How to Clean and Doctor Silver Coins

Romeo7

Forum Supporter
This posting is the result from my leaning experience documented in the thread :
Brown Barber Dime - Can it be cleaned? http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=28864

****WARNING: Doctoring coins may decrease the value of the coin. Doctoring coins are done at your own risk. Please research the value of the coin BEFORE changing their appearance. ******

I found a barber dime that was heavily tarnished and corroded. It would not come clean using the normal method of warm water and soap or a good thumb rubbing. I checked the value of it and was worth about $3-$4 in good condition. They minted about 16 Million of this variety, so this was definitely not a key date. I wanted to look like my other coins in my coin book, so I decided to "doctor" the coin. I was NOT worried about the value of this coin...

P0003628.jpg

Step 1 - Electrolysis

When you hear "electrolysis" you think of wires, batteries and harmful chemicals. Well, with silver you can have a very easy type of naturally occurring electrolysis. I used a PLASTIC bowl. You can also use ceramic. DO NOT use metal. I added only about 1/4 inch deep of water. I added a 1/8 teaspoon of Baking Soda to the water. I also added a dash of salt. Then I nuked the bowl of water for one minute. Next, cut a piece of aluminum foil roughly twice the size of the coin. Submerge the coin on top of the aluminum foil with the shiny side making good contact with the coin. It will start to give off little bubbles. This is the sign that the electrolysis is working. Only leave it in for about five minutes. For my coin, I had to actually wrap the coin in the foil and let it fizz for about 30 minutes. The tarnish started falling off in clumps. Remove the coin and rinse. I then used a baking soda paste and used it to rub the rest of the tarnish away. The next picture is the result.

P0003638.jpg

Step 2 - Removing stubborn corrosion

After the cleaning, the coin is still visibly corroded and pitted. With my coin I was lucky that it was only on the surface. I took my Dremel with a steel (be sure to wear safety goggles) wire brush cleaner and gently cleaned around the raised relief until the corrosion was gone. (Sorry, no Picture)

Step 3 - Making it Old Again

So now the coin is too shiny and it very undesirable to any collector in this condition so what do you do? I used a hard boiled egg. First, prepare a jar with a good lid. You will need to seal the coin in with the sulfur gases given off by the egg. Make a slip in some plastic rap and set the coin in it. We have to give equal amounts of air to both side of the coin, or you can do this twice per side with the coin laying flat. The coin CAN NOT touch the egg yolk because it will turn it bright orange. When you have the jar ready, crack the hard boiled egg open and remove the yolk. Crumble it up and drop it in the bottom of the jar. Quickly place the plastic wrap with the coin in the jar and screw on the top. Leave overnight.

P0003656.jpg

Step 4 - The Final Touch

Remove the coin after both sides are exposed to the sulfur gasses. It should be dark, maybe black or dark brown. Now clean the coin like you would when you normally find one in the ground. I use a thumb rubbing to take the dirt and tarnish off of the raised relief. The next picture is the final result of the aging process and is ready for the coin book!

P0003667.jpg

Remember that "Doctoring" a coin can hurt the value of a coin. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT do this to any silver coin that may be of any value.

Thanks for stopping by and happy hunting.

Huh, I really like that last step there Mark with the egg, never saw that before. And I think it really makes the coin look much better than the shiny version.

Nice post!

Coin doctors do this and many other nefarious tricks to make silver coins colorful. It seems 'color' is a current collector fad... I do not understand it at all since it is only surface decomposition. They then sell the coin for far more than it is worth. Of course, if discovered, the coin becomes worthless. However, there are enough neophytes (read that suckers) in coin collecting to make the efforts worthwhile. RickO

Neat post! I will confess I usually shine my silver coins up with a little polish called "Peek." I have yet to find anything valuable, and I have no intention of selling any of them. I like 'em shiny.

im sure i heard some one say you can wrap the silver coin in foil then put it in the oven and this cleans them i think i got it right

wow, that is really cool, I will try to do that with my coins that are worth nothing, just to make them look good. Thanks for the info.

Interesting post and nice coin.

Cleaning modern hard surface machine made silver coins is an art. Buyers of silver coins look for a natural silver lustre that's nearly impossible to duplicate via any cleaning process.

What I do with very ugly dug silver coins is place a piece of foil on the bottom of a glass dish. Then I mix common Baking Soda into water and heat it to boiling. Place coin on foil and pour the boiling hot water/baking soda over the coin until it is covered by a good couple of inches. The coin will bubble until the solution cools. Repeat the process with the other side of the coin on the foil. You'll see dirt from the coin on the foil.

Once both sides of the coin have been done, wash coin with mild hand soap and rinse.

This is a unique process that turns surface dirt to mud.

Note: Often this process must be repeated several times.

When the coin is cleaned as well as possible, allow it to dry (never buff the coin) and it will have a nearly original silver lustre with maybe just some darker areas where the dirt didn't remove. This is good because the coin dosen't look harshly cleaned. Harsh cleaning is what really turns silver coin buyers off.

Badger

As a long time collector I would say that you took a barber dime with little or no collectable value other than silver value and made it worth putting in a collection again. While it won't bring as much as an original undoctored coin it would bring more than silver value. Nice job on the restoration (I don't like to call it cleaning if you know what you are doing).:waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom