 so have been crash coursing with it to try to get off the bottom of the learning curve as fast as possible.
Doesn't make much sense I know, I am mostly using the two detectors I have that do not identify junk like the GTI does.
Yeah the GTI seems to really identify targets more than anything else out there. Even used they are still holding their value well for older units. The Treasurehound coil seems to be a winner as well. In the Spring I am probably going to pick up an Equinox 800 but this machine seems like a winner as well.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:12 AM
gunsil gunsil is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Posts: 982
Default

Ancient technology detector, and it is not true "imaging" at all. I see them used once or a few times for sale for $600 or less. It's technology is older than the ATP and although it is still s good machine it has limited uses, like it isn't good for hunting raw gold or hunting salt beaches. That little Nox will hunt all places pretty well.

__________________
Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt !!

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,213
Default

Originally Posted by Detectingman View post
In the Spring I am probably going to pick up an Equinox 800 but this machine seems like a winner as well.
Come spring you'll probably be able to get a used equinox 800 in the $500 range, and the 600s will be in the mid $300 range...Good time to buy as what's considered newer tech machines now seem to be dropping fast in used prices. .Ill probably also get a used. 800 at a discount in the spring, should be some other new machines coming out soon too which will drive used machine prices even further down.

__________________
Nothing going on down here


Last edited by woodbutcher; 11-27-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 11-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Detectingman Detectingman is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
Come spring you'll probably be able to get a used equinox 800 in the $500 range, and the 600s will be in the mid $300 range...Good time to buy as what's considered newer tech machines now seem to be dropping fast in used prices. .Ill probably also get a used. 800 at a discount in the spring, should be some other new machines coming out soon too which will drive used machine prices even further down.
Would be nice if it got down to $500! I know the Vanquish should be released by then so you may be right!@
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 11-28-2019, 02:28 PM
gunsil gunsil is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Posts: 982
Default

I seriously doubt used ones will go that low, they are still too popular. I did get my 800 for $750 used a few times by an Etrac user who didn't like it last summer. Used AT Maxs are still selling over $500 used, just the popularity.

__________________
Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt !!

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 11-28-2019, 02:55 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,213
Default

Originally Posted by gunsil View post
I seriously doubt used ones will go that low, they are still too popular. I did get my 800 for $750 used a few times by an Etrac user who didn't like it last summer. Used AT Maxs are still selling over $500 used, just the popularity.
Just going on what I've been seeing, and these machines are going on 2 years old now, not exactly fresh releases.
Saw a few 800s recently at 650,, and been seeing 600s sitting for weeks at 425 before they sold.
Just cause you see a $700 asking fee and then it's marked sold don't mean they got $700..Nothing new or fresh about a machine after a few years and the public gets saturated with them, not a easy sell at top dollar.Im pretty sure I'll get one in the mid $500 range come spring

__________________
Nothing going on down here


Last edited by woodbutcher; 11-28-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 11-28-2019, 03:08 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 13,041
Default

Gti 2500 older than my Ace 250.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1899 Half dollar (see upper left)

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 11-28-2019, 03:37 PM
CanSlawCartoons's Avatar
CanSlawCartoons CanSlawCartoons is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 311
Default

Garrett is still manufacturing the GTI 2500. I saw them being made when I toured their facility.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Monte Monte is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vale, in Far Eastern Oregon
Posts: 285
Default

Originally Posted by gunsil I seriously doubt used ones will go that low, they are still too popular.
Really?!?! Where? I had one spring/summer of 2001 and didn't like the overall performance, weight/balance, or handling. Since that time, going to metal detecting club meetings, get-togethers, metal detecting outings, or just spotting someone out detecting, I have only seen ONE GTI 2500, and that was in 2000/2001.


Originally Posted by CanSlawCartoons Garrett is still manufacturing the GTI 2500. I saw them being made when I toured their facility.
I know they are, but I wonder where their market it? Maybe some select 'pockets' in the USA where they are used, or they are marketed more in foreign countries, but I just never see them or hear anyone asking about them.

Monte

__________________

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... or ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Detector Outfit: An assortment of favorite detector makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 11-29-2019, 11:19 AM
graybeard graybeard is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New London Ohio
Posts: 1,459
Smile

The 2500 is an old overrated detector. The AT PRO is a better detector.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 11-29-2019, 12:44 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 13,041
Default

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
The 2500 is an old overrated detector. The AT PRO is a better detector.
Absolutely 👍 The GTI should be like a Tesoro...Retired.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1899 Half dollar (see upper left)


Last edited by metaladdict; 11-29-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add comments
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.