Found in Confederate Camp

chrisggard

Found this large copper piece in a CSA camp today. I thought it was brass but after cleaning it a bit I noticed a spot the digger must have nicked and its shining like copper.

Hope its off a cannon??

Threaded on both ends about half inch down the hole and smooth in between. Weighs 1/2 to around 1lb pretty heavy.

Thanks for any help and HH:D

Attachments

• copper one.jpg
    copper one.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 498
  • copper two.jpg
    copper two.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 498
  • copper three.jpg
    copper three.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 498
Don't assume it's anything ..

Just because it was found in a civil war camp area doesn't place it in the civil war. Remember since that time many other feet have walked over it and maybe even camped there after the civil war.
It appears to be from anything that had crank that turned and the handle that rotated while whatever it was from ... maybe it had a rope threw it and it was used to pull a dinner bell ... or if you want to make it more interesting maybe it was from a Gatling gun crank ? One thing for sure ... it's anyone's guess . That being the case ... nice find! IMHO, Woodstock

a Gatling gun crank

Ill take that to the bank! :D

I realize it could be anything but we all have hopes and fish stories. A cannonball was found within a couple hundred feet of where this was and at that depth I was thinking most likely period. All the post war stuff dug up was only a couple to a few inches down. The area hasn't been disturbed by plows or tractors, buildings or other "earth moving". Just a flat sweet honey hole (or so ill find out after time:yes:)

I don't see any proof yet that it's not. To be 100% sure,you will have to look up an expert /restorer to verify it. Awesome find.

That is just too cool!! You were hoping cannon but a gatling gun is way more awesome!! Hope it's the real deal, sure looks like it!

Theres a local civil war artifact dealer in town ill take it to this week and get his impression on it. Hell probably tell me its a celery slicer or some odd ball thing. :laughing:

Thanks for all the replys guys!

First, only Union forces used the gun. The patent is 1861, but it never really came into play until near the end of the war. They may have been used in the Knoxville area (if that is where it was found), but it would likely have been after the war, when their use increased significantly. I kind of agree with the above post. A handle to a bell seems a whole lot more likely.

First, only Union forces used the gun. The patent is 1861, but it never really came into play until near the end of the war. They may have been used in the Knoxville area (if that is where it was found), but it would likely have been after the war, when their use increased significantly. I kind of agree with the above post. A handle to a bell seems a whole lot more likely.

That would be one heavy bell...

Maybe its off a Coffee Grinder Gun ;)

Ill check with the relic guy tomorrow, he owns a frame shop / civil war artifact store here in Knoxville and ill report back what he says.

I need to get one of them to keep the coons out of my trash can :laughing:

That might work, but maybe you should get the whole gatling gun, a handle will probably only hit one coon at a time. :laughing:

I'm sorry, but you did leave the door open and I think I am funny.

So the dealer wasnt sure. Only said "its old and brass" but he did give me a civil war dealers and collectors directory full of contact information ill try sending some pics to a few emails and see what happens. Ill bump the thread if anything comes from it.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Back
Top Bottom