Need tips on getting permissions

grf1868

I’m always researching places to go or taking note when I see somewhere that looks good and have several pages of places I want to get permission to but many of them the land or homeowner lives far away or even in different states sometimes. Clearly I won’t be knocking on their doors in person but I feel like a phone call is almost a guaranteed no. Anyone have any thoughts on how to go about getting permission when you can’t talk face to face with the land owner? Or should I just go with the phone call and hope for the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts #2 and #12, on this thread, is onsome of my techniques:

metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=280605

Tom, Cant get the link to open

Tom, Cant get the link to open

It's not a link that you can click on, in the form that I've put it there. You have to copy and paste it, and then put it into your browser search bar. Try that.

Strange, I tried that earlier and couldn’t get it to work on safari but just now got it to work with Firefox. Looks like lots of good stuff in the entire post off to do some reading. Thanks Tom

..... Looks like lots of good stuff in the entire post ....

The rest of the thread took off on ancillary topics. But the main gist of how I thought your questioned pointed, was #2 and #12 : Namely, that a good technique to "opening doors", is to become civically involved in your local museums and historical societies.

Be a "fly on the wall" for a year or so. Get to know people . Attend their monthly or quarterly meetings . Pay to join up. Volunteer to sort papers & books, man a desk, etc... (ie.: docent duties).

You don't state your true intentions for a year or more. Till you've gotten to know various persons. Because you want to make sure there's no archaeological purist-types there.

Once you know everyone on a first name basis, and are given your badge (ID'ing you as "museum guide" or whatever), then presto, that works wonders as an ice-breaker, when chatting up people about the history of their site. You're "doing research" (you say as you casually flash your credentials). And then morph that into permission to detect.

I've gotten into some HAIR-RAISING sites, via these credentials. But it took years and years. And it's amazing how this opens up "white glove research files" in other museums, when you get to carry a "letter of introduction", from your museum curator, to get you into someone else's archives, that might otherwise be non-digitized white glove stuff.

yeah yeah, fox guarding the hen-house :friends: And it's actually kind of fun anyhow, to be involved in leading tours, manning a desk, etc.... Get to meet some nice folk.

I see how that can definitely open some doors, I love history especially local history so it wouldn’t be boring or anything to get involved. My question is more aimed at the doors I can’t knock on due to the owner being far away often in completely different states. I’ve tried calling a few when I first started detecting but quickly found out that was a bad idea. But some of these I’ve been looking at I feel like I might as well call since I won’t be running into the landowner anytime soon.

I am fairly new to detecting myself, but I have had success a couple of times through Facebook Messenger. This only really works when the landowner is a sole proprietor type (local business owner, organization, etc.). For example, I was researching an old hotel/resort site and found that the land is owned by a John Doe (name changed for example purposes). Upon Googling John Doe, I found that he owns a local property development business. I sent him a message on his business Facebook page asking for permission and got a "yes." Like you, I have researched several other properties where I cannot easily contact the landowner (the cases where local business Facebook page is not option; i.e. most cases). Still not really sure of the best course of action for these cases. It seems like sending a letter would be the best option if all you have is an address. It would just feel strange, almost stalker-like, to drive across town to someone's house to ask to metal detect the other land they own ("How do you know I own that lot?" etc.). For now, my best approach is to find landowners who have public Facebook pages and ask permission there. Since the other person can see your profile, I think you come off as less of a total stranger. (Sorry for the long-winded reply.)

Thank you Chroma, I didn’t even think of that. I know what you mean by “stalker like” it’s funny how many people don’t realize all their info is online. I think thats part of why phone calls don’t work very well, most people are more concerned about how you got their number than you detecting their property

I am fairly new to detecting myself, but I have had success a couple of times through Facebook Messenger.
I never thought of this idea, but I like it.

While out on a bike ride recently I spotted an old school house out in the country (built in the early 1900s, active until the mid 60s I believe), and used FetchGIS to find out who owns it and where they live. Between work and being out of town on vacation, I have not yet had a chance to stop by the owner’s home. However, yesterday I read your "FaceBook Messenger" advice and decided to see if the owner has a FaceBook page. He does, so I put together a little message explaining who I am, where I live, and that a couple hobbies of mine are bike riding and metal detecting. After explaining what great guy I am, I asked if he would allow me to detect around the school…adding that’d I stop by afterwards and show him everything that I had found. I did say that I'd first stop by the house to introduce myself and talk with him about the place. He said "Sure, go ahead and detect and to feel free to stop by the house”, and that he'd be “happy to talk about the school” (in mentioned in his reply that he actually attended first and second grades there).

I’m admittedly somewhat excited to stop by...it’s great getting to know people who have lived and had family in the area for 2-3 generations. I will add that he owns a great deal more property around the area of the old school house, so my hope is that when I stop by to talk about the school, we can talk about other potentially interesting sites on his properties (old barns, old foundations, etc) and maybe get permission to search some of those places as well. To be honest, I don’t think the old school is going to very productive. Instead, it’s more about making connections and getting to know some of the old timers in the area before they leave us.

I'm glad you have had some success. Bike riding in the country is certainly an interesting way to stumble upon new places to detect!

One method I like to use is to look at old photos and postcards from my local library's digital collection. Once I find a candidate image, I try to mark the location on Google Maps. Sometimes this is easy, and sometimes it requires some "detective work."

To be honest, I don’t think the old school is going to be very productive.

Maybe, but maybe not... You might be surprised! Also, does the landowner have an older house? Maybe he will let you detect it as well.

Local history books are good to find spots also, the small soft cover kind that a towns historical society prints. Mostly
pics with a little story about the pic. Town websites are a good source also especially if you look up the “open space plan” they will have all the recreational public lands listed including owners normally.

I'm glad you have had some success. Bike riding in the country is certainly an interesting way to stumble upon new places to detect!

One method I like to use is to look at old photos and postcards from my local library's digital collection. Once I find a candidate image, I try to mark the location on Google Maps. Sometimes this is easy, and sometimes it requires some "detective work."

Maybe, but maybe not... You might be surprised! Also, does the landowner have an older house? Maybe he will let you detect it as well.
I searched the schoolhouse property a few times with limited success...found both a 1945 nickel and penny. Went back this past weekend after not having been there for a little while and searched an area that I had not put a lot of effort into...and had pretty good luck...I am quite pleased, actually. :) It's funny how much nicer the 121 year old quarter looks compared to the 23 year old one.
I plan on sending these pictures to the landowner as well, and inquiring about maybe some other interesting places on his property where he might allow me to have a go.

Attachments

• Coins 01.jpg
    Coins 01.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Coins 02.jpg
    Coins 02.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Coins 03.jpg
    Coins 03.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Coins 04.jpg
    Coins 04.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 320
("How do you know I own that lot?" etc.).

I have never been asked that question out of all the times I've contacted non-resident property owners by mail, email, or phone. Either the request is so strange it never occurs to them to ask, or they're smart enough to realize their information is out there to be found.

I have had a couple ask--quite seriously--what it was that interested me in their property and whether I had received information that something in particular (treasure!) was buried on the land. After all, most of the public think we're either after treasure boxes, lost rings, or just enough modern pocket change to buy some beer or gas.

I have never been asked that question out of all the times I've contacted non-resident property owners by mail, email, or phone. Either the request is so strange it never occurs to them to ask, or they're smart enough to realize their information is out there to be found.

I have had a couple ask--quite seriously--what it was that interested me in their property and whether I had received information that something in particular (treasure!) was buried on the land. After all, most of the public think we're either after treasure boxes, lost rings, or just enough modern pocket change to buy some beer or gas.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks.

As suggested, messenger is a great way. If you're dealing with someone who doesnt have messenger, mail can be an option. Be personable and friendly with a brief handwritten letter explaining how you love history, were doing some research and found their place and are interested in seeing if you can save some history before it disintegrates.
Including a metal detecting "business card" makes you look more respectable or serious, same as a business card for an actual business creates a certain impression. Or some people use a flyer type letter instead, but the idea is the same - introduce yourself, explain your passion for history and sound respectful/professional. Outside of that, maybe name drop a few nearby properties that you have already hunted. Perhaps your new landowner will know some of those people and be like "well, if this guy is good enough for Mr Smith, he's good enough for me". In that vein, maybe go back and contact those property owners nearby where you've already hunted and ask "I'm trying to reach Mr New Prospect, but I'm having a hard time reaching him. Do you happen to know him? At worst, they don't. Maybe they can tell you where he hangs out. At best, they do and even offer to reach out to the person for you!

Back
Top Bottom