Help needed: Garrett ACE Apex repair attempt after water damage

Mojo84

Hi my friends and fellow treasure hunters :)

A few weeks ago I got my hands on a defective Garrett ACE Apex detector.

Sadly that Apex got drowned and well had a bad water damage :/ the preowner didn't remove/disconnected the internal battery from the Apex and the Z-lynk headphones and just let it sit and "rott" for weeks/months :(

Well there was a lot of crusty gunk and a few rotten connections on the Mainboard of the Apex and the z-lynk headphones board. I did clean everything as good as possible and rewired and resoldered some bad and missing connections: now the detector turns on again, charging works - even the wireless headphone connection to the z-lynk headphones is stable.

The LCD ribbon cable had only one bad trace/connector (backlight) that got an extra wire soldered and then secured in place with hot glue.

But I still have some issues:
some of the surface mounted parts are getting very hot after a few moments/minutes after turning on the machine (photo with the marked area - and especially that small black chip; is that an diode?) and there is no detection activity at all when I connect the MF DD "Raider Coil" but sometimes some kind of "ghost detections signals" appear...

Is there any chance of getting schematics of the Apex Mainboard or is there someone here in the groups who has more knowledge?

My next attempt is replacing the 10uF 50V SMD cap in the marked area, removing the coil connector and check underneath and last step is putting everything in a ultrasonic bath ;)

The alternative for me would be, to buy or trade me a spare Garrett ACE Apex replacement mainboard and just swap it out. If someone has a spare / replacement board and would sell/trade it - I just need the Mainboard, no Display, no battery, no case/housing etc...

My location is: 38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany

Thanks already,
Marcus :D

Attachments

• before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 676
  • before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 649
  • before_back1.jpg
    before_back1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 643
  • after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 617
  • hot_parts1.jpg
    hot_parts1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 623
I would contact Garrett and ask them, just tell them you are trying to save a basket case what you've done and what its doing.. bet they would help you out.

Mhh worth a try I guess :) sadly the German support company couldn't help me, they just said there is no simple replacement board, just the complete detector :/

Wish me luck :D

Just a quick update on this topic:

I had some great conversations with the USA Garrett Metal Detector support. Sadly they can't really help me out due my location overhere in Germany and their strict service & repair rules.

That's ok for me and after some nice talking/chatting with them it's really understandable and ok.

The only downside for me is the lack of "good" or better let's say "flexible" support from the German Service/Support departments - their only available option for me is not an repair, only a full swap of the electronics housing including the LCD for around 400/500€ :/

Anyway....luckily I found a metal detector reseller in france and finally my brand new electronics housing incl. LCD for just 230€ (~ $260) landed a few days right on my desk :)

Now I have 2 options: keeping the still faulty electronics/lcd as spare or selling/trading that piece for a fair price.

Attachments

• 16369286648740.jpg
    16369286648740.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 457
  • 16369286650193.jpg
    16369286650193.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 16369286649161.jpg
    16369286649161.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 16369286649592.jpg
    16369286649592.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
So Garrett's legendary warranty repair service means nothing outside the USA's borders.

Huh, TIL...

Back
Top Bottom