Odd Civil War bullet

Barneymartin3

Here is a odd bullet I found metal detecting at a civil war site. The bullet was found in an area where several 3 ringers were found. It is a fired bullet with only one recessed ring, a visible seam, and a "bow tie" style base. The measurements are as follows: Length = .893 and Diameter = .504

I have searched several Civil war bullet sites and cannot find an identical match. I have found bullets with the "bow tie" base before but not any with just one ring. I'm guessing it maybe a type of .52 caliber bullet but not sure. Union or Confederate?

Attachments

• BULLET ONE RING.jpg
    BULLET ONE RING.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 310
That is a nice bullet but I’m not sure what kind it is. I’ll have to dig out my civil war bullet book.

Just guessing, but probably a kind of cleaner bullet that was clipped off on the bottom. That "bow tie" looks like the pinch you get when you use wire cutters on thick solid wire.

It’s most likely a .50 caliber Smith Carbine which is a solid based bulllet.

A little deformed from being fired but it physically similar of the Smith’’s lower one-ring pattern. The line that’s referenced on the base of the projectile is where the lead spruce was cut off after being manufactured; a common process,

Back
Top Bottom