• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

DS Pack Mule pouch thoughts.

Chris,
Any issues or things that you wish were added or different? I have the ability to manufacture items similar to this and before I made one for myself, I thought I would see if improvements were needed.
Thanks

I have been using the smaller park ranger version and really like it. It’s also held up well and still looks like new since getting it for Christmas last year.

I have both the pack mule and the park ranger. Great pouches and made to last. My mule is about 6 years old now with a few hundred hunts of use and abuse. Not even one stitch has come apart in that time.

I’m using the relic elite by omega mill I like it had just about a full year now. The clip did break early on but I replaced with a stronger one for 4 bucks.

The Digger Supply Pack Mule is a quality pouch. I've been using one for about 14 months. The only changes I would make are to the belt loops and the drain grommets on the main pouch.

In my opinion, the belt loops should be made of a heavier material. The ones on mine are showing signs of wear. I don't think they would be difficult to replace if/when required.

The drain grommet issue is probably more of a personal preference. I don't use this pouch in the water, so I don't need to have a continuous drain. I find it frustrating to have dirt and sand spilling out when placing the pouch in my vehicle. Luckily, the grommets are easily sealed with hot glue, which has solved the problem for me.

Have used a pack mule for about a year and a half. Great pouch, sturdy well built. Most likely the last pouch I will need to buy. If I had one thing to change I would put a stiffener in the outer rim of the main pouch. It tends to collapse to the inside when you go to put something in it. One day if I ever get around to it I intend to try and modify it. My two cents. Mark

The Pack Mule is great. I was worried it might be a bit too big, but I find the size to be perfect. I used the Garrett Camo pouch prior, so it was quite an upgrade.

I've had the same experience fullbattery mentions about the drain holes. The dirt works its way out slowly, so it ends up leaving random dirt here and there if you don't empty it out completely.

The Pack Mule is great. I was worried it might be a bit too big, but I find the size to be perfect. I used the Garrett Camo pouch prior, so it was quite an upgrade.

I've had the same experience fullbattery mentions about the drain holes. The dirt works its way out slowly, so it ends up leaving random dirt here and there if you don't empty it out completely.

Perfect, thanks.

Chris,
Any issues or things that you wish were added or different? I have the ability to manufacture items similar to this and before I made one for myself, I thought I would see if improvements were needed.
Thanks

I've been thinking about the ideal detecting pouch for dirt hunting.
First, it has to be heavy duty, but not too heavy.
I would prefer one that sits well on a thick and wide (like 2") web belt. Not one that has a belt sewn onto it already. One wide belt sleeve might be better than the 2 loops like the pack mule.
I also prefer a good mesh bottom instead of solid or grommeted. Super tough mesh. No wimpy stuff. 6 to 10 mesh sounds about right.
Next, I'd like to see it have a slim, separate coin/jewelry pouch that also has a mesh bottom, and lifts out separately for the end-of-hunt pouch dump. This smaller inner pouch should be able to clip inside the bigger trash pouch toward the front or the rear, so it can be custom for left or right side use and personal preference. Not too big of an opening, though. Big enough to easily drop coins in without looking, but still leave a lot of room for the trash pouch opening.
Stiffener rims too...as mentioned, so neither pouch collapses.
Digger and pinpointer sheaths are not important to me, as I can put these on my belt separately if I want. These may be preferred by others, though.
A water bottle pouch on the side would be nice.
No zippers or Velcro.
One utility pocket for a small squirt-cleaning bottle and brush, etc. I think this pocket should be on the outside, but with an easy access flap or something to keep the contents from easily falling out. No zipper.
Basic black or other low-key earthy tones, camo, etc.
I will mention(FYI)that it is not important to avoid any metal parts in construction, as it will be filled with metal targets anyway.
Simple, tough, and functional with ease. Haven't seen one like this yet.

I would REALL, REALLY, REALLY like someone to line the built-in digger slot with kydex. The serrated edges on my hand digger tears up most pouches in no time. I dont like wearing an extra sheath on my belt just for the digger. Ive actually inserted and attached my Digmaster sheath into my current pouch's digger slot since no one makes one that way.

I have and use both the Park Ranger and Pack Mule. I really wouldn't change anything. I will say the difference between the two is very minimal.

Back
Top Bottom