Incredible 14K diamond solitaire

StevePcola

Forum Supporter
I was off on Monday, so I went beeping at a local sports complex. The one that, in my mental narratives, I've been "talking" bad about for months. I've never found a ring here, although I've pulled over 25 rings from another complex ~5 miles down the road. I've found coins and plenty of trash, though.

I've had some of the walkers who lap the place confuse me with some other guy with a metal detector, so I know that there is another beeping dude around.

I had finished scanning the area outside of the left field fence, came around the corner post and began sweeping the outside of the outfield fence. I was digging so much aluminum fence wire that I was wondering if I should start saving it to scrap. Probably not.

I got about 10 yards down the fence line and got a fairly typical fence wire signal, but a bit tighter in the jumps...64-65 on the AT Max. I've read that some (a lot?) of people swing from different angles. I don't do that...if I get a tone, I dig it.

So I plunge my shovel into the dirt and pop a plug. Out pops this:

ring in dirt.jpg

Thought it was a bling ring, because the proportions are just bizarre. I stuck in my "keep" section of my pouch and kept beeping. About 30 minutes later, it was nagging me...I had to get back to my truck and check it out.

I took a break, got a brush, and got most of the dirt off. Here is the non-sonic cleaner view from the dash of my Tahoe:

ring on dash.jpg

Marked 14K and the diamond is at least 1.5 carats and tests genuine.

That is my largest single diamond to date. About 3-4 months after I started this hobby, I was beeping a fence at a soccer field and popped this monster from about 5 inches, two inches away from the fence:

Ring9--gold2--diamond1.jpg

Also marked 14K, and all of the diamonds test genuine. There is a central diamond, all of the "sun ray" baguettes are diamonds, then there are 24 small diamonds in the square around the central field.

I shared the solitaire in a few other threads, but thought I'd repost here...because I'm amazed that--not only could somebody lose something like that, but that I found it.

That solitaire was ring #48 for me since I started in April 2018. Gold ring #8, and diamond ring #6.

I'd take that one to the jeweler and see what he/she thinks about that diamond and what it's worth. Congrats on a super nice find!!:yes:

That first gold really is dis-proportioned. Like a fake kids ring. amazing finds and that diamond is huge!

MONSTERS! :wow2: Great write up about the hunts too, tight to the chain link! Thats Great work there Steve! ...Both BIG DOLLAR dirt gold finds and well worthy of EyePopping!

That chain link will hide some treasures from all but the most diligent and skilled with a rig as you have shown...!:cheers3:

That solitaire was ring #48 for me since I started in April 2018. Gold ring #8, and diamond ring #6.

Astonishing find! Those are some astonishing success numbers there, too! Even if you are in FL. We all dream of pulling up a giant showpiece like those. Good to be reminded they are still out there...hiding.

they are both fake, just send to me and I will dispose of them properly

Awesome finds!!! I agree with taking them to the jeweler

Hey, thanks, everybody! Just got back from a morning hunt at the same sports complex. Found a junk ring, but no matching engagement ring to the wedding band. :)

I would pay a gemologist to do a written appraisal on those two rings. In July 2018 I found two diamond rings at the beach one on Saturday and the other on the following Monday. I had a jeweler look at them and she said they were real but the owner (certified gemologist) would have to appraise them. I paid a total of 80 bucks to get them appraised The appraisal for the smaller was $2800. and I sold it for $1400. Without the appraisal I would not have known the value of the rings The appraisal is what sold the ring.

Wow...both those rings are spectacular, especially the one with that 1.5ct diamond!

Btw, you seem to know a fair bit about diamonds and what they're called, pretty cool thing to know IMO (especially being in this hobby)

Wow...both those rings are spectacular, especially the one with that 1.5ct diamond!

Btw, you seem to know a fair bit about diamonds and what they're called, pretty cool thing to know IMO (especially being in this hobby)

I don't know much about jewelry at all. Shortly after I found my first gold and diamond ring, I bought very accurate digital scales, a digital caliper, a diamond tester, and the stone and solutions to test gold and silver. After that, Google and YouTube are my friend. I like knowing what I have found. Aside from plain melt value, though, the value of diamonds is impossible to determine...the price you pay is nothing like the price that you can sell it for. :?:

I would pay a gemologist to do a written appraisal on those two rings. In July 2018 I found two diamond rings at the beach one on Saturday and the other on the following Monday. I had a jeweler look at them and she said they were real but the owner (certified gemologist) would have to appraise them. I paid a total of 80 bucks to get them appraised The appraisal for the smaller was $2800. and I sold it for $1400. Without the appraisal I would not have known the value of the rings The appraisal is what sold the ring.

I will definitely get them appraised at some point, George. I have no plans to sell anything, but I would like to know the value. It's the only way to "keep score"! And I will eventually make it to one of the beaches...with my finds so far, I haven't had a reason to make the 30 minute trip down there. Probably as much--if not more--trash at the beach as there is at a baseball or soccer field.

MONSTERS! :wow2: Great write up about the hunts too, tight to the chain link! Thats Great work there Steve! ...Both BIG DOLLAR dirt gold finds and well worthy of EyePopping!

That chain link will hide some treasures from all but the most diligent and skilled with a rig as you have shown...!:cheers3:

Mud is right as it did take a lot of skill to work around the chain link. Congratulations and hope there are many more to come.

Back
Top Bottom