How to clean Coins from flooded basement?

abbynormal

Elite Member
Ok, so this is not about coins I found, but ones that my mother had in a metal box in her basement when it filled up with 4 feet of water last month.
I rescued a good bit of her stuff, including this box. These coins have sentimental value to her as they were coins that her late father had been saving.
There are wheat pennies and silver. I was planning on tumbling the wheats.
But as I was sorting them (everything is black) I noticed that some of them looked a bit shinier at the edge and a bit rustier. A phone call to Mom later, and she said that yes, some were steel wheaties.
I had told Mom I'd try to clean up her coins. How the heck do I clean up the rusty wheats? She isn't worried about their value for sale to collectors, she just wants them to look better than they do now.
Any suggestions?
Also, what would you do with the silver? There's a good handful each of Mercs and war nickels. Do I tumble them, or clean them individually with baking soda or something?
These coins are way blacker and dirtier than most coins I've ever pulled from the dirt.

Thanks!

The wheaties id try boiling peroxide or and the silver, if soap and water doesnt work id leave em alone

I'd tumble the wheats and try cleaning the silver with a normal silver cleaner. If she wants to there are ways to put patina back on them if desired. Bummer they got flooded hope you get em all cleaned up for her. :grin:

In the standard Harbor Freight rock tumbler I would toss all of them in ( perhaps limit to 35 coins), using 60% of a tumbler with gravel, not quite enough water to cover the gravel and 1/2 teaspoon of Conklin's 'Multi-Surface Cleaning Gel'. Give them two hours, pull out the steel pennies, and run it another 10 hours. Pour out the remaining liquid and save, reuse, and toss the sludge.

I bought mine directly from Conklin.
www.conklin.com out of Shakopee, MN.
Comes in one pint plastic bottles for $6.95 and with shipping over $11.00.
Pretty expensive but lasts a long time, plus, when draining your tumbler, save the liquid and reuse adding just a bit new, maybe 1/3 of a teaspoon.
Go to their website, click on 'cleaners', then click on Heavy Duty Cleaners.
It is called Multi-Surface Cleaning Gel.
I have done 500 wheats I had saved from my childhood and they look great.

I had a bunch of steelies that I got from my Grandfather. Some were so disclored you couldn't even see the date. I had great success using dilluted lemon juice to clean those. And as far as I know, this really only works on the steel wheats. There is a mix ratio in a post here somewhere, but I can't remember who posted it.

Let the steel wheats soak in a straight lemon juice bath, 5 or 6 at a time, and turn them over, occasionally, for a couple of days. Scrub them with a toothbrush and they should be nice and shiny. Scrub the silver coins with a toothbrush using a white toothpaste. That shines up most silver coins and rings just fine. However, this should not be done on key date coins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom