This years permission form...critique please.

Hi all,

This is a first draft of my permission form. It will be printed out on half-sheets letter size. Will also probably make it a 2-part NCR so the property owner/agent will have a copy.

Would appreciate any insights y'all may have.

PDF Permission Form

Looks pretty good and would be handy to show people that think you shouldn’t be there. Some suggestions I thought of while reading to remove any ambiguity.....

Where it says “Detector will report all significant finds to me” Change “me “ to “owner/authorised agent”. Likewise where it says that others must be accompanied by detector change “detector” to “person named on this Permission Note” or leave space for the name of the person that has the permission.
Cheers EldoradoMick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That rarely happens. And if it does, you just tell them who gave you permission.

True. And even to the extent is sometimes DOES happen (eg.: inside oldtown demolition sites after 5pm), you'd be surprised how often a silly answer like this works :

"The guy in the blue jeans and T-shirt who was here earlier said ok" (which describes just about every single guy on a demolition site, eh ?) And I have NEVER had anyone ask: "Show me that in print".

Unless you are contacted to professionally recover something specific I have no idea why anyone would ever sign a permission form. I know I would never sign one unless it were to protect my rights. For example, if I were the land owner I would want the person hunting to be responsible for any and all damage they may directly or indirectly cause, and release me from liability from any injury.

If you're hurt, no matter what the reason, too bad for you.

If you dig a hole and damage a fiber optic line, gas line, etc. then if it costs $25,000 (maybe even more) to fix... well that's on you. I happen to own some property and I know there's a 50 pair communications cable buried and nobody would ever believe a cable would be buried in that area. The cable isn't deep... just below the surface in many areas.

If you get verbal permission to hunt, then hunt. If someone asks you to leave, then leave. Simple.

-Joe

From a hobbiest perspective I understand what you're trying to accomplish and I admire the above board attempt.

From a homeowner / landowner perspective there's no way I would sign such a form unless I was asking for you to find something for me.

Just my humble opinion.

-Joe

Totally agree here. A formal piece of paper is a complete turn off and could do more damage than good. After asking permissions this last 10 years I have found the more complicated you make in the land owner relationship the less likely you will be detecting the grounds. Keep it simple, your selling yourself, remember most people just don't trust Lawyer's. Trapper

Looks pretty good and would be handy to show people that think you shouldn’t be there.

I had verbal permission to detect anytime i wanted at a 1910 house being rehabbed in the city with neighbors all around it. The permission would expire at the end of the job. The head guy gave me his cell number in case anyone raised heck about me being there when the crew wasn't. I never had to use it. Found two silvers there. :yes:

Hi all,

This is a first draft of my permission form. It will be printed out on half-sheets letter size. Will also probably make it a 2-part NCR so the property owner/agent will have a copy.

Would appreciate any insights y'all may have.

PDF Permission Form

looks good, except for the (truthful) small holes part!.if i was reading this, the answer would be "no" and i am a detectorist like you! don't want anyone digging my property up period! i believe it's why we have to go to such great lengths to hunt private property in the first place! people generally just don't want ya on their property, because of liability issues! regardless of official forms or what not! i'm just saying'..times we live in !..i guess!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Totally agree here. A formal piece of paper is a complete turn off and could do more damage than good. After asking permissions this last 10 years I have found the more complicated you make in the land owner relationship the less likely you will be detecting the grounds. Keep it simple, your selling yourself, remember most people just don't trust Lawyer's. Trapper

this is ''dead nuts" accurate! people feel uncomfortable when presented with legal" documents especially "complicated ones"..if it was my property, and i AM a detectorist like you, my answer would be "no!" and i would be "nervous" until you left my property...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I’m afraid any formal form would turn people off. If somebody handed me that to read I’d hand it right back and say “no thank you”. Guarantee most don’t want to read it, too long.

agreed! don't want any part of that if it was MY property! get in your car and see ya! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I know exactly what you're saying. I've run a tree business for years and stopped doing contracts a long time ago. That said, some "clients" will want something on paper.

And sometimes I'll need something on paper, especially for commercial sites or those places with absentee owners that the cops just love to surveil. :nono:

This would be just one more tool in the box.

as was mentioned, not a good tool in the box! the world is full of salesmanship!
sooner or later everyone buys something! "sell yourself!"..no contracts! the average schmuck will turn ya down! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Point very well taken., Edits being made. Here's the new version of that section:

Recovery & Extraction

It is understood that recovery & extraction of detected items may require the cutting of small plugs, generally 4 to 8 inches in diameter. All recovery & extraction shall be performed according to generally accepted detecting standards. Any plugs cut will be replaced and returned as nearly as possible to original condition.​

this is very smooth and well defined, however,you have to assume the average
intelligent person will still determine you are "digging!" but a more "flowery" way of stating the same thing! ya gonna make holes! ya gonna dig!..period!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

From a hobbiest perspective I understand what you're trying to accomplish and I admire the above board attempt.

From a homeowner / landowner perspective there's no way I would sign such a form unless I was asking for you to find something for me.

Just my humble opinion.

-Joe

in my view, one has to look at this from the home owners perspective.i too admire your "cleverness" ,(if you will) for attempting to "help" yourself in the hobby, however, legally "couched" documents that require a 'signature" to allow permission to hunt property would alarm the vast majority of folks, especially in regards to "metal detecting" someones property! it comes off as being too complicated and overwhelms the homeowner who then gets nervous and won't sign and will ask you to leave! better off just to be friendly and ask permission! that's it! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom