Amish Love Silver Coins??

tjr35

Elite Member
Has anyone heard of this theory? I was working up in Northern Indiana last week and talking with a guy who hoards silver coins. There are a lot of Amish/Mennonite in that area and he was saying that they love silver coins. He was telling me that he would could get milk, eggs, cheese, bread etc... for like one silver dime?? Seems kinda interesting since melt value of a silver dime is only about $2.70. Just curious if any one has heard of this??

Never heard this theory, but

If a man is running a farm and produces milk and eggs, and his wife can make bread and cheese, I am guessing that he can make a profit for $2.70. And the income tax on a dime is pretty small compared to the tax on $2.70.

Thanks,
John Morton

There are some Mennonites around here. They shop at WalMart like everyone else. They keep to themselves and travel in groups alot. I have noticed that most of their children have blonde hair, even if the parents don't.........

Dusty

Yeah, they have to have the big orange triangles (slow moving vehicle) on their buggies here, but the horses normally trot along at a decent pace.....

Dusty

News to me !

We've got a fairly large # of Amish hereabouts. Nice bunch of people. Talked with a few and have often wondered what it would be like to spend a day with a family and see just how hard their way of life is. I bet they'd work me stupid. :lol: Although that would be a short trip for this fellow. ;)
Marty

My uncle had a group of about 6 or 7 Amish men come to rebuild the roof on the barn at the farmhouse. They stayed the night at the farmhouse for a couple days until the work was done. They were good folks and hard workers.

They loved drinking Pepsi. But that's cause they were from above the Mason Dixon line.

<<<Deleted by Admin>>>
:lol: You sound like my wife. We live in a very small town which consists of mostly Amish, most of them are very nice people. The Amish around us have no electricity or running water and won't use slow moving vehicle signs, have to be very careful driving as they are out all times of the night and in all kinds of weather and are hard to see.

Attachments

• amish buggy sign 217802783_1a227857fe (Small).jpg
    amish buggy sign 217802783_1a227857fe (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 840
Last edited by a moderator:
2 minutes

2 minutes from my house is Amish and Mennonite central. I am sure everybody has heard of Lancaster, Pa. Horse and buggies everywhere. The Mennonite' s drive totally black vehicles. Not a speck of chrome. If you drive past a Mennonite church on Sunday it looks like the Secret Service is parked there. Its funny to watch the Amish using cell phones , use weed whackers, and watching the football game at the local bar. Irony:?:All the New Yorkers from the city come to Amish country by buses. Don't know what the lure is?

There is a large Mennonite population in the next state over from me here, in Campeche. I see quite a few of them when they come to the city, mostly at hardware stores and buying basics like flour and salt...I've talked to them a few times and they are really nice folks.

2 minutes from my house is Amish and Mennonite central. I am sure everybody has heard of Lancaster, Pa. Horse and buggies everywhere. The Mennonite' s drive totally black vehicles. Not a speck of chrome. If you drive past a Mennonite church on Sunday it looks like the Secret Service is parked there. Its funny to watch the Amish using cell phones , use weed whackers, and watching the football game at the local bar. Irony:?:All the New Yorkers from the city come to Amish country by buses. Don't know what the lure is?

yep its the same around the berks area, i did hear that amish don't believe in wedding rings so i guess i won't be finding any of those in their yards:mad:

If inflation gets as bad as some people are predicting, we may all be using silver coins for everyday transactions. The Amish might just be ahead of the game. :lol:

I'm surrounded by them..Next door neighbor runs his generator constantly, loves his weedeater and leafblower and chainsaw and outdoor bell for the telephone. So-much for the peace and quiet of living way back in the woods!:mad:..I detect alot of old farms that have been bought-up broke-down and divided up by the amish. A few of the Amish have told me that theres a couple of Amishmen with detectors around these parts hitting the farms. :shock:

Lots of Mennonites around here and Amish down in central Illinois. I think there might be a small community of them over near the Quad Cities as I have seen the horse and buggy signs on some of the rural roads near there. The Mennonites here drive, have electricity, phones, etc, but dress very similiar to the Amish. All seem to be very nice friendly people and, as others have noted, very hard working.

I grew up in Amish country. All of my neighbors were amish. I guess when you practically live amongst them, you tend to get a different opinion of them. First, they are not as pure and honest as one might think. There's many secrets to their world that most never get to witness. I've seen many occasions where they place a higher value on their livestock than they do their own kids. Most are quite friendly when you are around them. One of my best friends growing up was amish, but when other amish kids would come around, I soon found myself on the outs. It was that way with the adults too. Most of my neighbors had a phoneline that they would share with the english neighbor that ran underground to a phone in their basement... That was pre-cell phone days though...now nearly all amish have cell phones. It's a big business in my parts to be a "Yoder-loader" aka, amish hauler. A teacher at our school had her car hit by an amish buggy...yes, by an amish buggy..pfft. He ran the buggy down the side of her van and he eventually came back when he had control of the horse... no phone, no insurance... He said the church will pay for all the damages. Not a bad thing I guess. Here's an interesting read from an autobiography of a fella that lives near us... pretty wild story. http://www.amishabuse.com/

I grew up in Amish country. All of my neighbors were amish. I guess when you practically live amongst them, you tend to get a different opinion of them. First, they are not as pure and honest as one might think. There's many secrets to their world that most never get to witness. I've seen many occasions where they place a higher value on their livestock than they do their own kids. Most are quite friendly when you are around them. One of my best friends growing up was amish, but when other amish kids would come around, I soon found myself on the outs. It was that way with the adults too. Most of my neighbors had a phoneline that they would share with the english neighbor that ran underground to a phone in their basement... That was pre-cell phone days though...now nearly all amish have cell phones. It's a big business in my parts to be a "Yoder-loader" aka, amish hauler. A teacher at our school had her car hit by an amish buggy...yes, by an amish buggy..pfft. He ran the buggy down the side of her van and he eventually came back when he had control of the horse... no phone, no insurance... He said the church will pay for all the damages. Not a bad thing I guess. Here's an interesting read from an autobiography of a fella that lives near us... pretty wild story. http://www.amishabuse.com/

The rules of their church, the Ordnung, must be observed by every member. These rules cover most aspects of day-to-day living, and include prohibitions or limitations on the use of electricity, telephones and automobiles, as well as regulations on clothing. Many Amish church members may not buy insurance or accept government assistance such as Social Security. As Anabaptists, Amish church members practice nonresistance and will not perform any type of military service.

I have a friend that is in the maters program with me and he's from China. We have tons of Pennsylvania Dutch up here. We were going to Wal Mart one day and he flipped out! "Horse drive on street?! They do time travel!" Ha, I told them that they don't like their picture taken but he couldn't help it and as we drove by he snapped a few shots. In the two years that he's been here we've done everything we can to provide him with the America we'd want to experience if we were in his shoes. He's a beer swilling, gun shootin' dude who loves D.C. I'll just never forget that reaction. Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom