Equinox get everything?

graybeard

Elite Member
I hunted an area with the Equinox 800 using the 6" coil. The Equinox don't have the upgrade yet.
park 2
multi frequency
5 tone
sensitivity 25
iron bias 0
recovery speed 5
noise cancelled and ground balanced
I found 21 quarters,7 dimes and 5 nickels

Hunting the same area I used the F75 LTD with the Nel snake coil 3 1/2 x 6 1/2
JE mode
delta pitch tone
sensitivity 84
I found 38 quarters, 4 dimes and 1 nickel

That shows the Equinox don't find everything.

I have hunted the same areas with the Nox I hunted with the several other detectors including an F70 with 5 different coils and found stuff.
I hunted the same areas with an F70 that I hunted with several other detectors and found stuff.
I hunted the same areas with a Mojave that I hunted with other detectors and found stuff.
Did the same with a Vaquero, a Compadre and an F2 combinations and found more things every time.

I found treasure each time I did not find with others.

Just when you think there was nothing left I changed coils on a few different detectors and found more.

No detectors find everything every time.
Too many variables...soil moisture and conditions, coils, the direction you come at targets from, speed, settings, a lot of things can change on every single hunt.

This means nothing, the main thing is just getting out and hunting.

I have hunted the same areas with the Nox I hunted with the several other detectors including an F70 with 5 different coils and found stuff.

I hunted the same areas with an F70 that I hunted with several other detectors and found stuff.

I hunted the same areas with a Mojave that I hunted with other detectors and found stuff.

Did the same with a Vaquero, a Compadre and an F2 combinations and found more things every time.

I found treasure each time I did not find with others.

Just when you think there was nothing left I changed coils on a few different detectors and found more.

No detectors find everything every time.

Too many variables...soil moisture and conditions, coils, the direction you come at targets from, speed, settings, a lot of things can change on every single hunt.

This means nothing, the main thing is just getting out and hunting.

^^Spot on. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you got your Equinox coil over those 38 quarters and it didn't alert you to them I would agree with you,but I think you would have had the same results if you just went back over it with your Equinox.

The Equinox does pretty much get everything, at least with what I've observed in the last 5 months...

I use an AT Pro and do great with that machine here in Western Montana. My detecting buddy uses an Equinox 600 and does well also. He used to have an MXTPro and didn't find nearly as much as I did with the AT Pro. Since switching to the Nox about 5 months ago, our finds are pretty equal.

Used to be, when we had permission to detect a front yard, he would take one side of the yard, with the sidewalk in between, and I would take the other side. With the MXT I could go over his side of the yard and pull some coins, including one time a nice Ben Franklin Half. With the Nox, when I double check his side of the yard (he double checks mine) I find that he has cleaned it out and covered it really well.

As for finding coins that other machines have missed, I've done that myself many times with my own detector! Using the Pro, I recently re-checked a historic property (1890's mansion) and found I missed a Silver Merc, Dog Tag, a few Wheaties and a bit of copper pennies and modern clad. There are too many variables to call any one machine the "end all" of cleaning out a particular site.

I'm running My NOX 800 in 50 tones..Park2...trying to get a similar set up as my trusty F70 running in Delta Pitch...When it comes to busting mega Q's out of target heavy dirt, its all about the tones and the recovery speed....Jury is still out for me as to which one is the 'best'.....

Both the F70 and NOX are capable Q clad hammers...Its the tight multidenom spills I'm paying attention to and hoping the NOX with its multifreak capabilities gives me the upper hand..so far, its a tie....

No........no........no.......la la la la la la I'm not listened to you. This never happened. La la la .

YOUR JUST MAKING THIS UP AREN'T YOU.? .....AREN'T YOU??????

If this is a huge park anything can happen especially with small coils. The only real way to do it is in a controlled situation like a yard that is not so big where it's easy to go back over the exact same ground in the exact same way with the ground conditions being exactly the same i.e. the same day. I bet your results would be different doing it that way. No way I believe any machine missed 38 quarters.

I'm always amazed at watching some people metal detect on YouTube. They swing their detector like it's a weed eater. Never overlapping their swings and arcing their swings. It's no wonder that they don't find everything the first time through. Slow down, make your swings count, grid your search and hit it from at least 3 directions.

Just speaking in general, not necessarily about the OP.

I hunted an area with the Equinox 800 using the 6" coil. The Equinox don't have the upgrade yet.
park 2
multi frequency
5 tone
sensitivity 25
iron bias 0
recovery speed 5

JE mode
delta pitch tone
sensitivity 84

Just because you went back over the same area doesn't mean you went back over the same exact area unless you swung the coil exactly the same, which is highly improbable. I could say the same for the many detectors I have used through the years but it comes down to one thing; gotta get the coil over the target first and foremost, no matter what detector you are swinging:yes: Hunt an area on a day after rain versus 3 days after a rain. Soil conditions are just too big of a variable. That's why most places are never hunted out. Good luck and Happy Hunting:D

park 2
multi frequency
5 tone
sensitivity 25
iron bias 0
recovery speed 5

JE mode
delta pitch tone
sensitivity 84

No, what your post suggests is YOU didn’t find everything.
Instead you are pinning it on a detector model.

I would say there are loads of detectors using small coils, if area is hunted hard and the person knows how to run the detector with small coil, it would be a stretch to go back in and find 38 quarters.
Quarter is giant.
Hard to hide from a detector vs smaller coins.

Now if you would have done head to heads on your monster haul.
Then I would,give weight.

I would even give weight if you would have just found a few on your last hunt even without head to heads.

What I would have done is, after finding day 10 additional quarters using fisher model and small coil, I would have been curious, hence did some head to heads on some of the later found quarters. Your thinking here could be in error. Hence could cost you in future detecting.

If your thread here was speaking of using another model detector besides equinox, I would be saying the same thing here.
So I am not defending Equinox per se here.

Last edited:
I remember what a fellow Hunter's Dad told me years ago. We were setting in his living room it was a fairly large room with old hardwood floors. I said something about places being hunted out and he replied. Son look at it like this old floor and you were cleaning it with a pencil eraser.....you'll never cover it all. He was 100% right.

I have hunted many sites with different detectors. You can find stuff behind any of them. Usually sweep direction is a big factor. Ground moisture. Even your energy and concentration level. Enjoy yourself.

First off I posted the settings I used on both detectors, so nobody would wonder if I set the settings so I could find anything. I should of said I was detecting parallel along a fence. I did NOT run with the Equinox and slowly walk with the F75 LTD. I went the same with both detectors. I can see missing a few quarters, but 38 is a lot to miss. I was able to locate and dig deeper coins using the Nel coil. I have read Nel coils detect deeper than manufactures coils.

First off I posted the settings I used on both detectors, so nobody would wonder if I set the settings so I could find anything. I should of said I was detecting parallel along a fence. I did NOT run with the Equinox and slowly walk with the F75 LTD. I went the same with both detectors. I can see missing a few quarters, but 38 is a lot to miss. I was able to locate and dig deeper coins using the Nel coil. I have read Nel coils detect deeper than manufactures coils.

I can appreciate your effort here but your "comparison" also shows that the F75 doesn't hit nickels very well; unless the Equinox found all but one from the same exact area. With that being said, the Equinox DID find pretty much everything as far as nickels go and we know that most detectors struggle with nickels. The Equinox found more dimes as well. I work in chemical engineering; there is always more than one way to interpret data.
Test gardens produce better head-to-head comparisons by far.:yes:

No, what your post suggests is YOU didn’t find everything.
Instead you are pinning it on a detector model.

I would say there are loads of detectors using small coils, if area is hunted hard and the person knows how to run the detector with small coil, it would be a stretch to go back in and find 38 quarters.
Quarter is giant.
Hard to hide from a detector vs smaller coins.

Now if you would have done head to heads on your monster haul.
Then I would,give weight.

I would even give weight if you would have just found a few on your last hunt even without head to heads.

What I would have done is, after finding day 10 additional quarters using fisher model and small coil, I would have been curious, hence did some head to heads on some of the later found quarters. Your thinking here could be in error. Hence could cost you in future detecting.

If your thread here was speaking of using another model detector besides equinox, I would be saying the same thing here.
So I am not defending Equinox per se here.

The first sentence above is what I was going to say also....it’s VERY difficult to make these comparisons in an uncontrolled atmosphere because of all the reasons being stated. MOST all “mid-level and up” machines will see MOST targets....all other variables being the same,which they never really are....
It’s easy to lose one’s objectivity when there is a “favorite” involved...I know. But it’s not useable scientific data,it’s just opinion. For a Minelab to NOT hit a quarter would be a real trick. For it to miss 38 of them would constitute an entire magic show.

The first sentence above is what I was going to say also....it’s VERY difficult to make these comparisons in an uncontrolled atmosphere because of all the reasons being stated. MOST all “mid-level and up” machines will see MOST targets....all other variables being the same,which they never really are....
It’s easy to lose one’s objectivity when there is a “favorite” involved...I know. But it’s not useable scientific data,it’s just opinion. For a Minelab to NOT hit a quarter would be a real trick. For it to miss 38 of them would constitute an entire magic show.

If I hunted really behind any detector that left 38 quarters (and I knew how to operate) I would dump quickly.

I never hunt a small site once or even twice with model X, and the go back with model Y and make finds.
Instead Intry to hunt at least 4 times with model X then go in with model Y, and see what happens.
I try to keep track of any landmarks in the area to give me assurance of just how well certain areas were indeed hunted with model X detector.

But maybe my process is way flawed.
I have never found 38 coins any denomination using a second detector hunting behind a first detector.
Remember I am in poor azz Tn back when, so maybe it’s possible elsewhere.

Now if using model Y detector and the finds seems to ve blazing, a red flag jumps out. Why??Why is this happening. This is when it’s time to break out detector X again and check some of the detectors model Y located targets too see the real deal.
If detector X infact can’t detect detectors mdoel Y finds on this outing. I may be wanting;g to dig carefully and check orientation of find and maybe inspect for ferrous materials.
I sure would want to be careful and not jump too quick think8g detector model Y was the culprit for the additional finds. (Certainly not 38 quarters)

I should point out, it is very possible for a detector to make finds behind another, coin wise,,but it isn’t always because detector X didn’t detect, instead it detected and gave wrong ID. So was detector X, was there anything that could have been done better settings wise to help with this???

I can attest I have found silver coins in areas where Deus and LF coils were heavily used using Equinox. But here I highly suspect Deus was not Iding. Equinox was. Some levels of modern trash in these sites too, and this causes a Deus user to get lazy. Hard to dig all nonferrous in these kind souls of sites.

Last edited:
How long in between the two hunts? My equinox hits hard on quarters, I have a hard time believing you got your coil over those missed quarters with the nox.

Back
Top Bottom