Does the PA historical society care about metal detecting on private historical property?

paymehigher

Hi guys,
Has anybody here had any problems hunting historical properties that are privately owned like old houses and such?? I would be asking permission from the owner but do you think I would get into trouble with the historical society ? Anybody have any expirences?

Thanks

Hi guys,
Has anybody here had any problems hunting historical properties that are privately owned like old houses and such?? I would be asking permission from the owner but do you think I would get into trouble with the historical society ? Anybody have any expirences?

Thanks

Where in PA was this?

Screw the historical society. Private is private and they have no say whatsoever.

If you have written permision and the land is privatley owned even though it is a historical site,and land is maintained by land owner , I'd say hunt away.

Surely a "historical society" is a community based organisation and not one of governmental authority? Therefore one would assume they have no official power? That being the case and you've gone through the proper channels I can't see what the problem is! You're not destroying or interfering with the building just searching the surrounding land!

On some historical properties their have been stipulations put in for the owner that they have to live by if they want the property. Sometimes they entail digging or excavating on historic ground is not allowed.Some with the stipulation the property will be returned to its former glory.The purchaser must agree or they dont get the property!! I would check into those before digging as it could turn into a mess for the owner,who I am sure knows if such rules are in place.:shock:

On some historical properties their have been stipulations put in for the owner that they have to live by if they want the property. Sometimes they entail digging or excavating on historic ground is not allowed.Some with the stipulation the property will be returned to its former glory.The purchaser must agree or they dont get the property!! I would check into those before digging as it could turn into a mess for the owner,who I am sure knows if such rules are in place.:shock:

Oh darn it, I knew this was not going to be easy.... I was just going to be hunting at old farm houses.... So should I contact the historical society in my area??

I would just ask the homeowner, usually they just don't want structural damage to the buildings themselves.not once have I ever heard of not being able to dig in a yard, be it for a garden or whatever.

No. Have your conversation with the homeowner/property owner. If you get permission then hunt away. If anyone questions you, then your answer is that you have verbal/written permission from the private owner. That private landowner can be the one to ask you to leave, not someone who doesn't even live there or own the property.

I'm not sure, but I can't see that a small town historical society could hold any power that would trump the private land owner. Perhaps the National Register of Historic Places could hold some power if the item is under their jurisdiction, but I just don't see a small town society being able to boot you.

Oh darn it, I knew this was not going to be easy.... I was just going to be hunting at old farm houses.... So should I contact the historical society in my area??

just get permission from the homeowner/land owner and your good ta go

Don't know what the local historical sites laws, rules, regulations are, but doubt anyone here can give you a clear definitive answer to your question on the national level.

First, there are two types of Historical site.
One is an Historical Place.
The other is an Historical Landmark.

There is over a million properties listed on the National Register, some 80,000 are individually owned. One of the criteria considered in listing is "Information potential," i.e., the property has yielded or may be likely to yield information important to prehistory or history.

Uh-oh! This stuff can land a lot of people in trouble due to the Antiquities Act.

Overall, without knowing the proper designation, what federal authorities are overseeing the preservation, and why the preservation was designated, you 're asking an open ended question. We're all talking grey area.

It's certainly not illegal to ask, but don't make the excuse that you asked on an internet forum and they said it was okay, because the federal government doesn't care what any internet forum proclaims. And that's not going to absolve anybody from running amok of the law.

I understand it sounds a bit paranoid, but try to err on the side of good judgment, "When in doubt, cross it out."

If I checked the national registry and nothing came up then can I hunt it with permission from the owner?

Don't know what the local historical sites laws, rules, regulations are, but boubt anyone here can give you a clear definitive answer to your question on the national level.

First, there are two types of Historical site.
One is an Historical Place.
The other is an Historical Landmark.

There is over a million properties listed on the National Register, some 80,000 are individually owned. One of the criteria considered in listing is "Information potential," i.e., the property has yielded or may be likely to yield information important to prehistory or history.

Uh-oh! This stuff can land a lot of people in trouble due to the Antiquities Act.

Overall, without knowing the proper designation, what federal authorities are overseeing the preservation, and why the preservation was designated, you 're asking an open ended question. We're all talking grey area.

It's certainly not illegal to ask, but don't make the excuse that you asked on an internet forum and they said it was okay, because the federal government doesn't care what any internet forum proclaims. And that's not going to absolve anybody from running amok of the law.

I understand it sounds a bit paranoid, but try to err on the side of good judgment, "When in doubt, cross it out."

If I checked the national registry and nothing came up then can I hunt it with permission from the owner?

Have no idea.

Sort of like asking if you can metal detect on Padre Island. I say sure. Then when you get there, the rangers confiscate your detector. And what do you say, "I was told by some fool on the internet it was okay?"

The consensus is to check with the owners of the property.
That's always a good place to start.

If you're sure it's not on the registry, then I'd defer to the property owner's decision. If owner say's yes, then I'd be out there hunting.

Every piece of property, has a deed or title, which describes the property, the location, the legal owner, but also contains a whole lot of additional legal language, some describing usage, water rights, easements. Rights and restrictions, for what you can and can not do on, or with you property. This is for just any property, I don't know much about commercial property, or historically designated property, but owning the property doesn't entitle you to use it in any fashion you see fit.

The property owner would be held accountable for breaking any deed restrictions, not the hobbyist. Really no benefit to the owner or the hobby, if removing historical artifacts is restricted in his deed or title. Think the answer is different for each property, could be just the outhouse being the significant historical significant piece on the land, or any other building, could be the land itself. Once designated, there is usually grant money available, to help maintain and preserve. The money is basically free for the asking, but there are rules and restrictions. Ignorance, doesn't hold up well in court...

Back
Top Bottom