Fill your beach holes ? I don't !

I am an old time beach hunter.

You may be an old time beach hunter, but you're new to this forum. This is your first thread?? Sounds like you might be here just to ruffle feathers!

What will the next thread be?

Let me guess.... you primarily hunt beaches, but want to know what everyone thinks about you searching old graveyards at night? They are already dead right?? :laughing:

Romy - you hit it on the head. But I'm not talking about extremes ( blind peeps, crazy untaught kids,etc). Yes , if you swing past a buried fish hook and some poor sap steps on it and gets injured , it's no different than an open hole ! I personally just don't want to hear it from a hypocrite. I'm talking about holes on a hot spot with maybe 15 or 20 people in a quarter mile stretch. I just won't bother. If there are hundreds or thousands like in the middle of the summer heat of course I fill ALL my holes. Or I just don't hunt. Simple , common sense. No , I don't want to see people hurt. But as another commenter said "people like you are why mders would be banned " the same could then be said for those that don't retrieve dangerous trash that they swing over.

Fill your holes. Don’t make excuses for being lazy.

THIS.

I see people justify and excuse their behavior with that same logic for leaving trash on the beach.

"Why should I pick up my trash, when someone else is going to do it for me in the next 12 hours?"

Seriously. We've all seen the piles of trash left behind by beach-goers. Their justification/excuse is exactly what you're purporting about the holes.

In the friendliest way I can, I strongly suggest you re-evaluate whether or not filling in your holes is the "courteous" thing to do, regardless of whether or no the ocean (or someone else) fills them in for you. Nobody wants to watch their kid running on the beach, looking behind them to catch a ball, break a foot in a hole.

Sure, can it happen from kids digging their own holes at the beach? Yep. Doesn't mean courtesy can't be applied here.

Mudpuppy has the right of it, as usual, calling you out in the extra friendly way. I can't do that though. If you think you're wasting all of your time by sideswiping sand into a hole, then you must be really after that extra 5th piece of lead weight.

Plus, you opened a new account with the statement expecting exactly what you got, here. I love it when people KNOW they could be a better human being, and post stuff on forums justifying why they SHOULDN'T be. LOL We've all done it. I'm not innocent either, but dang. We can be better humans.

Skippy

I fill in my holes and it's none of my business what others do. Lighten up y'all. Do what you like and give that same opportunity to others. Bury your hole or don't bury your hole. Whatever.

If I have a lot of time and are in need of some"chillin" time I dig up everything and of course dispose of trash. If I am limited for time I use discrimination and only dig good targets. I bury every hole I dig. The exercise won't kill me.... at least I hope not.

Do what you like. Your business is none of mine and mine is none of yours. Be kind to each other. Smile and chill.

Yes , if you swing past a buried fish hook and some poor sap steps on it and gets injured , it's no different than an open hole ! I personally just don't want to hear it from a hypocrite.

I've never beach hunted, but is this seriously your rationale? If I don't dig and retrieve an unknown fish hook, it's the same as intentionally creating and leaving holes that someone could hurt themselves on?

It's usually the person who claims others are hypocrites, that has the problem.

I've never beach hunted, but is this seriously your rationale? If I don't dig and retrieve an unknown fish hook, it's the same as intentionally creating and leaving holes that someone could hurt themselves on?

Ya i didnt even want to respond to his response :laughing: but im glad you seen it and agree, :cool: leaving holes all over the beach and not using a PI to dig all the trash are in no comparison :roll: I use a PI when im in the black sand :cool3: other than that i use a machine that sees past the junk so i can find the treasure mixed in the trash not because i want to leave behind the fish hooks :laughing: i think he honestly came here to fight :no: he makes no sense :no: The Right Tool For The Job :cool:

This is a no brainer, non-topic. FILL YOUR HOLES EVERY TIME, dirt, beach, dry, wet, it doesn't matter. We are limited in what we do by how the public perceives us. Injuries aside (or groin injuries as mud-puppy mentioned :laughing:) the public has a lot of sway in our hobby. If I leave the beach like a warzone someone is going to think I'm a jerk for ruining their beach and making it ugly. The lifeguards will call you out, a beach goer will call you out, the mayors wife will call you out, and eventually metal detecting will not be allowed or certainly be frowned on.

We should be friendly to those who ask us what we find, we should dig the garbage and toss it in the trash can, and make the beach nicer than we found it. Promote the hobby, don't trash it.

Yes, I always do my part to pick up plastic and garbage as I walk by it. And I dig 90% of the targets with my nox. The 10% I don't is because I'm too tired at the end of the hunt.

I looked at his other post and he is just here to piss people off =( he comments on a thread called other hobbies asking members what there other hobbies are and post
"If I'm not metal detecting , I'm at the strip club "making it rain" with all the clad I've found. It's a different kind of hunt ... "

and another thread started called tattoos, asking if members have MDing Tattoos
He post " Why would I ruin a perfectly good canvas with any tattoo ? " after many showed there very nice tributes =( Totally here to stir up trouble and i will ignore him . Hope he gets banned cause this is the friendly forum this guy has nothing friendly to say

This is a no brainer, non-topic. FILL YOUR HOLES EVERY TIME, dirt, beach, dry, wet, it doesn't matter. We are limited in what we do by how the public perceives us. Injuries aside (or groin injuries as mud-puppy mentioned :laughing:) the public has a lot of sway in our hobby. If I leave the beach like a warzone someone is going to think I'm a jerk for ruining their beach and making it ugly. The lifeguards will call you out, a beach goer will call you out, the mayors wife will call you out, and eventually metal detecting will not be allowed or certainly be frowned on.

We should be friendly to those who ask us what we find, we should dig the garbage and toss it in the trash can, and make the beach nicer than we found it. Promote the hobby, don't trash it.

Yes, I always do my part to pick up plastic and garbage as I walk by it. And I dig 90% of the targets with my nox. The 10% I don't is because I'm too tired at the end of the hunt.

Nailed it 100% :cool3: So Well Said RRF

Folks. Not here to cause trouble. Just my observations of what I see here in Florida and California on the beach. Telling you what I do and asking what you do. Not what I should do. Not talking about picking up everybody's trash. Some responses to other posts are made in humor. Not talking about a minefield with 50,000 people around. If you can't read or understand my post or my responses, well.. that's on you. Don't take life that seriously.

Reading some of these posts reminds how far apart some cultures are. Where I hunt nobody has a finds bag. No holes get filled. If the target is valuable and can be sold it gets put in the pocket. If its garbage it gets left beside the unfilled hole.
I spend 20% of my hunting time refilling holes while the eq/ctx horde do circles around me.. makes me feel like an idiot everytime

I had a nice long response to this but I erased it, better to just say one thing, you are the type of person who gets us all banned because of your bad, lazy and unethical habits.

It all goes back to watch where you are walking , plain and simple. Do you drive with a blindfold on ? No. It's common sense. But you are missing the main point of the post. What about you peeps that don't dig the small iron fish hooks, needles ,etc ? It's obvious the ones most upset at hole filling are the guilty ones by there responses. They can't handle the truth !
It’s not as simple as you make out, our cognitive functions will automatically insist we are more aware in places that have the potential for physical harm, crossing the street, driving a car, trekking in the jungle etc, less aware when in places your animal brain assumes there is less chance of danger.

The only time I won't fill in my holes is when I know the waves will do it straight away for me. One of my holes got filled up a dozen times today before I even had the chance to get it out...that's the hardest I've worked for a 5c coin :lol:

But in the dry sand or when the waves aren't big, I always fill in my holes. Same goes for playgrounds.

If you know it's a fish hook or a nail or some other !!!!... isnt that just as bad as leaving a hole? The hole will get filled in whereas that fish hook will still be there tomorrow... suppose that lady running down the beach stepped in the soft sand and got that fishing hook in her foot that you passed over instead of digging and removing

Last edited:
So...Are you 1 of those beach hunters that always fill your holes and DON'T dig and remove all your trash ? Guys with a discriminating detector are only lying to themselves if they dig and keep everything ! Otherwise , why discriminate ? What do you do ? Just curious....

Yep, always fill my holes...always!
I hunt with PI's, VLF's you name it.
I dig it all and I always pack out my trash!

If you know it's a fish hook or a nail or some other !!!!... isnt that just as bad as leaving a hole? The hole will get filled in whereas that fish hook will still be there tomorrow... suppose that lady running down the beach stepped in the soft sand and got that fishing hook in her foot that you passed over instead of digging and removing

No its not, :wow: no one is intentionally is putting fish hooks everywhere in the sand to step on, there is MAYBE one fish hook or nail per 100 square feet . Now if you step in sand and your foot sinks into the loose sand a hook or nail will sink as well, so if i step on something sharp but there is no resistance than my foot its tougher and will push the hook into the sand further :cool:, only when the hook meets Resistance will it stab you, Basic Physics :cool: Now that being said if its a pissing contest hooks are safer in the sand then holes placed every few yards :laughing:, all in all neither is safe, but detectorest have no clue in knowing one null from the next :?: so to say we are leaving fish hooks & nails on purpose is just non sense so just quit, its not cool to leave trash nor is it cool to leave holes for public safety or for animal safety, we are in the eyes of the public at all times we have all seen many towns and city parks that have banned metal detecting :mad: :mad: and i bet you it all led back to someone not filling holes and or picking up and hauling out there trash . That being said think before you do stuff :roll: come on yall its not that hard :D Pick up the trash cover your holes and dont be rude to the public . ................P.S I've spent my whole life fishing and surfing along our coast and not once in my whole life have i got a fish hook or nail in my foot maybe about half a dozen stingray barbs but not one nail or fish hook 100% truth, But i learned one night dry sand hunting to fill in my holes the hard way, as a rookie before i made my little pretty grid patterns in the sand :laughing: I dam near broke my leg falling in one of my own holes in the dark aimlessly walking around :laughing: i looked up all mad like what the heck and who the heck, then i realized i just fell in a hole i dug a stupid beer can outta like 10 mins ago :laughing: I was like wow man thats not safe :laughing: didnt take me but all of maybe 3 trips to the sand to figure that out but hey i also am a fast learner for learning things the hard way :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom