Two firsts for me

Jonesey89

Just for fun, my wife and I got a mixed lot of rolls at the bank today. Now mind you, I'm fairly new to CRH but I have never gotten an "ender" in any roll thus far. The first roll I picked up had this beaut staring back at me. It's also my first San Francisco mint war nickel. I know it's not very exciting to some, but it definitely made my day! Halves are scarce around here and the ones you come across are already searched. So for the time being, I'll keep searching the small denominations and drooling over you all's walkers, franklins, 64 kennedys, and 40 percenters! Keep em coming please, because I love seeing them!

Attachments

• received_1639741769451328.jpg
    received_1639741769451328.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 132
Welcome to the [addictive] hobby and congrats on your Silver ender! :woot:

I'm like you and hunt mostly smaller denominations. I've only found Wheaties & Canadians on the end, but, in January, I found a 1943-S (same as yours) in the middle of a roll. :D

Thank you all! I do believe the nickels are underrated. I'm just shy of 30 and nobody I talk to in my age group knows about the war nickels. Even at one of my banks, the teller I usually deal with had no idea and she's at least in her mid fifties, and is a collector herself. I do like pennies too though, just because it keeps it exciting for my family. Plus our collection is kind of light on wheat cents, most of them are crusted ones I've found in the ground. Time to diversify! Haha I probably drive my poor wife crazy :)

Thank you all! I do believe the nickels are underrated. I'm just shy of 30 and nobody I talk to in my age group knows about the war nickels. Even at one of my banks, the teller I usually deal with had no idea and she's at least in her mid fifties, and is a collector herself. I do like pennies too though, just because it keeps it exciting for my family. Plus our collection is kind of light on wheat cents, most of them are crusted ones I've found in the ground. Time to diversify! Haha I probably drive my poor wife crazy :)
Doh! Don't tell the tellers...unless you want the well to dry up.

Roll hunting since '77

Last edited:
That's a good point. I think she was pretty set in her ways, in one ear and out the other but one cannot be too careful! My wife used to work for the same branch and brought me some goodies home in her time there. The coolest was probably a 34 5 Reichsmark. I know a lot of people want to see such a coin destroyed but I'm more along the lines of those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It's really a beautiful coin if you can get past the swastikas on it. I'm really getting into other country's coinage as of recent times. For some reason, Canadian silver really has a hold of me even though it's only 80 percent. One of these days I hope to come across one of older Sterling coins. I think I chose the wrong profession. Although I did find a crusty zincoln on the floor of an outhouse on location. It stayed there :lol:

That's a good point. I think she was pretty set in her ways, in one ear and out the other but one cannot be too careful! My wife used to work for the same branch and brought me some goodies home in her time there. The coolest was probably a 34 5 Reichsmark. I know a lot of people want to see such a coin destroyed but I'm more along the lines of those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It's really a beautiful coin if you can get past the swastikas on it. I'm really getting into other country's coinage as of recent times. For some reason, Canadian silver really has a hold of me even though it's only 80 percent. One of these days I hope to come across one of older Sterling coins. I think I chose the wrong profession. Although I did find a crusty zincoln on the floor of an outhouse on location. It stayed there :lol:
Cool! Speaking of "that" sign, I recently dug a big Boy Scouts of America token, "good luck" with the swas symbol on reverse.

Back
Top Bottom