Liquid mercury

Just be careful with it because it will evaporate if it’s opened and that’s enough to kill a lot of folks.

I know I’m stating the obvious

I wouldn't think any reputable scientist or lab would want it because 1) They aren't looking for "deals" because they don't pay for things like that out of their own pocket. 2) They would be concerned about contamination.

I'd skip trying to make a buck and contact my local hazardous waste drop off and ask them where to take it.

I would definitely try to sell it. I'm pretty sure it's legal to own. Just keep it closed up, don't handle it with bare hands. Lots of guys would love to own that much mercury. I would, if I had the bucks. Lots of people are doing levitation experiments with mercury using liquid nitrogen and rare earth magnets, myself included. If you just want to get rid of it, I'll pay the shipping.

I have a 5lb bottle of lab grade mercury, and no idea what it's worth or even where to sell it. Still has the lab supply label on it even.

You said it still has the lab label on it.. might want to call them..they should be able to give you all of the info you need.. never know they may even purchase it back from you since they can easily test it

I would call the largest metal recycling place in your area. If they don't want it, I bet they know who would.

You said it still has the lab label on it.. might want to call them..they should be able to give you all of the info you need.. never know they may even purchase it back from you since they can easily test it

The only info I need is where to sell it. I doubt the supplier would buy it back, but I know there is a market for this stuff. People harvest it from old switches and such and sell it as 'scrap mercury', but this is clean lab grade stuff, and 5lbs of it. I also have a smaller quantity of loose mercury that probably has some dust contamination.

Very slow to evaporate, and unlikely to kill anyone even if it does, just cause some treatable medical problems.

I didn’t mean from the evaporation - I just meant someone who doesn’t take the necessary precautions....if it gets sold to joe blow off of craigslist

That would make one heck of a lot of fulminated mercury.
I remember high school chemistry, Silver, N acid and iodine same effect. We had to refrigerate to keep it stable. ended up getting throw out in one of the fields so we would not get caught. It was going off by itself for several days, until the rain dissolved it. The good old days of High School.

I remember high school chemistry, Silver, N acid and iodine same effect. We had to refrigerate to keep it stable. ended up getting throw out in one of the fields so we would not get caught. It was going off by itself for several days, until the rain dissolved it. The good old days of High School.

I used to make nitrogen triiodide instead. A lot easier to make, but quite unstable.
Dropped it in small quantities, near the door to the chem lab and when people stepped on it, it would go off with a loud bang and a purple cloud. :lol:

To the OP:
Sorry for the digression.

Mercury is very hazardous. If you can't find where to sell it, please contact your
nearest Hazmat unit to ask about proper disposal.

Back in the 60's in HS we would go into the chemistry room and take the mercury and pour it into our palms and was amazed at how heavy it felt and we'd then put dimes in it and see how shiny it made them. Of course the dimes went back in our pockets. Lots of fun and no one got sick from it.

Years later I'm in the trailer business and the state bought a small enclosed cargo trailer that they were going to go around to all the schools and take their mercury. Don't know how they disposed of it.

The school rooms ceilings were coated in what I assume now was asbestos. It was pretty soft and we'd flip pencils up and see if we could get them to stick in it.

Those were the days.

Back
Top Bottom