Minor Milestone Reached!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Well, it took almost 5 full detecting seasons, but I finally dug my 100th all-time silver coin today!! I was beginning to think the century mark was going to have to wait until next year, because my detecting time has been short lately, permissions non-existent, and cold weather is closing in. But today was uncharacteristically warm, so off I went to a new-to-me park with a couple ball fields that date back at least to the fifties according to aerial photos. I’ve been sitting at 99 total silvers for a couple weeks, and knowing this might be one of my last hunts for the year, I left the house on a mission….I even said to my wife “I’m not coming back until I’ve got a silver coin in my pouch”! Looking back, I’m a little disturbed at how nonchalantly she instantly deadpanned “Ok, sounds good” back at me :lol::lol:

Anyways, about 45 minutes into the hunt I got over a nice, tight, consistent high tone - numbers were a little jumpy thanks to depth and maybe orientation (initially about 24-29 on the EQ800, varying between 4 and 5 “shovels” on the depth meter). After pinpointing with the detector, I gave the target two or three more quick sweeps…still high toning, but I got much higher numbers of 33-36. “Uh-oh…I might be falling for junk”, I thought. Once I opened the plug, I swished with the Propointer (no joy), then swished again using my digger blade to extend the range (still no joy). I picked the detector back up and swung over the hole. What the…?!?! No signal whatsoever. I carefully dug another inch out of the hole - swished…nothing, swung the detector…nothing. I seriously considered abandoning the hole and moving on, but dang, that initial tone sounded too good. I quickly decided to trust the machine and keep digging “blind”.

About 7” down, the Propointer finally started to chirp against the sidewall - not a good sign…on the Equinox, coupled with the jumpy numbers into the mid-thirties, digging sideways is usually a sure sign of junk. I swung the detector one more time, and this time the signal was back…tight 27-28. A little more careful digging, and I dumped a shiny round coin onto the top of my pile from 8” or so down! Best I can figure, maybe the coin was oriented edge on or nearly so, which caused all the odd signals and second guessing.

Anyway, nothing earth-shattering for #100 all-time, but it turned out to be a nice 1941 Merc! Pics show the coin just out of the hole on the dirt pile, in hand, after a “field spritzer”, and finally fully washed at home. Only other notable finds for the hunt are ‘41 and ‘44 Wheats, an old pocket knife at 9”, a heart hair clip from 7” down, and $1.88 in clad. Not a bad hunt from a park!

Attachments

• 24D2CB30-619E-4FBF-8B4C-4A30C2AB0AC9.jpg
    24D2CB30-619E-4FBF-8B4C-4A30C2AB0AC9.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 386
  • F460948B-30FD-4DC1-82AF-22B374F94C77.jpg
    F460948B-30FD-4DC1-82AF-22B374F94C77.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 377
  • 0D0D12BB-A425-428C-BEA0-8FBB7D6AB608.jpg
    0D0D12BB-A425-428C-BEA0-8FBB7D6AB608.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 379
  • 582EEDEA-E844-47A0-8D6B-D4C9CD223B05.jpg
    582EEDEA-E844-47A0-8D6B-D4C9CD223B05.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 85495DE9-77D2-40A4-8F6A-06C1EE58A253.jpg
    85495DE9-77D2-40A4-8F6A-06C1EE58A253.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 594F2ACE-35DB-48BB-A307-C34DB85C2DB8.jpg
    594F2ACE-35DB-48BB-A307-C34DB85C2DB8.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 396
  • 2208B077-6941-4252-B2ED-A808DE3C24A9.jpg
    2208B077-6941-4252-B2ED-A808DE3C24A9.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 383
CONGRATULATIONS on your 100th silver. You had a great hunt there. That knife is really cool too.

Doug

Congrats on # 100 Ben, and way to go sticking with it, payed off. The scenario you describe I know too well. And in most instances it doesn't end well, at least for me. Those disappearing signals are head scratchers, seems like it occurs when you disturb the soil but only once in a while. Anyway you got the job done and was able to return home with head held high. Again congrats. Mark

CONGRATULATIONS on your 100th silver. You had a great hunt there. That knife is really cool too.

Doug

Thanks, Doug! I agree, the pocketknife was a fun dig - I love when those kinds of personal items come out of a hole.

Beautiful coin and congrats on your milestone! Like the wheats too.

Thanks, GS! Yep, I’m still haven’t gotten jaded on Wheats - I know some folks get tired of them after awhile, but I enjoy finding them and still keep track of all my Wheats. Heck, I still take the time to clean my earlier Wheats by hand! In fact, I found my 500th Wheat a month or so ago and meant to make a post about it, but it happened while I was slammed at work, and I never got a chance to take a breath and make a timely post. Darn work getting in the way of hobbies :lol:

Congrats!

Thanks TS!

Sure looks pretty against that black textured background!

Thanks John! That’s the back side of my iPad case…I used it in a pinch for a photo background a little while back, and liked it so well that it’s become my “go to” background :cool3:

Congrats on #100. Never give up on digging those disappearing signals.

Thanks FL Tab! I definitely try not to give up on the Houdini signals…but, man, it’s unnerving to keep digging blind in a park setting! I was starting to feel more and more conspicuous as my dirt pile grew :D I was certainly glad once the pinpointer finally sounded off and the signal returned once a little more dirt got moved around.

Congrats and nice looking Merc!

Thanks, MM! I really love the design on the Mercs…almost no such thing as an ugly one!

Congrats on # 100 Ben, and way to go sticking with it, payed off. The scenario you describe I know too well. And in most instances it doesn't end well, at least for me. Those disappearing signals are head scratchers, seems like it occurs when you disturb the soil but only once in a while. Anyway you got the job done and was able to return home with head held high. Again congrats. Mark

Thanks Mark! Yeah, the Houdini signals show up occasionally, but for me, I can usually identify a reason for the disappearance - pinpoint a little off center, then flip the plug in a way that it covers the target, essentially adding depth, for example. Add in an unusual orientation for the coin, especially if it gets moved, and I can see the signal ghosting out. But like you say, every now and then it’s a genuine head scratcher…almost like the loose, disturbed soil somehow masks the signal until it gets cleared away. I remember it happening a few times with the AT Max that I owned, too.

Excellent, I'm only about 80 or so behind you. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the perspective, chill! I’m always amazed by guys who get out enough and/or are fortunate with enough great locations that they’re pulling up a hundred or more silvers a year. Sometimes I forget that the 20 or so silvers a year that I’ve been averaging really isn’t too shabby either :cool3: You’ll get’em…it’s just a matter of time!

Congrats Airman, 100 seems to get harder and harder to achieve on this forum:roll:. It has been over 7 years since I hit the 3 digit mark in silver.....this year like most years I "hang" @ 85, 89, 94, or whatever "close" number...never getting over the hump. I think I am sitting at 91 this year and with only about 1 or 2 more hunts possible (with work, travel, the holidays), I am pretty sure I will miss again....

Congratulations again!!! HH and GL!

Good job on your 100th silver!
It took me almost as long also. I'm not a door knocker and very few public places to hunt here. It's a wonder I find as much as I do. I'm running below my average for the year, but have had a pretty good year in many respects when it comes to detecting.

That is a big accomplishment congratulations! You have me beat by 23. And I have been dedicated for 6 years. Once again great job!!!!

Congrats! on hitting the century mark. Definitely something to be proud of!

Thanks mp! It’s been fun getting to 100…many, many cool non-silver finds along the way, too!

Congrats Airman, 100 seems to get harder and harder to achieve on this forum:roll:. It has been over 7 years since I hit the 3 digit mark in silver.....this year like most years I "hang" @ 85, 89, 94, or whatever "close" number...never getting over the hump. I think I am sitting at 91 this year and with only about 1 or 2 more hunts possible (with work, travel, the holidays), I am pretty sure I will miss again....

Congratulations again!!! HH and GL!

Thanks Buellride! But less congrats are in order than you’re thinking…it’s my 100th all-time across my 5 years of detecting, not this year alone. You’re one of the guys that I’m in awe of…getting close to and over 100 silvers in a single year/detecting season is simply amazing to me! I’d have to get out far more than I currently can, and/or start getting better quality locations again.

Back
Top Bottom