Based On Your Experience, What’s Your #1 Tip?

I haven't gone through and read all of these, but the first thing that came to my mind is your attitude. Not getting angry when you chase a good signal and come up with a nail or other junk. Just shrug it off, laugh and keep swinging.

NebTrac

Yep. The excitement of a good signal should keep you going. It may not always pay off, but its fun when it really happens. Pay your digging dues and good things will be the result.

Always thank your wife for letting you hunt all day instead of doing the honey do list. And never leave dirt in the sink.

My #1 tip...slow down! I have seen some surface objects and noticed that when I swing my normal speed, my AT Pro doesn't even make a noise. If I slow my swing down, the AT beeps. God only knows how much I have missed by swinging too fast! (BTW, I use the STANDARD mode because I like it better than PRO mode. Not sure what the difference is in response time vs swing speed in each mode).

JC

Say Gorgar, care to tell us about your getting lost :)

This thread is one ofthe best I have read on the net. Lots of good advice from experienced diggers. Thanks for posting, Steve in so az

That easy... it's all about the sites. You can't find what's not there and a good site increases your chances drastically.

Before you ever buy your detector, print off an online copy of its manual and know it upside down and inside out before your detector ever arrives. Also before hand read all the various forum posts and reviews that have anything to do with your detector and print off anything important and learn it! If there is a book out there on your particular detector, buy and study it. Finally once the detector has arrived, take your manual and go over your detector point by point until you have good idea of how each of its basic functions work. Do the above and you will able to hit the payment running when going out with your new detector for the first time.

Enjoy the hobby and don't worry about how much something is worth or your silver count. You can always cash in your clad and buy some silver.

Why pennies!?

Check the empty hole and again after you fill it. Be extra careful overlapping swings and cross checking the area around finds.
:wow:

Good point; check it again and again until you know it's clean. Yesterday I located the target and dug - found a penny hanging onto the bottom of my plug. Then I checked the hole again with my ProPointer which zeroed in on another target, same hole - it was another penny. So, I checked the hole a third time and the ProPointer hit on yet another target - it was a third penny, all three in the same hole without extra digging. The fourth sweep with the ProPointer let me know there was nothing else there and I was cleared to replace my plug.

Looks like at least one of those targets could have been a quarter or a dime, wonder why most of the coins lost are pennies!?

If going into the woods, make sure you always pack a lighter, bottle of water, knife, poncho and a high protein food.

When out alone every minute or so just look up and do a 360 look. I love headphones, but when I am alone in the woods I don't use them. I have been walked up on to many times now by wildlife and humanlife.

Before going out in the woods, always take note of distinct landmarks and make sure someone knows where you are and when to expect you back.

Back
Top Bottom