do drowsing road really work?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
over on another forum a few member swear by drowsing rod.

Has anyone ever tested these people and their rods to see if they really work?

Sounds like a flim flam to me.

Hey, Maxx. Did you misspell that, or is that the term you know it by?
Around Iowa, we know it by "dowsing", or "dowsing rods"

Redwaller; Do a Youtube search for videos. It seems unbelievable, but they do work.

Roger

Let's see...
A dowsing rod would be a metal rod or stick used to find water, many folks say they work but then again in most spots if you dig deep enough you WILL find water...
A DROWSING rod on the other hand would be something to make me drowsy? I suppose a 1 inch rod, say a foot long, filled with my favorite tequila would make me drowsy, so yes, I would say they would also work as advertised!

Two separate issues:

1.) Dowsing for water

If you dig deep enough, you will likely find water. Without digging up the entire property, it's kind of hard to see if you "dowsed" the optimum location. I have yet to see a successful "double blind" test of dowsing abilities.

2.) Dowsing for treasure

Those are strictly for reducing the wallet load of suckers.

3.) Dowsing for explosives

The company that was marketing their explosive detectors to antiterrorist government agencies was charged with fraud, as far as I recall.

If you are looking for gold, I would start with studying geologic maps (with your eyes and brain, not dowsing rods).

-- Tom

Still have yet to see proper double blind tests, nor have any of those people on that forum. All those guys over there have also not showed any treasures found by dowsing. Best Claims they have is they dowsed a spot then searched the immediate area with a detector and found a coin or something. So in my mind no it does not work

The only experience I have is locating buried telecom cables with two L shaped pieces of copper wire.

I spent some time reading about it on that other forum and the most important thing I learned was don't ask people that believe in them for proof.

Two separate issues:

1.) Dowsing for water

If you dig deep enough, you will likely find water. Without digging up the entire property, it's kind of hard to see if you "dowsed" the optimum location. I have yet to see a successful "double blind" test of dowsing abilities.

2.) Dowsing for treasure

Those are strictly for reducing the wallet load of suckers.

3.) Dowsing for explosives

The company that was marketing their explosive detectors to antiterrorist government agencies was charged with fraud, as far as I recall.

If you are looking for gold, I would start with studying geologic maps (with your eyes and brain, not dowsing rods).

-- Tom

:dingding::thumbsup::goodpost: WTG, Tom!

I have personally seen a dowsing rod work to find our septic tank, and the line out of the house.

With DCKJohn as my witness, I found a silver walker half with a pair of coat hangers. In an open field roughly an 1/8 mile from the nearest buildings.

Dowsing Rod

They were using those rods looking for water on my land and sure enough they found it 75 feet down, really, if you go deep enough!!!

Less than a month ago I Dow’s to find my gas line for the water company. You can find old trenches easily no matter what’s put in the trench. We used this method in our construction business all the time.

They don't work. What is missing from the so called "evidence" and videos is all the false positives and negatives.

If you live in SE PA, I'll find a field, flag off a 100 meter square, and go hide a Morgan silver dollar in the square. You will convince me if you can find it with less than 10 false positives.

Or show me a link to genuine science (using the Scientific Method and controlled experiment methodology) from a genuine organization (not just some dude with a camera) that establishes that they work, to my satisfaction, and the Morgan is yours.

As for water, the water table is where the water table is, so dig anywhere on a piece of property with a water table below it, and you will hit water.

I used to laugh at the idea myself until I saw it in action There is little I can say now that can explain what I witnessed.

We had bought a house in a small community of Monument Colorado, just outside Colorado Springs, and our sewer backed up. We called a plumber who asked where our septic tank was. Being new property we had no idea. He said no problem, and got a long stainless steele rod with a T handle out of his truck. He started walking along the back of the house until the rod fell to one side. He marked the ground and said your septic tank is here.

He then ask about where it exited the house. Again, we had no idea. He walked along the back of the house until the rod fell to the side. He marked the spot and said it comes out here. He acted as there was no doubt in his mind. A truck shows up with a backhoe and starts digging where he marked the septic tank. At about 4' he hit what looked like railroad ties, and the tank was right there.

Now either this guy was one heck of a con, or, the dowsing rods did in fact work.

I guess I'm curious, as to how they're supposed to work. That is, ignoring the argument about whether or not they actually do anything, what's the theory behind it? Is there even one?

Edit: Looked it up myself. The commonly accepted scientific explanation for why dowsing rods do seem to work, is that they amplify unconscious muscle movements; you make them do everything they do, even if it seems like you weren't controlling them. The muscle movements themselves can be the result of sensory cues, shifts in your emotions, or just nothing at all. Dowsing has apparently failed every properly scientific test ever conducted about it. I can't seem to find anything about why people who believe in it, think it works, at least, none better than claiming it's actually magic. Some dowsers do apparently agree that it's themselves moving the rods, but that somehow they're unconsciously sensing changes in the landscape or something?, which sounds pretty unlikely to me anyway. Here I was hoping for some star trek nonsense about subtle changes in extremely weak magnetic fields in the ground or something, but it seems no one who believes in dowsing has really put much thought into it.

Last edited:
As a general set of rules:

Septic tanks are located at the back of the house, same side the toilets are on.

Septic tanks are not too far away from the house, as a relatively large leaching field is also required.

You can usually see the septic vent pipe in the roof, not far from the exterior wall. The tank will be located a few feet from that spot, at 90 degrees from the exterior wall.

A metal detector can be used to find the exact location of the septic tank, specially if it has a metal lid.

If the tank doesn't have a metal lid, then run a plumber's snake down the toilet and follow the metal snake with your detector. It will lead you to the tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom