Recovered wedding ring question

kamogawa

Whenever finding a ring with a date engraving, I will go to great lengths to research marriage records in the state where I found it. BUT !!
I don't not proceed to check other states in the U.S. because of the huge amount of time it takes just for a single state. I would like to know to what extent do you do to research lost rings that you find.

And what methods do you use as far as data bases that can assist you in this effort? is there any kind of a national registry that jewelers use?

Whenever finding a ring with a date engraving, I will go to great lengths to research marriage records in the state where I found it. BUT !!
I don't not proceed to check other states in the U.S. because of the huge amount of time it takes just for a single state. I would like to know to what extent do you do to research lost rings that you find.

And what methods do you use as far as data bases that can assist you in this effort? is there any kind of a national registry that jewelers use?

If you have people who vacation in your state how would you find an owner unless it was engraved with a full name... I had that in a school ring I returned... I don't go out of my way to return stuff...

If you have people who vacation in your state how would you find an owner unless it was engraved with a full name... I had that in a school ring I returned... I don't go out of my way to return stuff...

In the case of newer rings with wedding dates and initials, I was never been able to track the owner down.

I was successful in one class ring return where her name was etched in the ring,one where there was never a find and one currently posted on the school's alumni page where it will be for a year. If no hits then I'll put it in the pile.

I've found two class rings. One was a cheap alloy of some kind, but it had a name and a school and it didn't take me long to find the owner. But she never replied to my email.

The second one I found was 10k. It had initials and a year, but no school name. I tried looking up yearbooks for the few schools in the area. I even had to sign up for classmates using a fictitious name because one of the schools didn't allow non-alumni to have access. No one knew anyone with those initials from that year. It got scrapped and paid for a really nice dinner for me and my wife. šŸ˜

Those were the only two jewelry pieces that were somewhat personally identifiable. Fortunately for me. Lol
I dread the day I find a stunning diamond ring with a laser engraved stone.

Then there was this find...wild dogs couldn't keep me from tracking down the owner:

Thread 'Probably my most satisfying find so far - CW ID returned!' https://metaldetectingforum.com/ind...satisfying-find-so-far-cw-id-returned.300642/

Back
Top Bottom