Pulled & dropped civil war bullets

Digger70pa

Forum Supporter
We went digging at my Confederate retreat from Gettysburg camp today. I talked to the farmer today he said that a couple of crates of bullets came out just down the hill from whare we are finding these. I hope the old timers didn't get them all. I read that the Confederates dumped whole waggons of supplies off the side of the road on there way back to VA. I'm going to to do some ground pounding to see if I cant find some of those spots. The camp we are in now is by a old road bed that's no longer in public use. Any how enjoy the pics.:grin:

Attachments

• Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 001.jpg
    Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 001.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 002.jpg
    Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 002.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 003.jpg
    Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 003.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 004.jpg
    Lee's retreat pain bullet camp 004.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Great finds once again man. I'm making that my goal this year to find one civil war bullet. Researching and trying to find a site I can detect is very hard. You must have excellent research tools and skills to find all the sites you have. Thanks for posting all your awsome finds. I had asked in another thread of yours about pulled bullets and why they did it. From my research and im far from an expert it seems they were pulled because they were stuck in the barrel. Either they went to shoot it and it stuck or when they were ramming it in it jammed. Keep digging all that great history.

I focus on the Gettysburg campaign. I have a copy of the OR's for it. It takes a lot of time & leg work to find these spots. Im always looking for new places. I also had friends that have helped me with places to hunt.

Those are nice finds. I'm getting more and more interested in the civil war the more I read about it. There were a couple of battles right here in the county I live. I would love to be able to find some bullets or a belt plate from back then.

Great finds - love the history of the days after Gettysburg. Rainy, muddy, lots of reasons for bullets to be wormed out.

Hope you find the crate.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom