Abandoned City Property

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
I have an idea about gaining access to city ownEd properties, and wondered if anyone else has done this or considered it. I live near an old east coast city, originally established in the 1600s. Today, the city owns over 700 abandoned properties, most are uninhabitable, covered with trash, eyesores, which the city tries to sell for redevelopment. I was thinking about approachIng the city about access to some of these locations, whereby I would do some trash cleanup in exchange for metal detecting on the properties. It’s a crapshoot I think, that I will probably do a lot more cleanup (which will be good deed for the city) with some chance of finding coins or other items…could be many hours of cleanup for little return, but unsure…wondering what others think about this idea.

I have an idea about gaining access to city ownEd properties, and wondered if anyone else has done this or considered it. I live near an old east coast city, originally established in the 1600s. Today, the city owns over 700 abandoned properties, most are uninhabitable, covered with trash, eyesores, which the city tries to sell for redevelopment. I was thinking about approachIng the city about access to some of these locations, whereby I would do some trash cleanup in exchange for metal detecting on the properties. It’s a crapshoot I think, that I will probably do a lot more cleanup (which will be good deed for the city) with some chance of finding coins or other items…could be many hours of cleanup for little return, but unsure…wondering what others think about this idea.

Most guys just hit these spots without permission. I dont hunt vacant lots, and certainly would not trespass for maybe a few good finds. I highly doubt they would grant you permission due to liability issues, but it's worth a shot, worst they could say is no.

..... I was thinking about approachIng the city about access to some of these locations, .....

Are there ominous fences around the abandoned home/yards ??

Me thinks you will just become the latest victim of the "No one cared [or would have noticed] UNTIL you asked" club. :roll:

If that was going on in my area of CA, they would already be hit by md'rs. And yes, md'rs here will weed wack, rake, etc.... if that's what it takes to get going.

Me thinks you will just become the latest victim of the "No one cared [or would have noticed] UNTIL you asked" club. :roll:

If that was going on in my area of CA, they would already be hit by md'rs. And yes, md'rs here will weed wack, rake, etc.... if that's what it takes to get going.

Tom do you think I can detect around an old adobe state park fence? Outside the fence? I will ask park ranger for permission.

Tom do you think I can detect around an old adobe state park fence? Outside the fence? I will ask park ranger for permission.

If it's "outside the fence" (outside the state park), then why would you "need permission".

And ...... I think I know which adobe you're talking about anyhow :cool: PM me.

Do the vandals of abandoned property ask for permission?....

But H.H. : Don't you know what the difference is between those homeless people that camp there (or the vandals) , and us md'rs is ? EASY : They didn't go asking city officials "Can I ?".

If they had done so, then THEY TOO could have received a "no". And then they too could start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms. Hence : Shame on them, eh ?

(moral of the story ? :roll: )

Do the vandals of abandoned property ask for permission?
No fence and city/public owned I would definitely be hunting that!

Key word in this post is vandals :lol: I have no issue's with other's hunting these types of locations, but to the general public, it looks bad IMO. Oh and dont think just because your using a metal detector while trespassing you gain some sort of immunity from criminal charges. Not saying you WOULD be arrested for hunting a run down old crack house, but you COULD be arrested. I have not heard of anyone being charged for this in the past, but the possibility certainly exists. The looks I get when using my detector in ANY public space, suggests I could be a vandal as well :lol: I think in the decade I've been at this hobby, I hunted one vacant lot owned by a bank. I had the neighbors on each side asking me what I was up too. One even took my large cent, spit all over it in attempts to clean it for me, and then proceed to tell me he is a professional coin collector :laughing: just curiosity, but they could have just as easily called the police. Probably would have just gotten a "scram" but I'd rather not test the theory...

.... The looks I get when using my detector in ANY public space, suggests I could be a vandal as well :lol:.....

I mostly get people who: Don't care, don't notice, and don't pay any attention. And if persons DO approach me, it's mostly things like: "What's the best thing you ever found ?" and "How deep does it go ?" and "Where can I buy one of those things ?"

A lot of what drives the busy-body stink eyes, is driven by the VERY PERSONA WE DISPLAY ! If we are concentrating on the fears you describe (that someone's not gonna like it, blah blah), then we will be subconsciously looking over our shoulders. We will be subconsciously locking gazes with each passerby. With the skittish "Oh no, does he see me" persona / vibe.

And then sure as heck, passerbys (who probably didn't care less, nor would ever have noticed you), will pick up on those vibes. They will pick up on that evasive behavior . And will ask themselves : "Gee, what's that guy doing ?" :roll:

So do you see how our own attitudes and confidence actually drives the very outcome of this psychology ? So if you "act like you own the place", and just wave and smile, then those very same people NEVER EVEN REGISTER you. :roll:

I'm not against it, dont take me wrong. I just wouldn't personally do it in my area. I get haggled enough at public parks let alone private property. I thought frolicking in the park with an ice cream beforehand would help me fit in, maybe I should shave? :laughing:

Attachments

• pearls-sas-e1588169208985-300x183.jpg
    pearls-sas-e1588169208985-300x183.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 320
I'm not against it, dont take me wrong. I just wouldn't personally do it in my area. I get haggled enough at public parks let alone private property. I thought frolicking in the park with an ice cream beforehand would help me fit in, maybe I should shave? :laughing:

At a minimum drag a comb through it, I think I see a squirrel and maybe a bunny or 2. :lol:

Don't ever jump a fence here in FL. Unless you want a free room and food for a while. Even it the gate is open you still can get the above and more. Not worth the trouble it will cause you.

This. Don't be naive. The properties are abandoned. The taxes have not been paid. Obviously nobody cares about the property. If you ask government, government will say NO. The property is actually in legal limbo. The government cannot own it and has no desire to own it, the owner does not own it because he did not pay the taxes and most likely nobody else is paying the back taxes to gain ownership since the property is not worth investing in. The only reason to clean up the property is to gain the ability to swing your coil low to the ground. The normal people living around these properties will be happy for any little things you do. We do not detect these abandoned properties in our area for the simple reason that they are in dangerous, high crime areas.

Back
Top Bottom