Water scoop

Robm1093

I purchased a large T-Rex scoop I thought I was going to be doing more water hunting so far I've been detecting one year and I have done very little water hunting. I feel like I'm carrying around a large sledgehammer, does large scoop help you in water hunting or would a medium size one do just as well?

the larger the scoop

The better the chance of recovery first stab. Heavy to tote around, even heavier with half a cubic foot of wet medium to lift. I had one of those monsters and traded it toward a White's stainless scoop half the size.
Do your back a favor and take two scoops to recover that ring.:D

I use the large t-rex as it makes it easier to get the target in the water. I tried a smaller scoop that worked well on the sand but it was in my opinion inadequate for use in the water especially when the water is moving and so murky that you can not see your coil.

Yes large scoops help in the water, specially if it is ruffer waters. I have the 720, one with a fiber glass handle, and one with the carbon fiber. If you have a wood handle go fiber glass or carbon fiber for that extra light weight. Either will make a big difference in weight over wood.

Yes large scoops help in the water, specially if it is ruffer waters. I have the 720, one with a fiber glass handle, and one with the carbon fiber. If you have a wood handle go fiber glass or carbon fiber for that extra light weight. Either will make a big difference in weight over wood.

You can get a fiberglass handle at your hardware store for $15-$20, but most will be thin walled and not wide enough for the T-Rex or Stealth. Eliminate play by wrapping duct tape or Gorilla tape around the handle and it might last you a season before you need to replace the tape.

Here is a link to the only fiberglass handle I've found that perfectly fits these scoops. The walls of the fiberglass are thicker and it includes a dowel at the bottom for support...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=225659

R5

Try an Extreme scoop with fiberglass. Slightly smaller scoop than my Stealth but over 2 lbs lighter. Construction on these is superb and they have different variants you can get like Stealth. Only critique I really have with this one is I bought the type that has small holes in the back of the basket to catch earrings but they don't extend onto the bottom of the scoop enough so 80% of the time when I'm chasing a tiny annoying earring in fine sand, it falls through the larger holes before it makes it to the smaller ones in the back anyway.

Attachments

• sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 493
  • sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 501
  • sc3.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 468
The t-rex itself is heavy. That is why you see alot of people on here go with a stealth or stavr scoop. The scoops themselves are a about half the weight and build better then a t-rex

Remember too that not everyone is an ex college athlete in his 30s.
Or that many ex college athletes have lived long enough that those old injuries are having to be worked around.

Last edited:
I had an old steel scoop like Toms and it worked well. It let the sand out quick and easy.
I now have a heavy T rex and it has holes that are too small so I recommend a scoop with 5/8 inch holes or 1/2. The T rex takes nice deep bites in the sand and pebbles.
My arms are not very big so for me its some labor.

OK Swing and Felix. I can tell now you guys don't like skinny old people. I'm so old I fart dust and I have wrinkles for muscles. :oldguy: No respect just no respect!:lol:

Too funny. I’m an 80 year old trapped in a 39 year old rotund body!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Swing and Felix. I can tell now you guys don't like skinny old people. I'm so old I fart dust and I have wrinkles for muscles. :oldguy: No respect just no respect!:lol:
There just isn't anything much lighter out there than a 720. My buddy that has one of those Ukraine Stavr knockoffs that I have used is lighter than my Stealth - but only because its a smaller scoop. (I actually wouldn't mind getting one of those). I was falling apart as well and that is why I bought the 720 and the CF handle. I was having some pretty bad issues with my left shoulder because of digging. I saw the trainer in my school and did the therapy he recommended plus I also started a resistance band workout that I did for about a year focusing on my shoulder. No more issues. Recently, I restarted strengthening and conditioning my core because I'm 54 and I realize that its important to get to old age being as strong as you can get. As we all know, water and wet sand hunting is not for the weak and I want to be able to successfully detect as long as possible. :oldguy:

Attachments

• Toby.jpg
    Toby.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 376
A longer and wider scoop will always be the first choice in the water for quicker recovery. Until you find something lighter, Do what most of the guys here in Connecticut do drag the scoop behind you or carrie it over your shoulders.

I do not drag my scoop or carry it with my hands. I carry the scoop on my belt. I use a tool lasso (ladder section at the Lowes store). I carry the scoop up with the handle down. The weight of the scoop is on my belt and after a few hours I do have to readjust my belt but I do not have all that weight in my hands. I tried dragging the scoop and that became work. I am lazy and old so I look for the easiest way to do something.

Stealth and Stavr

The assist handles make a big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 335
There just isn't anything much lighter out there than a 720. My buddy that has one of those Ukraine Stavr knockoffs that I have used is lighter than my Stealth - but only because its a smaller scoop. (I actually wouldn't mind getting one of those). I was falling apart as well and that is why I bought the 720 and the CF handle. I was having some pretty bad issues with my left shoulder because of digging. I saw the trainer in my school and did the therapy he recommended plus I also started a resistance band workout that I did for about a year focusing on my shoulder. No more issues. Recently, I restarted strengthening and conditioning my core because I'm 54 and I realize that its important to get to old age being as strong as you can get. As we all know, water and wet sand hunting is not for the weak and I want to be able to successfully detect as long as possible. :oldguy:

You must be a sissy Felix. I'm 68 and hunt most day's carrying the 720 with a wooden handle. I usually hunt 6 to 8 hours without stopping and a minimum of 4 hours. Eat your Wheaties buddy.:laughing: That's ok you'll get old one day. 54? you are still in diapers. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom