I don't know much about bells

Kapi

Forum Supporter
But I always wanted to find one. Today was the day! My first bell. I don't know what it's made out of but it was a very high overload tone, not a null, on the excal. Now to figure out how and if to clean it. 3.2 pounds

Yeah yeah I know it's not a 47 stone diamond ring or an 1829 coin but I still think it's neato!

Attachments

• Feb 24 17 Bell.jpg
    Feb 24 17 Bell.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 386
Clean it by electrolysis, don't try a wire brush or chemicals.
There are how to videos on how to make cheap electrolysis tanks, on U-tube.
Even the weekend boy scout can make one.

With a tape measure how big is it? I don't know how big that gum thing is?
Is there a hole on the top where a handle might have threaded into it?
Right off I'd say a bell that might have been on a school teachers desk ?

Nice find there!! Very NEATO !

At three pounds or more I guess maybe something else...?
What was the location it was found ? Maybe a chuck-wagon bell?

Last edited:
Clean it by electrolysis, don't try a wire brush or chemicals.
There are how to videos on how to make cheap electrolysis tanks, on U-tube.
Even the weekend boy scout can make one.

With a tape measure how big is it? I don't know how big that gum thing is?
Is there a hole on the top where a handle might have threaded into it?
Right off I'd say a bell that might have been on a school teachers desk ?

Nice find there!! Very NEATO !

At three pounds or more I guess maybe something else...?
What was the location it was found ? Maybe a chuck-wagon bell?

I'll be using electrolysis I just have to get bigger alligator clips. It's 6 1/2 inches wide at the widest point and 4 1/2 inches tall. There appears to be at least a dip at the top, perhaps a hole but there's too much impacted around it to tell if it goes through, it appears to not be a hole but more a dimple. It was found on the beach.

On the beach then, more likely a boat bell, or from a dock?
Hope when you get it cleaner it may give more clues , like etchings, designs or writing or a date!
Keep us posted!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I have a huge soft spot for bells! That one there is a beauty! Is it brass/bronze?

"The Bells" by Edgar Allen Poe was the first poem my Daughter memorized when she was about 6yrs old.."What a world of happiness their harmony foretells!" I cant wait to see the clean up! Get that bell singing again if you can!

Imagine when was the last time a Human heard its melody? Who were they? Under what circumstances? Wonderful find there Kapi!

That must have been a blast in your headphones Barbara.. its much larger than the cannonball I found... were you wearing the skullies?

But I always wanted to find one. Today was the day! My first bell. I don't know what it's made out of but it was a very high overload tone, not a null, on the excal. Now to figure out how and if to clean it. 3.2 pounds

Yeah yeah I know it's not a 47 stone diamond ring or an 1829 coin but I still think it's neato!

Kapi-

I'd suggest it's Marine Brass...go gently...

ag

Awesome find! Maybe Scoundrel is your best bet how to preserve the bell best. Might be best to take some X-ray scans for markings or so. Cleaning it, would be the last thing I would do, and only if its not from an old ship. You might destroy value by cleaning this patina ;)

Back
Top Bottom