Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 07-30-2021, 09:10 AM

Default 7.5khz coil

I have i just started metal detecting and bought a minelab x terra 705 with a 7.5 khz..
I think the coil faulty because when i touch it on the ground i beeps.i have turned the sensitivey to about 20

Is this ok

thanks Terry

Old 07-30-2021, 02:12 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tezbob: I have i just started metal detecting and bought a minelab x terra 705 with a 7.5 khz (coil).
Glad to hear you are getting a start in a wnderful outdoor sport!

Now for the questions:

1.. What general area do you live? (Just to get an idea of potential ground mineral make-up).

2.. What type of hunting do you plan to do? Urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Beach Hunting, Relic Hunting, Gold Nugget Hunting, etc.?

3.. Why did you buy the Minelab X-Terra 705? What encouraged you to selet it?

4.. Did you plan to get one or two additional search coils? If so, which one(s) and for what intention?

5.. Out of curiosity, what other makes or models did you consider?

Originally Posted by tezbob: I think the coil faulty because when i touch it on the ground i beeps.i have turned the sensitivey to about 20
More questions:

1.. Did you check the ground area first to make sure you are not lowering the search coil over a metal target? That would cause a 'beep.'

2.. Did you first adjust the Ground Balance? Depending upon the mode and other settings, lowering the coil to the ground could also cause a 'beep' if the GB was off, specially too positive.

Originally Posted by tezbob: Is this ok
Lowering the Sensitivity is usually NOT the way to eliminate a 'beep' from a coil-to-ground orientation. It might be if way too sensitivity and the 'beep' is actually move of an 'overload' response, but the general answer would be 'No'.

If you are having such an issue you should:

1st.. Make sure you read the Owner manual, completely, cover-to-cover and understand everything it is explaining.

2nd.. Locate a metal-free area to check and adjust your detector.

3rd.. Adjust a proper slight audio Threshold hum, then select he All Metal mode and adjust the Ground Balance to be as close to 'spot-on' as possible. I do all of this at the highest Sensitivity level with any detector I use, and only reduce the Sensitivity if need to gain stability if there is a lot of EMI.

Then your detector should be operational. If it isn't and the coil seems to 'beep' if you tap it or touch it to the ground, three is a possibility you have a defective search coil.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... or ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Detector Outfit: An assortment of favorite detector makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:16 AM
Supporter

Watch this video if you haven't already.
Make sure your coil connection is tight.
https://youtu.be/5KdkVQFLyTA

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Xterra 705 is imo one of the best machines ever made. The coil sounds like it could be faulty, but try a factory reset. Turn the machine in and donít let up on the power button,just hold it down for a few seconds and the machine will make a series of beeps. Release it after that and itís in default mode,like it was when it left the factory. Iíll bet that may be your problem.Good luck

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Elite Member

Haven't herd any more from 'tezbob' after his one-and-only post. ????

Woodbutcher, we all have opinions and I admire most of yours, but I sure don't agree when it comes to the X-Terra series. Oh, they were / are okay for some applications for a lot of folks, but they fell short at many locations I took them for both evaluation and then day-to-day hunting. That was using an assortment of frequency-based search coils and hunting in some of the nastiest iron plagued locations you could imagine. A lot of side-by-side comparisons with an assortment of makes and models I had left me scratching them from my list of favorite units at most of the tough Relic Hunting sites I worked in several western states. Plus with the initial X-Terra introduction it took them a long time to get a smaller-size 6" coil out for them and that was an issue at the time.

It seems Minelab is content to directs most of their model attention toward SMF d3evices rather than Single-Frequency models.

However, they work, but just not well enough for me, but if aayone enjoys them and are satisfied, then that's a good thing and I wish them all the best.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

... or ...
Detector Outfit: An assortment of favorite detector makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
coil, minelab, xterra 705