Brass dishlike thing???

remmy

Forum Supporter
I found this item in the yard of a house built in 1794 that was the home of a colonel in the late 1800s. It has been sitting on my desk for months and i can not figure out what it is. It is made of brass and is relatively thich and sturdy. You can see that something broke off of it 180 degrees from the ball. Also, the ball has marks on it as if it were clamped in something that allowed it to swivel. Any ideas would be appreciated!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm clueless..but it looks like half of a mold of some sort...or some type of lid..cap..cover...can't see it that well..but maybe the marks were cut on purpose for finger grip.. I can't say I've ever seen anything exactly like it..

Covers the wick on a lantern. They'd turn down the flame and flip that over it. Not sure if its to extinguish it or just to keep the oil smell down.

Ive dug probably 50+ lanterns and a couple early ones had a lid like that. The ones I found didn't have a ball clasp, just a little handle. But maybe yours locked closed. Mine just flipped closed.

Maybe im wrong but thats what it looks like to me

If not maybe it had an identical one on the other side. And just held coins or small stuff.
But if I were a betting man id say lantern related.

It reminds me of some of the bolt hole covers that used to be on some antique beds in my parents house when I was a child. But- judging by the pictures it seems kind of heavy for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom