Rare Linder Civil War Bullet found with F2

WVDirtfisher

It has been too cold to detect, so I figured that I could do some research on some relics. Come to find out I have found a rather rare bullet. Thanks for lookin!! Bullets in photo are from my collection. Information from Antique Arms Inc.
7th West Virginia came right through were I have been diggin!

Even better, we even know the two units to receive all the 1st Model Lindners with 391 going to the 1st Michigan Cavalry in Nov. 1861 followed by an additional 501 going to the New York Arsenal in Jan. 1863. By Spring, this group of 1st Models had been transferred to the Wheeling, West Virgina Ordnance depot. Many Lindners in this second group were issued to the 8th West Virginia Mounted Infantry in June 1863 which later became the 7th West Virginia Cavalry in Jan. 1864. The 8th saw their first action with the Lindner Carbine on August 26-27 1863 in a skirmish against Confederate Forces near Whilte Sulphur Springs, West Virgina where it suffered 2 killed, 16 wounded, and 3 missing. On September 30, 1863, the 8th West Virginia Mounted Infantry reported the following numbers of Lindners in the field per Company:

Co. A 49

Co. D 41

Co. G 42

Co. H 49

Co. I 41

Co. K 36

In storage 39

Total 297 Lindners

The 8th was involved in another engagement on Droop Mountain in Nov. 1863. After becoming the 7th WV Cavalry, an inventory taken the following year of all Union Cavalry regiements was performed during the summer and fall of 1864. It shows the 8th...now the 7th Cavalry with over 80 Burnsides and only 41 Lindner Carbines remaining in use. It appears that most Lindner's did not stay in the field for very long during the war.

Attachments

• linderbullet.jpg
    linderbullet.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 997
so what makes a Lindner vs a regular lead bullet?

Linder come from the name Edward Linder, the builder of the 58 Caliber breach loading carbine. Carbines were the gun to have considering the speed in which to load and shoot! Other than that, Not very many were made. Thus making it a rare bullet.

Linder come from the name Edward Linder, the builder of the 58 Caliber breach loading carbine. Carbines were the gun to have considering the speed in which to load and shoot! Other than that, Not very many were made. Thus making it a rare bullet.

I understand why its called that, my question is:

How can I tell the difference between a Lindner and other CW bullets?

weight? the number of rings around it? the size, the smell? the feeling? the length?

if you had a Lindner and 5 other SW bullets all together, how could you tell the difference.

I understand why its called that, my question is:

weight? the number of rings around it? the size, the smell? the feeling? the length?

if you had a Lindner and 5 other SW bullets all together, how could you tell the difference.

I wonder if he knows. :lol:

It's the full description like anything else. The number of grooves, diameter and length, weight, caliber, and the base.

Here are the details:

LINDNER CARBINE

DIA: .575
LGTH: .92
WGT: 511
CAL: .577
3 GREASE GROOVES
(AS OPPOSED TO 'RINGS' WHICH ARE RIDGES AND USED ON MANY CW BULLETS) BOTH ARE TYPICALLY CALLED 'RINGS' BUT FOR ID PURPOSES YOU SHOULD NOTE THE DIFF.
SOLID BASE
USA

(INFO AND PIC FROM TICE, PAGE 30)

Though it's hard to see on the OP's examples, the botton groove is deeper and wider giving it the appearance of having a sort of fishtail look. The deeper bottom groove was used instead of the cavity to facilitate expansion of the lead when fired, thus engaging the rifling just like any other bullet, without giving up the weight using a cavity would, for maximum kenetic energy. The 511 grain weight was much higher than the 350-420 on most other 'cavity' bullets of it's caliber.

FYI: 1 gram = 15.4324 grains or 1 grain equals 64.8 milligrams, for you non bullet guys. The Lindner was a heavy, deadly son-of-a-gun.

005-e1329242445584.jpg

It's the full description like anything else. The number of grooves, diameter and length, weight, caliber, and the base.

Here are the details:

LINDNER CARBINE

DIA: .575
LGTH: .92
WGT: 511
CAL: .577
3 GREASE GROOVES
(AS OPPOSED TO 'RINGS' WHICH ARE RIDGES AND USED ON MANY CW BULLETS) BOTH ARE TYPICALLY CALLED 'RINGS' BUT FOR ID PURPOSES YOU SHOULD NOTE THE DIFF.
SOLID BASE
USA

(INFO AND PIC FROM TICE, PAGE 30)

Though it's hard to see on the OP's examples, the botton groove is deeper and wider giving it the appearance of having a sort of fishtail look. The deeper bottom groove was used instead of the cavity to facilitate expansion of the lead when fired, thus engaging the rifling just like any other bullet, without giving up the weight using a cavity would, for maximum kenetic energy. The 511 grain weight was much higher than the 350-420 on most other 'cavity' bullets of it's caliber.

FYI: 1 gram = 15.4324 grains or 1 grain equals 64.8 milligrams, for you non bullet guys. The Lindner was a heavy, deadly son-of-a-gun.

005-e1329242445584.jpg

Awesome details. that was what I was interested in. Not that I will probably ever find something like that. now I know i can come back to this site for data about the lindner!!

Back
Top Bottom