how to clean coin\button?

Tuckertank

Hi guys, new to the hobby and was hoping for some help. yesterday i found what i thought was a coin but now maybe i think it's a old button or something? it's covered in a thick layer of crust so i don't really know what i have if anything.

I did some reading and tried soakin it in olive oil but that hasn't done anything and i scrubbed with soap and water and that didn't take any of it off either.

is there anyting else i can do? i'm just curious what it is. any help would be great!!

again pretty new so don't know all the finer points. it picked up as a dime on my detector. it's made of metal obviously but i don't know specificly what kind. it's pretty heavy and the size of a fat nickel.

Have you tried hot peroxide?

Get a small plastic container put in about 1in level worth of peroxide. Put that in the microwave and heat it up until it starts to boil. Then pull it out of the microwave.

Drop your coin in and let fizz away. When the bubbles stop, pull the coin out and re-heat the peroxide.

Repeat a couple times obviously make sure you flip the coin each time.

See if that will pull some of the crud off.

Post some pictures to let us see how it goes.

Mike good post! Also Tucker if you put a solution of 3/4 Hydrogen Paroxide with 1/4 lemon juice it works amazing. But you can only use it once.

Just be careful. Its a big temptation to think you can shine an old sneaker.

:oldguy:

thanks guys, i'll give it a try tonight, at this point i just want to know if it's something cool or a dud.

Trying this today as well

Got an old slug the size of a .50 center last night outside a bar. I will try the hydrogen peroxide today, just to see if I can make out text on it. It is magnetic.

Mike good post! Also Tucker if you put a solution of 3/4 Hydrogen Paroxide with 1/4 lemon juice it works amazing. But you can only use it once.

Peroxide and lemon juice do two much different things when used correctly and there's absolutely no point to mixing them.

Back
Top Bottom