• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My cache story

Cladius

Elite Member
I might as well get the thread started. Back in 1974 I was helping tear down a burnt house and started finding hundreds of quarters. It seemed the woman who had lived there collected them and had the in a dresser next to a wall that collasped when the house burned spreading the coins accross two rooms. I was bent over picking coins and not paying attention and bumped heads with my partner who was working his way in from the other room, we almost knocked each other out! The fire had burned so hot that some of the coins were actually melted together. We ended trading them for tools and work cloaths at a local store because the bank wouldn't take them. I wish I had kept them now just for the silver content if nothing else. I was young and didn't even think of the numistic value of them. live and learn. Cladius.

Great story Claudius! I hear ya about being young and stupid. Between the old coins I had in my collection as a kid, and of course the old baseball cards I sold off years ago, I gave away a small fortune!! If only I'd known then what I know now! Nice to hear from you!

My parents both some property that had a house burn and we found coins for the longest time sitting on top of the ground after a rain. That was 20 years ago. Maybe I should go back and hunt.

Good idea farmall, and this is a great post to start this forum. We all know the caches are out there. People back then either had no access to a bank, or didn't trust them. (can't blame 'em)

When ever I see an old house that's what I think of. I had yet to find a cache. But I think my day will come.

pic 1 - I did find sort of a cache though once on a beach. A child had buried all his little McDonald and Burger King toys, all still in their original package, along with some Marti Gra tokens in a bag about a foot deep in the dry sand. I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't for the tokens.

pic 2 - The only other thing I heard was that before the 1938 hurricane, a lady was saving all her Mercury dimes in a jar. The beach house of course was destroyed. We found many Mercs on the beach every time we went there.

Attachments

• kidscache_965.jpg
    kidscache_965.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • lostmercbeach_302.jpg
    lostmercbeach_302.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,096
Carol those mardi gras coins must ring sweet being large and alluminum!

Hey Cladius
Great story and Oh to be young again. Im sure you have heard the words( if only knew what I know now back then) :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
L.I. Mike

That's the truth Mike! I don't know if I would want to suffer through the whole deal but it would be good to go back for a few selected years and modify the future! :yes:

Carol K said:
Good idea farmall, and this is a great post to start this forum. We all know the caches are out there. People back then either had no access to a bank, or didn't trust them. (can't blame 'em)

I don't trust 'em now. I better not find you guys diggin around in my yard, lol.

Boy, the thought of finding a cashe just trips my trigger. I'm gonna work hard on doing just that this year. Great story. Love to read things like this.

Back
Top Bottom