• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

great county park manager

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I was detecting a rather small Dekalb County park. Had one totlot, a few trails, one nice open to anyone (not locked) baseball field and one basket ball court.

I parked near the totlot, hunted it and then moved downhill to the basketball court and hunted it. Came back to the car and found a county parks truck parked by me. oh no some Karen must have called. I went over to his driver side and introduced myself and told him what I was doing, hunting the totlot and basketball court but not the baseball field.

We chatted and he said I could hunt the dirt part of the field and dig and cover holes since they dragged that every week. Plus he said I could hunt the grass in the outfield, but only for recent drops, no digging. Well that was pretty nice. He then said a church leased the field for kickball once a week in the evening and that I should hunt it for recent drops the follwing day since the kickball players wore lots of bling.

a prince of a guy.

No need to ask the county desk jockies, the guys in the field working outside seem to be nicer and more agreeable to this hobby.

Plus he gave me the same permissions in two other county parks. This is the second time in that county (that states on its park's web site "no metal detecting allowed").

Plus he gave me the same permissions in two other county parks. This is the second time in that county (that states on its park's web site "no metal detecting allowed").

I am wondering if this is a case where minutia such-as-that exists, yet it is decades old and essentially forgotten. Ie.: No one currently is even aware of it. Like, if you'd have simply gone (w/o having bumped into that guy @ the incident of this particular post, and w/o having gotten his blessing), would anyone have even paid you any mind, in the first place ?

I had a similar experience a few days ago.

I was hunting under the old trees in a park that either had wood chips under them, or no wood chips, but the grass doesn't grow under them.

Anyway, a parks guy pulled up and said someone had come up to him and complained that someone was digging holes. I explained exactly what I was doing, and how I was doing it. I also told him that I'm not digging on the grass.

He said, "Ok, have fun"...and I did :)

I am wondering if this is a case where minutia such-as-that exists, yet it is decades old and essentially forgotten. Ie.: No one currently is even aware of it. Like, if you'd have simply gone (w/o having bumped into that guy @ the incident of this particular post, and w/o having gotten his blessing), would anyone have even paid you any mind, in the first place ?

Well I am not sure. The neighborhood used to be 100% black, but within the last few years all the older residents sold their homes for a tidy profit and the neighborhood went quite upscale to all $700k to $800k homes.

There are still some government housing within about 5 blocks of the park. The basketball court has 4 goals and in the last month two shootings. So the park removed all rims but one and are seriously considering removing all the goals. They also posted in big red letters no more than 20 people on the courts at one time. He said basketball courts attract the wrong element in Atlanta and often results in arguments and shootings.

I ask him if someone reported me in the park and he said no, he just checks all his assigned parks a couple of times each day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom