• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Native American marble? Civil war era toy?

L0S3R

Elite Member
I found this in a hole I was digging last night. Up on the hillside. It appears to me to be a Native American marble. It’s definitely not machine made. It’s not perfectly round either but pretty close.

I’m not sure what it’s made from, maybe stone? Very smooth and rather shiny after a little cleaning.

Thoughts?

c09f8b218c0a06898bbe5ee8161e428b.jpg
39953d40f61e39704538735909d0ecfd.jpg

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

The Civil war era clay marbles in my collection are a lot rounder than that one, so are my stone ones. If it is a stone marble you should be able to see small facets where it was ground round. It helps with a magnifying glass and a light from the side. My avatar is a stone marble sitting on a penlight.
It could be an Indian marble, or just a round rock

Could be a rock someone tumbled as well. Maybe it got mixed in when they were tumbling thier clad by accident. Not sure what else you would use a rock tumbler for. :D

It was 20’ up a steep hill, covered in woods. About 8” deep. Civil war and Native American activity is well known in this area of WV. I haven’t found a map showing a homesite here before my home was built but the old logging road in the area was 1800s. And I’m finding stuff over 100 years older than my home.

My google search has found several similar stone marbles or as Archie’s call them “Native American game balls” but I can’t prove mine is or isn’t.

Google also said most of them are not very round when made from stone. I’m still not sure. I tumble rocks smooth for the sheer fun of the end product and this doesn’t look like any I’ve had before.

Maybe this pic will help some?

5e29903b6c71d79db0c797195add720c.jpg

Maybe I can get the wife to get better pics with her camera, she leaves my detector alone I leave her camera alone lol.

Ok, it could be a “Native American game ball”.
Find context gives this a better chance but you need an expert to help determine.

Ok, it could be a “Native American game ball”.

Find context gives this a better chance but you need an expert to help determine.

The local universities won’t help, they said unless they can search the area they can’t advise. If it’s private property they won’t touch it with owners permission.... stupid. I dunno who else to ask?!

Back
Top Bottom