What was your unplanned bucket list find?

Chroma

Elite Member
By that, I mean: What was something you never set out to find, but realized was a bucket list find for you after further research?

For me, it was an old railroad lock I found the other day. Railroad items weren't even on my radar until I dug up the lock, which cued some online reading. I think I might be a railroad lock hunter now, and I've added railroad switch key to the bucket list.

lock_front.jpg

lock_back.jpg

Very cool find, congrats on the lock. Over the years I have been amazed at what I find, things I never knew existed but as far as an unintended bucket lister. and again I never knew of these, would be a carriage tag. I was found this one in 2019 and later that year found one from 1899. HH Mark

Attachments

• redo205.jpg
    redo205.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 351
1835 capped bust half dime. Maybe not so rare in many states, but in southwest Kansas, the chances of a busted coin are pretty slim. Probably lost by a traveler on the Santa Fe Trail.

Attachments

• 1835-5-cent-both.jpg
    1835-5-cent-both.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 359
I posted this about 4 years ago when just learning the AT Pro. Came out of a yard ca 1920 in Missoula Montana. Hobo Nickel. Real. I had no idea what this was other than it was the most unusual Buffalo Nickel I'd ever seen.

Attachments

• hobo1.jpg
    hobo1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 340
  • hobo2.jpg
    hobo2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 333
This is an easy one for me, and one that I retrieved right at the beginning of the hunting season in early March here in Iowa. Pictured is what I believe to be is a homemade watch or key fob with my wife's great-grandfather's initials. Unfortunately, he died before she was born so she has no memory of him.

It was found in a cornfield in what used to be the front yard of her grandparents farmhouse. The land sold in the late 90's and the house was demolished in the early 2000's. Anything handmade from an ancestor that came out of the ground through MD'ing is about as precious as it gets in my book and a completely unexpected bucket lister.

Attachments

• HWG Fob March 2022.jpg
    HWG Fob March 2022.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 316
3500 to 5000 years old copper adze

Wasn't expecting to find this copper culture artifact so close to home. The head of archeology for our state museum said it was a very fine example. They are very rare for the Hudson Valley area. In fact. I don't know anyone else that has found one near my area at all.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130916_233855.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130916_233855.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 306
One weekend at a former school site I found my first silver coin (Rosie) on a Saturday. Went back Sunday and did some sloppy swinging on my way to where I'd found the dime. Got a good signal and was almost annoyed that I was being delayed getting to my "hotspot." And popped this out. At the time my bucket list was a Buffalo nickel and a Mercury dime, didn't dare hope beyond those.

Attachments

• Walklib nope.jpg
    Walklib nope.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 301
Old Copper Culture piece I found while I was trying to find where a colonial tavern was. Never did I think I'd find a piece of OCC in my area of NY

Attachments

• 162478432_10220066920848103_3304645169850293145_n (2).jpg
    162478432_10220066920848103_3304645169850293145_n (2).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 310
I had been metal detecting for six months and finding a lot of clad and a few silver coins from the 1900's with my Ace 250. I was doing an old baseball field and dug up a complete colonial shoe buckle. I had no idea what it was, so I just stuffed it in my pocket and kept detecting. Took me awhile to realize what I had found and the rest is history. Since that day, I've spent most of my metal detecting time over the last ten years searching for colonial relics.

Attachments

• DSC01982.jpg
    DSC01982.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC01983.jpg
    DSC01983.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 297
I found this button and thought it was just a fancy button. After cleaning it. I could see the date 1744 after some research I found that this was not a normal button. It was a Reale replica cuff link button. They where worn by the colonists to protest the taxes that Britain had imposed on them.

You never know what you will find!

Attachments

• 0F74E8D1-591B-44CE-A795-555EE36AB3BA.jpg
    0F74E8D1-591B-44CE-A795-555EE36AB3BA.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 248
I dug my first one in 2019 in an old park that used to be my county's original fairgrounds. I thought it was just another aluminum piece of junk. When I noticed the stamped letters, I did a little googling and discovered it was a unique piece of Americana , I dug another variety last year in the same area of the same old park. Definitely a good sign of historic human "activity".

Attachments

• 3 Merry widows tin.jpg
    3 Merry widows tin.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 3merry widows 3-9-21.jpg
    3merry widows 3-9-21.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 237
By that, I mean: What was something you never set out to find, but realized was a bucket list find for you after further research?

For me, it was an old railroad lock I found the other day. Railroad items weren't even on my radar until I dug up the lock, which cued some online reading. I think I might be a railroad lock hunter now, and I've added railroad switch key to the bucket list.

View attachment 502157

View attachment 502158

This was NEVER on my bucket list , but I've always wanted to find something personal that I could trace back to a person from many years ago ...
This is a blunt bodkin , it's a tool for dress making/seamstress, for threading ribbon or cord through a hem..
After I dug this silver piece I researched the lady and found where she lived and is buried...which is about 5 miles from my house ..
Never imagined I'd find an item engraved with a name and yr , let alone from 1694..she was 9 years old when this was made for her ...
This beats out all my coin finds IMO...just the fact it was in the ground for probably 300 plus years and being silver

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20220704_134836.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20220704_134836.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 240
This was NEVER on my bucket list , but I've always wanted to find something personal that I could trace back to a person from many years ago ...
This is a blunt bodkin , it's a tool for dress making/seamstress, for threading ribbon or cord through a hem..
After I dug this silver piece I researched the lady and found where she lived and is buried...which is about 5 miles from my house ..
Never imagined I'd find an item engraved with a name and yr , let alone from 1694..she was 9 years old when this was made for her ...
This beats out all my coin finds IMO...just the fact it was in the ground for probably 300 plus years and being silver

goldendreams, That personalized blunt bodkin is imho one of the most fantastic finds from MDing that His Majesty has ever seen! Royal Congrats on finding it and tracing its long history! My Mother was a master seamstress....that is why it is so fantastic to me!

goldendreams, That personalized blunt bodkin is imho one of the most fantastic finds from MDing that His Majesty has ever seen! Royal Congrats on finding it and tracing its long history! My Mother was a master seamstress....that is why it is so fantastic to me!

So you knew what a bodkin was? Cuz when i dug it i had no idea what it was and was ID'D after i had posted it ...

goldendreams, That personalized blunt bodkin is imho one of the most fantastic finds from MDing that His Majesty has ever seen!

I've got to agree on this one even though the King talks to himself. That is a very cool find. Lots of great finds here but that is really cool. :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom