• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

For my Dad....

lsuwhodat

Hi folks. I know zip about detectors except that my Dad wants one. I remember growing up and he had a nice one that was probably a Whites or Garrett (25 years ago). He ended up selling it. He told me for Xmas he wanted one and sent me an Amazon link for a cheap Bounty Hunter similar time the one for $45 that’s listed now. The thing is I know deep down my Dad lives this, and I want to get him a better one. What is out there less than $100 that will be “somewhat” useful to him? I was looking on EBay for a used Garrett, White, Tesoro however I am not sure what to look for... Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to increase your budget a little to get anything that's not a toy. For $100 the bounty hunter tracker 4 is probably as good or better as anything in that price range. If you can get up closer to $200 the Garret ace 200 or a used 300 would be a good choice.

What a awesome thing to do for your dad!!

Check the link at the top of the page, List all sponsors, and maybe one of our Forum Sponsor can work something out for you.

Merry Christmas! :santa::xmas:

Seabee Ron. FYI I am a navy brat. Dad was a Sub guy.

Hi folks. I know zip about detectors except that my Dad wants one. I remember growing up and he had a nice one that was probably a Whites or Garrett (25 years ago). He ended up selling it. He told me for Xmas he wanted one and sent me an Amazon link for a cheap Bounty Hunter similar time the one for $45 that’s listed now. The thing is I know deep down my Dad lives this, and I want to get him a better one. What is out there less than $100 that will be “somewhat” useful to him? I was looking on EBay for a used Garrett, White, Tesoro however I am not sure what to look for... Help!

Lots of goodies have been found with those Bounty Hunter IV detectors. I hunted with one for a few years and found silver coins, lots of wheat pennies, and so on.

Brand new you won't find anything more reliable for less than 100 dollars. However, a lot of people turn to that detector and don't mention Bounty Hunter's other detectors that cost just a few dollars more and give you a screen with some visual feedback. (The needle gauge on the bounty hunter IV is completely useless.)

Looking at Amazon, they have the Bounty Hunter Lone Star for 124 dollars, the Lone Star Pro on sale for 104 dollars, and the Discovery 3300 for 130.

Or, here's a different idea, tell him you'll buy his handheld pinpointer if he decides to buy himself a detector. Nearly everyone who buys a pinpointer wishes they had one sooner but maybe didn't want to spend the money at first. A pinpointer is nearly essential and the overwhelming favorite is the Garrett Pro Pointer AT, which costs about 125.

Thanks. He has a pinpointer already. Already thought of that idea, lol.

Seabee Ron. FYI I am a navy brat. Dad was a Sub guy.

Submarines are the Only Way To Fly. Served in five different ones and lost count of the number of ones that I spent at least a week at sea on.

RMC(SS) USN-RET.

If you haven't scooped up a detector yet, I have an article - Metal Detecting Life that may help give you a little bit more information and help you decide what to get your dad (awesome gift by the way!)

Back
Top Bottom